Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: more Mark O'Connor Mandocello

I attended a Mandolin World News event at San Francisco's Great American Music Hall around 1980, which featured Tiny Moore, Jethro Burns, the DGQ and maybe a coupla other acts (foggy recollection)....
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Paul Hathway Octave Mandolin

I've owned a Hathway Mandocello for some years now, which I bought in person from Paul at his home workshop. I recall trying a couple of his OMs while I was there, and was hugely impressed. His...
  3. Replies
    Views

A new mandocello

Harkening back to the days when giant mandolins roamed the earth, a new mandocello, built to try out some ideas before the start of the mandolin quartet project. This one has a carved European spruce...
  4. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile on BBC Radio 3 February 26

For those who can receive it (and on the BBC Sounds app thereafter) on Saturday February 26th, 13.00 - 15.00, two hours of Chris Thile on the Inside Music show:

"Mandolinist Chris Thile travels...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Punch Brothers "Hell on Church Street"

The more I listen the more I like it, which is usually the case with new PB albums. I just takes me a couple of listens to process all the nuances and layers. Man, they’re so good…
  6. Replies
    Views

Sierra playing a Goldtone mandocello

Well you may have seen me attempt to play on a Goldtone mandocello, here is the real deal.

nR_VjBJOP4A
  7. Replies
    Views

Girouard quartet - phase 1

For all you followers of Girouard mandolins and their excellent instruments. I am sharing this photo. I have a quartet on order not only of the same style but the exact same woods. By "exact" I...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello compositions

Thank you Claudia. When our orchestra played at Bruchsal Zupffest a few years ago, I saw almost no mandocellos--all guitars in the orchestras. What instrument do you have? My best is a 1912 Gibson...
  9. Replies
    Views

Mandocello compositions

These are pieces I wrote for CMSA Open Mic, 2020 and 2021, a mandocello solo and two quartets. They are a small part of the wealth of mandocello music I gathered from much more experienced composers...
  10. Replies
    Views

Lyon & Healy Mandobass

I was just cruising around Tom Crandall's inventory page and found this one-of-a-kind beauty from around 1918. I don't recall seeing any mention in my old catalogs (but will take another look) and I...
  11. Replies
    Views

Tony Rice and Norman Blake live

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ib6ev6vlwOA
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tony Rice

Facebook from Ricky Skaggs.
  13. Replies
    Views

RIP Tony Rice

Seeing reports that Tony Rice passed away yesterday.

June 8, 1951 - December 25, 2020

Thus far the only link I can find is on Facebook.

More:

Wikipedia page
  14. Replies
    Views

Tennessee Waltz

Hey all!

I nearly broke out in tears watching this video of Sierra last night, everything about it just screams perfection to me..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFoiRc9wjRQ

Every video...
  15. Replies
    Views

Astor Piazzola on Mandolin

A year ago, the orchestra I play with in Athens Greece (MandolinARTE) performed its last concert before the pandemic (ahhhh good times).

Anyway, we played a beautiful piece of music from the...
  16. Replies
    Views

Mark O'Connor Little Maggie on Mandocello

OK then
    SVqh5oYuzS0&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0qy2Vpo_kLqJlf4FAY3x-oxCtCj-Jtb6bbck9L662fpyXh1opeH26m8w4
  17. Sierra Hull's Turkey In The Straw Theme and others...

transcribed from her video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_F6dep-uCE
    and pdf for this short example:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r8X0tv9hXwN9LE2OG3IHnSggdAV13eCG/view?usp=sharing

I...
  18. Replies
    Views

An instrumental tune for octave mandolin

Hi folks!

Here's a little composition for octave mandolin that I just recorded with my Weber Bitterroot F4.

Hope you like it!

Isaac
  19. Capricho de Santa Cecilia -- Hamilton de Holanda

Another installment of my solo project is this Caprice for Santa Cecilia. As much as I like the sound of the installed pickup that I had been blending with the microphone, I decided the pure acoustic...
  20. Covid Collab with Ella Fitzgerald: Lady Be Good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_c-70LtkfI
  21. Replies
    Views

GIROUARD F4 Delivered Today !!!

The most beautiful mandolin I have ever seen was delivered today ! Port Orford top and beautiful flame maple back ! Workmanship second to none ! Sound really projects crystal clear notes across the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Read Me First

The old Forum software has been reinstalled. But I wasn't done meddling just yet. I saw some things in the other version and decided they had their place here so changes have occurred in the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Bellenghi and Weidt mandocello methods

Attached are 2 pdf files (Part 1 and Part 2) of the Bellenghi (Giuseppe Bellenghi, Bologna 1847-Florence Oct 17, 1902) mandocello method from 1896. I scanned these at the Library of Congress using...
  24. Replies
    Views

an etude to share

original for liuto, but also versions for octave and mandocello.
    the liuto and OM versions are mostly 1st position.
    the MC version will require shifting from 1st and 4th

the second half (measure...
  25. Bickford MandoCello Method in BASS CLEF!

Finally, here for your enjoyment, is the Bass Clef Version of the Bickford Mandocello Method. I'd still say it's in draft phase, but hey, it's here and hopefully there aren't too many errors or...
Page 1 of 2 1 2