Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Consignment Advice

I think standard consignment fee is 20%, which sounds like a lot until you figure in things like shipping, insurance, ebay/reverb/paypal fees, etc. I recently sold a mandolin through The Music...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm amazed by the Tone Gard

The curve of the bowlback limits the amount of contact with the player's body, and correspondingly the amount of possible interference with the vobrating structure. The dampening effect on a...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Snark tuner

PM me with your address as I have a few broken ones and I will pop one in an envelope and send it to you. I have several broken ones. I quit buying them as I have a problem with them breaking around...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning to play with one less finger

Gene Stroupe was a 2 finger mandolin player from the Mt Jackson, VA area. Only had index and middle finger on left hand. Excellent player. I think of Gene anytime my hands hurt!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning to play with one less finger

The point is that he's playing with one finger fewer than before. The injured finger is not of lesser value to the poor OP I'm sure, it is just (temporarily, we hope) less healthy than it was.
  6. Re: Sound: opinions sought on technique vs instrument, i.e. anti-

Opinion sought - opinion provided:

A brand new and better instrument does not solve any technique problems. It gives you a new and better instrument on which to have those problems.

With proper...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Love Bluegrass but....

Speed is partly illusion. Yea the other part is playing fast, but playing fast ain't the whole thing.

So much brilliancy is good techniques. Techniques that can make everyone "play faster" without...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Losing My Religion

Very nice rendition. Here it is in easy-to-see form. :mandosmiley:

hyrei7VE0KQ

I assume that's you in the corner? ;)
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD....Eastman MD305

I love the look and color.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Best type of string for my mandolin

I use D'Addarios - they go to eleven.
  11. Re: Beginner! Eastman 305 vs Kentucky KM-150 vs...??

Thanks for all the advice! I ended up finding a screaming deal on a Kentucky KM-150 at a store a few hours away. Lo and behold, an acquaintance in town I had just met a week prior was in that town...
  12. Replies
    Views

New to me mandolin

Well, I took a chance and bought the used Loar LM-400 in the classifieds from Elderly and It arrived today. It was made in May of 2012. After a few hours to settle, opened it and I am very pleased...
  13. A picking exercise I made up for myself...

Friends, I have so much to learn on the mandolin, but of course that's half the fun right there. So when I'm hanging out - or watching a documentary on Dolly Parton as I was then - I like to strap on...
  14. Replies
    Views

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas to all the truly nice people on MC and especially to Scott who makes this possible.:mandosmiley:
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: How much of a concern should this be?

I'm a bit more paranoic about such cracks in finish, especially around neck joint (perhaps because I had the pleasure to restore few mandolins with similar symptoms as result of poor neck joint...
  16. Replies
    Views

I wouldn't worry about it unless you see the actual joints opening up. That kind of finish checking is also common. When finishes like lacquer start to age they get more brittle and susceptible to...
  17. Replies
    Views

Common in old instruments (and not uncommon in newer ones), usually results from flatsawn ebony in the fingerboard, not a reason for alarm, just something to be fixed when it comes time for a re-fret.
  18. Thread: Home made stand

by RandyC
    Replies
    Views

Home made stand

I just finished up building this stand from branches I found in the woods. I thought it came out pretty good considering I don't have proper tools and don't know what I am doing.

19. Replies
    Views

Re: TuneFox Cyber Monday discount

Hey there, we had a glitch and the code didn't work for everyone. If you still want 15% off, use this code - MANDOCAFE15 . It expires Friday of this week. Let me know if you have questions!
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Rehab Hospital

Hey Gary, I have a spare LongHollow strap you are welcome to. The part that contacts your shoulder is wide, soft and comfortable. It's like this one but a lighter color. I can deliver it Sunday if...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The cafe....made my day!

I too initially won one of the hats - but then somebody on the Cafe' staff heard my mandolin playing and quickly decided to rescind my winnings . . . .

Easy come, easy go.

Congrats Scott!
  22. Replies
    Views

I started a website for backing tracks

I've just started a website for free backing tracks with someone I met on another forum. We both don't have anyone to play with, so we decided to make backing tracks for others who might be in a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: What do you see?

I wouldn't worry about the illusion that the bridge is sinking into the top. If you are worried, look for other pics of mandos at the same angle and notice that the string reflections always seem to...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Don't let those mandolins get thirsty

Just a week or two ago I did a podcast on this very subject. Enjoy!

http://www.bradleylaird.com/podcast/episode-138-show-notes.html
  25. Re: A model: Adding a strap button to the heel.

I prefer looping it under the neck, as in the photo below.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4