Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Could you help a young wannabe-mandolin player with a bowlbac

I see that mandolin style as 1920s-1930s German cottage industry, however, only god knows who made it, if that would matter at all in this case, which I do not think it should. The tuning machines...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Vinaccia vs Embergher vsCalace Video

Well played, Victor......and a nice "O sole mio" arrangement too. To my impaired sense of hearing the Vinaccia sounds the nicest, although the other two are not chopped liver either.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: C.F. Martin 80/20 strings on a bowlback

Thank you Viktor, your ear is probably better than mine because I have been unable to tell those two string types apart. Tavy uses the Martin set too, and all mandolins I got from him had those...
  4. Re: Anyone have information on this very unique bowlback?

Nice and very unique, perhaps one-off (custom) job for someone who liked abalone ornaments/parts as well as stained spruce tops. Unfortunately, the whole instrument looks over-sprayed to me, and not...
  5. Re: String-less Mandolin by Vinaccia, Vihuela & Larson Co.

I knew that was not an ordinary mandolin.:confused:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KExQu-4wi9A
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Very strange looking mandolin on eBay Italy

Bravo cumpa, stu strumentu si chiama "gusle", and it is used mainly for performance of Balkan blue grass music, such as in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YmEMKiGZhk
  7. Replies
    Views

Very strange looking mandolin on eBay Italy

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Mandolino/124106232348?hash=item1ce54ed21c:g:v-YAAOSw~15eVj8r

Over the years on eBay we all have seen a number of diverse string/plucked musical instruments being...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Gourd-backed mandolin

No. Armadillo mandriola with stiff Preston tuners is the answer.:mandosmiley:
  9. Sorry, Dr. Leone, your Mandolino is not my Cup of Vino

Here's a contemporary BB mandolin on eBay It. marketed by Musikalia (Palermo, Italy) as model "Vinaccia". ...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlbacks of Note

"Embergher" in this eBay UK listing's title triggered my mandolin scouting network. ...
  11. Replies
    Views

Lyon and Healy 1890s Advertisments

Those were the days of certain innocence, when the carnage of WWI was still years in the future, and bowl back mandolins were selling briskly in the States by the flourishing Lyon and Healy Co.
    (The...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Mandolin Restorer's Dilemma

I have a bit of a rustproofing spray left over after treating my truck undercarriage with it this fall. Very tempting to use it on one of the mandolins I am in the process of sprucing up for sale on...
  13. Replies
    Views

Old Mandolin Restorer's Dilemma

Often times those of us who dabble in old mandolin restoration have to know when to pull back with our instrument surface finishing efforts, otherwise the end result might appear overdone.....like...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: "Ceccherini" Bowl Back Mandolin on eBay

Martin, I see you are using good info sources skillfully.
    I have been tempted to get the Sparks book, but its price is kind of steep.

I have often wondered why the De Meglio mandolins became such...
  15. Re: Shocking revelation! Lyon & Healy Style C on eBay

Alas, accidents happen even to nice mandolins like that one.

Let us assume that I'd have to fork out $650 to win the auction and get the mandolin shipped to me.
    With Ontario sales tax that comes...
  16. Eilee Pakenham, her Compositions and her Ceccherini mandolin

See this link on Eileen Pakenham.

http://www.banjomandolinguitar.org/pakenham.htm
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: 1902 Martin Bowlback mandolin

That is really an exceptionally well preserved mandolin, and although not a higher grade model, Martin used to build them all very nicely with fine tonal properties.
    Should one decide to go for that...
  18. Re: Highly decorated German bowl back mandolin 1900

Cпасибо Виктор.:) Indeed, the feet of those metal bridges would dig into the top softwood quickly and in the most ruinous manner.