Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Tremolo

by dadsaster
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo

I would play with your pick angle relative to the strings. Too close to parallel and you get jammed up, too close to perpendicular and you get no tone.
  2. Re: A couple of position questions - trying to unlock the fretboa

As answers come in I'm more confused. My assumption was learning the 4 basic patterns only helps me learn a major scale. There are 4 (slightly) different patterns for minor and for any other scale...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Subscription Tutorial Sites

I really hate artistworks.

Mike Marshall is great. I'm sure all their instructors are great. The software is slow and clunky. If there is ever an issue it will break in their favor. I signed...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Left-Handed Players

When I grew up I tried playing guitar 10 different times. There was always a guitar lying around and it was always right-handed. Invariably, after a month or so of not making progress, I would...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Help with rhythm

Chopping on the 2 and 4 is the most important part of mandolin rhythm playing (in bluegrass). In a full jam circle, that's probably all there is room for. With less instruments there is more space....
  6. Replies
    Views

Understanding double-stops...

I've been working on understanding when and how to use double-stops and I'm a little confused. There seem to be two main kinds of double-stops I see employed.

1 - part of the chord - various...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: G(I) chop to 3 or 4-finger D(V) chop?

I use the 4-finger D shape when there is a quick GDG change as well. I just don't bother using 4-fingers (specifically the index). I still gain the economy of motion without sliding and with less...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Chords Guitar to Mandolin

There are 3 7th shapes that I use all based off the 3 major chord shapes (example key of D):

2|4|5|x -> 5|4|5|x
    7|7|9|x -> 5|7|9|x
    11|12|12|x -> 11|10|12|x
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Chords Guitar to Mandolin

If you want to sound more "guitarish" I would favor chord shapes with either the root or the 5th in the bass. For the key of A (as an example) ->

2|2|4x (root in bass) and 9|11|12x (5th in bass)...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: G(I) chop to 3 or 4-finger D(V) chop?

I favor chord shapes that omit the e-string. This is especially true for chopping, where the e-string makes the chop shape more grating (to my ears). The 4-finger D shape doesn't add anything imo,...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Tips for Learning - Beginners

The advice that hasn't been said is to make exercises out of trouble spots. If you struggle with a certain passage in a song or tune, figure out where the problem measure or two are and turn that...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Picking faster?

This is basically how I pick -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awFeDMNiKX4 except on mandolin. Strumming using a floating position with the wrist slightly cocked and touching down with the heel of...
  13. Re: Help! I can't hear the beat when I play a break

First, I don't think playing with rhythm is outside of anyone's ability to learn. It just takes time and practice. Even people with good rhythm will struggle to translate it to a new instrument.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Another pick grip question

Start with a loose fist that is as relaxed as possible. Insert pick between thumb and index finger with a knuckle supporting the pick. Chris Thile explains in well. ...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: slipping plectrum

Everyone goes through this. I don't think the solution is special equipment. The most common reason for this is gripping too tightly (I know - counterintuitive). Try to relax your grip (if you are...
  16. Re: Scarpology - Mapping the Mandolin Fretboard and Introduction

You can right-click and download all the audio tracks from the link the author posted above.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: I-IV-V Chords?

I find it helpful to study the I-IV-V chord patterns using three different three-string voicings (muting the E-string in all cases).

Using the key of A as an example:

The first I-IV-V on the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: (in)definitive chord guides

I came across Jethro Burns' book and it was an eye opener for me to see that there were only 3 shapes you needed to play 3 voicings over every major chord.

My advice would be to learn only 3 major...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Prodigious and Sophisticated Musicians

https://issuu.com/rabberson/docs/tc_excerpt_3 . Page 6-7 if you can make it out.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Prodigious and Sophisticated Musicians

I'd highly recommend reading "The Talent Code". It turns out that child prodigies are just kids who practiced a lot more than normal. Mozart practiced so much that he deformed his hands...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: 3 fingered chop chords?

Don Julin has a video about using two-finger chop chords. Go to the 2 minute mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUCHfqMXGCo
  22. Re: Working on tremelos. Good trick or am I cheating myself?

I can't play pointy picks because I can't tremolo well with them. I find a rounded corner and a stiff, thick pick really help. I know there are plenty of classical players who have no problem with...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando chord cheat sheet

I prefer to organize chords by logical groupings and then practice those groupings. Here is an example:168942168943
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Summer camping trips with the mandolin...

My Kentucky keeps sounding better and better as I improve. When it becomes the limiting factor in improving my tone, I'll upgrade:)
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Amusing story

A few years back my wife and I fell on hard times. We had just sunk a bunch of money into her Master's program and I lost a high-paying job overnight, with no chance of getting it back. I went from...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3