Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Moving to FL

by GTison
    Replies
    Views

Re: Moving to FL

The Withlacoochee Bluegrass festival in Dunnellon. When they have it again. link to their FB. https://www.facebook.com/tinroofshackproductions
  2. Re: How did the "curl" on the mandolin body evolve?

Yes, old Gibson’s bad taste in design is at fault for creating some of the most iconic mandolins, banjos, and guitars (acoustic and electric) over the last 120 years. Gibson has had (and continues to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: jams with friends during covid

This is how I am feeling right now. I am an "essential employee" (healthcare provider,) I have been tested (required by our governor,) and was negative. I am over 65 with asthma (but otherwise...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing with wrist/thumb pain

I've been able to cut back over the years. I now take one 220mg tablet twice a day. Ten years ago, I was taking THREE twice a day, along with horse-pill aspirins. My doctor wasn't thrilled with...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: New Mandolin Day!

Thought I would share my fun from the opening. VERY happy about this... 186572186573186571
  6. Replies
    Views

I've been taking Naproxen twice a day for years to cut the pain in various arthritic joints -- including the bases of both thumbs. I hope that works for you.
  7. Replies
    Views

That’s good and bad news. My wife prolongs the time between steroid shots for that issue in her right thumb with exercise. She went from 3 month intervals to 5-6 months after she started lifting...
  8. Replies
    Views

When I went to the hand surgeon he commented that he operated on hands not as bad as mine. Didn’t hurt unless I bumped it back toward my wrist, then writhing in agony. But I followed his guidance,...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: How much do you practice?

While practice is essential to keep your playing ability up and for learning new tunes, for a beginner a few lessons to make sure you're doing it correctly can be of great benefit. Practicing bad...
  10. Replies
    Views

Some thumb pain is the result of pinched nerves in the C-6 area of your neck. I do daily neck-stretching exercises to control it, usually reasonably well. If your pain doesn't clear up, you might...
  11. Replies
    Views

Those details sound very familiar. Best of luck to you!
  12. Replies
    Views

curling up my index fingers tightly with my right hand holding the pick all these years,
    and with the left, getting those 1st fret notes , has taken its toll..

:whistling:
  13. Replies
    Views

Eat more protein and mega vitamin s,more like a body builders diet..
  14. Replies
    Views

...Another thought about your problem-- I never play with my wrist bent. I have the mandolin (or guitar) positioned so my forearm and hand are straight. The tendons that control the fingers connect...
  15. Replies
    Views

I wish you the best of luck with this, you have a lot of sympathetic ears here, including mine.

It's worth mentioning, some things can't be reliably fixed, so sometimes the best option is simply...
  16. Replies
    Views

I've also had this issue with the left thumb palm area "the trapezius bone" I think anyway, I seen a Dr. and he gave me a cortisone shot but didn't help so I wore a hand brace every night at bed time...
  17. Replies
    Views

I had this problem for a while. It was so bad that I found a physical therapist in Atlanta who had experience in dealing with--get this--stringed instrument musicians. It seems that he'd done PT...
  18. Replies
    Views

I had the same problem after some overly aggressive practice sessions. I bought a wrist support that I wear at night that keeps my wrist in a neutral position. It has helped greatly. I also cut my...
  19. Replies
    Views

If you haven't yet, see your doctor. I suffered for 6 months with pain much like yours, doing everything I could think of to include not playing at all to give the left hand a rest. Nothing worked....
  20. Replies
    Views

When I started with the mandolin from guitar I had issues too. Mine were in the right elbow from incorrect pick technique. I had to quit playing for about six months before it completely healed up....
  21. Replies
    Views

From my experience with DeQuervain syndrome, which is an inflammation of the thumb tendon, I followed the doctor's advice and stopped doing the things that initiated the pain. DUH. But I also...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin will not stay in tune

Put plenty string on. Have it wound round the machinehead about 5 times at least. Heavier strings stay in tuen better I reckon. New strings take time and quite likely to still be stretching. I...
  23. Replies
    Views

New strings are as close to a silver bullet magic solution as it gets. I know it is time to change strings when I can't get the thing in tune. Then I play like that for a month, finally break down...
  24. Replies
    Views

Personally, I would put Mediums on, as they give a better tone than lights on an F5, but that is just my preference.

Seeing as the strings are already 3 months old, I would suggest it is time to...
  25. Replies
    Views

One thing you did not mention is, to what degree it goes out of tune. Are we talking about a little adjustment before playing or is it totally whacked out on a daily basis. Do a close inspection of...
Page 1 of 2 1 2