Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Gibson A mandolin in China, early 1930s. Guan Zilan

Assembling a piece of mandolin history from China. Guan Zilan (關紫蘭), daughter of a Shanghai cloth manufacturer in the early 1900s, became a professional painter and studied in Japan. Later she taught...
  2. Thread: Opus

by murrayk
    Replies
    Views

Opus

Still on my workbench and taking shape, Opus, is an acoustic + electric standard scale mandolin.
    I mainly make guitars but I am rather keen on mandolins.
  3. Replies
    Views

Late medieval lute

https://i.imgur.com/URVWt87.jpg

Just finished this late medieval lute, based on 'The Coronation of the Virgin' by Paolo and Giovanni Veneziano (Italy, 1358) and other sources. Scale length of...
  4. Thread: Cantigas lute

by Dusepo
    Replies
    Views

Cantigas lute

Cantigas-style lute just finished. This build is based on 2 sources from the Cantigas de Santa Maria from medieval Spain (1221–1284).

https://i.imgur.com/nyy1eAA.jpg
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Banjo Rebuild

Last WIP photos

6. Don Kawalek Mandolin Building Workshop, March 25-30, 2018

If you've followed these and other discussion forums related to mando building workshops over the years you know that Don Kawalek's classes have gotten rave reviews. If you're interested but have...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: My mandocello/OM conversion project

Okay, I've glued all the cracks and contoured and reglued the brace. Now I have to wait for my neck and neck block to arrive. I don't know yet if I can use the existing neck block or if I'll have to...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

The hot green chile/mandolin gene splicing program is proceeding quicker than the chile/octave, but we're working on it. Wishing there were true maples here and not just the box elders.