Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Question for pickers who play BOTH mandolin and guitar

But I always wanted to BE a cowboy! And I've been playing country and bluegrass music with standard tuning for nearly 60 years. Too old to start doing otherwise!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Thoughts on String Gauges

I use a heavy gauge on my main mandolin because I play bluegrass and a) need the volume and b) love the chop sound they provide.Recently, however, as I’ve been struggling with developing new skills...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The end of my playing days.

Ivan, You didn’t know it, but you were the reason I bought my Weber Fern! I think of you often whenever I take it down off the wall, and I’m going to play the best I possibly can for you. You deserve...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Different ways of learning

I agree that my learning is a mix of many approaches. I've become much better at learning by ear, but that's taken me a long time. If I hadn't had the option to learn some basic tunes from sheet...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Coming to America

Australia and the US are about the same size.....
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: double stops "up the neck"

Phil, I just got to the Tiny/Up TENT/Down TENT section of Laura's wonderful book. It is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. I had found some useful videos (some mentioned above) for using DS on specific...
  7. Replies
    Views

double stops "up the neck"

I've recently figures out how to pick out melodies "up the neck", using the plant-your-pointer-finger-on-the-root-note method. It works quite well, and I keep getting better at it :) BUT.... I...
  8. Re: New Mandolin Player... Have a Loar 520, is a Kentucky 800 Bet

Much depends on your individual Loar 520. I have one, and I like it very much. It served me well for BG, although it wasn't exactly a cannon. After a few years of playing and -- literally -- selling...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Putting fret markers on "binding"?

Thanks for these ideas. They all sound quite reasonable, and the mandolin itself is not much.
  10. Thread: backstep?

by RickPick
    Replies
    Views

backstep?

Just learned Clinch Mountain Backstep after someone played it at a session last night. What does the "backstep" mean? Is that a reference to the odd half-measure in the B part? to a dance? something...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: double stop question

When you answer this question so clearly and sensibly, I wonder how I could ever have asked such a foolish question! OF COURSE, any of the other melody notes played under a G chord would be harmonic...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: B, Bb, F and all that

Wow! Thanks for all the helpful posts! It will take some time to digest these useful pieces of advice, but wanted to say THANKS for helping. Oddly, bigskygirl's reference to the "plant your index...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Why keys of B and B flat?

Whew! And I thought I was finally getting a handle on things cuz I'm now learning to play White Dove in F instead of D, where I'd always played it previously! It reminds me of just how poorly I play...
  14. Replies
    Views

Again, thanks for all these helpful responses. I suppose one of the characteristics of BG that distinguishes it from old time mountain/country music is its use of more sophisticated, jazz-like...
  15. Replies
    Views

I think Mike's Satan explanation serves best. I'd have suggested "perversity" myself..... But WHY -- in a mandolin instruction book -- would Tottle pick these keys to present tunes for mandolin...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: And more Leftwich

So is Andy Leftwich related to the Bloomington fiddler Brad Leftwich? Same level of talent!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: maple as top wood?

I wrote Saga to ask about the top on the RM-25, and it is indeed maple. I think the Specs listed described it as maple, but the Features listed it as spruce. Saga says the Features is incorrect and...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing Melody in Irish Sessions

Freezing up doesn't happen to me, but many other "psychological" things do when I play with a group (or for an audience). But there's only one ultimate solution, and that's for you to break through...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing Melody in Irish Sessions

I have to agree with sblock. You just need to keep at it. I started fiddle and mandolin in my mid-sixties, and every day, I kick myself for not starting at 5 years old. But I didn't, and I'm stuck...
  20. Replies
    Views

buying single E strings?

I've broken enough E strings and cannibalized my stash of once-complete sets of EJ74s that I'm putting a dozen E strings on my Christmas wish list! The individual envelope inside a set of EJ74s says...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky logo WITH IMAGE!

Sorry, Jamie. The image is all I have -- I don't have the mandolin. There must be a label, as the fella who has it gave me a serial number -- 97900029 -- which is part of why I figure it's about...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Bumper Snicker Ideas?

No one's rung my bell yet, but the day's still young. And do you guys get yer knickers in a twist over "piano" too, instead of "piano forte"? Just wondering.... :)
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Reading Eastman serial numbers

OK, an important refinement on reading the info passed on by Ed. Makes sense, since Eastman's 2007 through 2010 serials appear to be numbers based on instruments manufactured each year. By the time...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Reading Eastman serial numbers

Ask and you shall receive! (sometimes....) Thanks Ed -- Just what I wanted!