Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

Hey Lauri, you and Max are just killing it! That dragon is awesome.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Phoenix mandolins closing shop?

Thanks for all the kind words about Phoenix mandolins and the support for Jenny. She made the difficult phone call to me a while back and, while it is sad, it is a good move for her. She is an...
  3. Replies
    Views

A new Ludewig oval hole

I just finished this one up. Some amazing redwood that I got from Spruce a few years ago. I finished up an F5 (kind of) last year with it and now this oval hole. Haven't had an oval hole for some...
  4. Replies
    Views

Bluegrass in Indian music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIzRdv2v4Vw

:mandosmiley:
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Trademarking the F-5 Body Shape??

DWM, I agree completely. When you have people like Girouard, Ellis, Pava, Collings, etc., all of which are ran/owned by incredible people who treat not only customers, but competitors with respect,...
  6. Re: Who Likes Non-Traditional COLORS on their Mandos?

128911 128913

My contribution to the Rigel portion of this thread.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  7. Replies
    Views

Here's a paua abalone rosette on an octave top.
  8. Re: Who Likes Non-Traditional COLORS on their Mandos?

#3.
  9. Re: Who Likes Non-Traditional COLORS on their Mandos?

I feel like you could have an entire thread of just Rigel responses

10. Replies
    Views

If I'd only known there was going to be a 3rd 2 point mandocello, I'da bought one of those fancy giant robots to carve it like you younguns use, instead of scraping off evidence of the latest texas...
  11. Re: Who Likes Non-Traditional COLORS on their Mandos?

Lauri Girourd does really cool non traditional (and great traditional) finishes. My personal favorite it the Greenie Dale Ludwig built.

Jamie
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Hand-Splitting Maple For Mandolins...

OK, here are a few shots...

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee22/e_stamp/Maple%20Handsplits/P1290915_zps2d3ce87a.jpg
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Hand-Splitting Maple For Mandolins...

You'll wind up with a lot of billets--all quartered--that are relatively easy to dry and store, and can be processed later into mandolin backs...
    Normally, the sets are sawn green right out of the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Hand-Splitting Maple For Mandolins...

I get a lot of emails from folks who have a tree in their backyard that is coming down, wondering if it might be good for musical instruments...
    I think that this is the first time--in 35 years of...
  15. Replies
    Views

Fretboards are finished and they're out of this world.

16. Replies
    Views

Re: More praise for the Pava

One Cafe member who recently visited the UK & who had the chance to play the Ellis & Pavas at TAMCO UK, remarked to me in an e-mail that the 3 makes that he liked most & that sounded the best to...
  17. Replies
    Views

Girouard with new ivoroid tuning buttons

Here's my new Girouard after replacing the original tuning buttons (shown) with ones made of ivoroid.

I did file the insides of the holes but they were still tight. I confess to having used the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Pava and Girouard cross the pond.

I just found this thread and as the proud owner of the Girouard, thought it appropriate to close it!
    I had a fantastic time at Trevors, I started with open ears for whatever appealed to me,...
  19. TAMCO in Brighton, England, is a 'must visit'

On Tuesday I spent a delightful couple of hours at The Acoustic Music Co in Brighton, England. The trip was a long time coming, but it won't be so long before I am back. Owner and regular Cafe...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Reclaimed Spruce

I wasn't aware of this film...
    Here's the trailer...

I used to go to Alaska and cut up old bridge stringers, and ship them home...
    Lovely wood.
    But that was in the 80's, and those days are...
  21. Re: Cheapest Shipping Within USA-- UPS oir USPS

+1 for USPS Online. I sold a mandolin to a nice guy in Colorado in December. It was a gift for his daughter. After he had paid he asked if there was any way he could pay extra and get it sent...
  22. Replies
    Views

Interview with Marla Fibish

I was able to interview Marla Fibish last week. Here's a transcript of her comments about playing Irish music on the mandolin.
  23. Replies
    Views

I've always wanted to be a drummer.
    Here's a rimshot.

24. Replies
    Views

Bout done with progress on these, new home bound this week: 1980 harvest Soldier Mtn Idaho Engelmann spruce top A with Coos Bay Holly bridge, rural electric 4 string guitdola from that Varnum estate...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Douglas fir as a tonewood...

Thanks for the info folks, will be looking forward to the tone of the Girouard sinker mando too. I have a couple of 1 piece tops that were salvaged in the 80's from the bleachers (c.1950)of an...
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4