Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Are All Lloyd Loars Dropping In Price?

Maybe I just wouldn't come out!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Any Experience With Walnut F5 Mandolins?

Maybe Hank will chime in--he recently built a fantastic F-5 with walnut back and sides.
  3. Replies
    Views

My first one was built with walnut back and red cedar top. It is a little more quiet and definitely less bark than the maple backed instruments I have built with similar tops. It was also my first...
  4. Replies
    Views

The back is absolutely gorgeous!! I have no experience with walnut as a back/sides wood, but you've gotten some good above.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  5. Re: What Do You Think About This Unique 1 Pc. Back?

I still have splinters in my scalp from the last one....
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: What Do You Think About This Unique 1 Pc. Back?

Well, there's nothing quite like a good spruce fight . . . :popcorn:
  7. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

I have a Kentucky KM-805 (F-style), as well as a Collings MT and a Pava player. I got the Collings MT used for $2200, there is no comparison between the Kentucky and the Pava and Collings. Don't get...
  8. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

Hi everyone (and OP!)

If you like the Collings sound then buying one is maybe the best way to get it. The reports of Collings consistency have been accurate in my experience - every one of them...
  9. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

On a new import, I would expect to lose at least 30% in depreciation off of replacement value ($1140) pretty much immediately ($800). And realize that if you save money on the front end by purchasing...
  10. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

The other option is to get a basic, but solid wood Eastman or Kentucky, maybe even a flatiron pancake, ideally used, as a starting point. Many of the plain looking basic level instruments have good...
  11. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

Totally agree with this. Only thing I would add is to also look at the Kentucky KM-850. Played one a couple of months ago and it had a great sound for bluegrass. And the price is very much at the...
  12. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

If I was looking for an instrument to hold its value, the last thing I’d do is buy new from someone with no reputation for building mandolins. Sure, you might get lucky and be working with the next...
  13. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

Buy the mandolin that suits your ear to begin with and enjoy playing and don't worry about the potential appreciation ! Buy a used A built by relatively well known makers which you can find on this...
  14. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

The KM-850, KM-1050 & KM-1500 are now made in the same factory.
    The 850 is a good mandolin, as long as you're getting one that was recently manufactured. The old KM-850 from the previous factory...
  15. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

As I'm sure you know from guitar buying & selling, a good deal on the used market will be what you need and then hopefully you'll get most of your money back on it when you sell, minus fees and...
  16. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

I have built three now after building several guitars and a lot of other things. I do not feel comfortable putting them up for sale yet. My number three sounds and plays decent with some cosmetic...
  17. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

I tend to take the action that will leave me with the least regrets.

If the sound you hear in your head is the Collings sound, get one, because everything else may leave you wondering. Watch...
  18. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

Maybe, maybe not. There are skills needed to build a carved-top mandolin that are different from those needed to build a flat-top guitar. I'd be a bit cautious about putting four figures cash into...
  19. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

A mandolin build is not the same as a dreadnaught guitar. It is closer to an archtop or violin but different from those also. There was a fairly prominent guitar builder who told a friend of mine...
  20. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

It was kind of a buyer's market starting this year and nobody can predict long term trends but i see people on reverb saying they have to sell guitars etc fast, they just lost their jobs...

if you...
  21. Re: Looking for Mandolin Recommendations that hold their value

Mandolins do not 'hold their value', no matter what you buy. The best you can hope for, IMHO, is to buy used at a good price and not lose too much if you sell it. If you can buy at 60% of new, you...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F-9 repair project

Almost done with my F-9 project. I ended up resetting the neck twice. The first time, I didn’t pay enough attention and did not have the neck aligned to the tailpiece. I steamed it out without much...