Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

Similar response. And, freak coincidence, I also have been playing open back banjo for a couple of months with some help from Adam Hurt. I never got banjo before but clawhammer is very interesting.
  2. Re: G. Tartini: Adagio Cantabile, Baroque mandolin quartet

Downloaded. Thanks, Martin!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: My latest baroque mandolin

Very cool. Will check out your site.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Pig Jicking?

DUDDUD ... that’s the ticket for jigs. Ditto for gigues. DUDDUDDUD for slip jigs. Play the accent on the downbeat — ONE 2 3 FOUR 5 6 etc. This is dance music. Work in the triplets and ornaments...
  5. Re: Aaron Weinstein's New Apitius yorkville mandolin

Super cool. Thank you so much! I’m assuming that’s a floating pickup? Off to read more about this interesting mandolin ...
  6. Looking for some insight into microtonal mandolin

Flynn Cohen has a really interesting Mandolin Monday post today no doubt most have seen. Can somebody knowledgeable please explain what's going on with "microtonal" frets? It's a little like...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stops Question

Caleb Klauder did an AMAZING presentation on double-stop playing yesterday in a webcast. In a nutshell, if you slide the G chop chord up so that you're in the fifth position (I think) with your index...
  8. Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

I've been thinking a lot lately about getting a banjo. (Feel free to tease me. I have it coming.) I'm thinking an open-back. I know I'm not interested in the whole Earl Scruggs to Bela end of the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin 'dogs'?

Ha ha! Yes. I bought a name mandolin from one of the great dealers present here and it just didn’t have any undertones or character. Very strange. I bought it via their website. It had been in their...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman and Nancy vid

The only thing cooler than this tune and Nancy's playing (and Norman's) is that a gem like this from 2011 would pop back to the surface of the comments feed this morning.
  11. Replies
    Views

Experimenting with Logic Pro

I decided to finally delve into some of the extended features in Logic Pro that as a mandolin player I've never before felt compelled to explore. It's some pretty amazing software.

7-gIcuZUfGQ
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: A medieval citole

Lovely! How is it tuned?
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Your first great mandolin

My first mandolin was a ... not a Gretch but some other Chinese-made American-branded plywood contraption I bought for $200 after drinking two martinis with my friend Tom. I have to say I thought it...
  14. Definition of a good mandolin player’s spouse

The other day I told my wife I’d decided to change the pick I use, from a Blue Chip CT to a Dawg. She not only knew what I was talking about, but wanted to know my reason for changing and was...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Collings MF5 - Any years to avoid?

Collings instruments to tend to be particularly consistent and good, in my opinion. I did have an MF that was pretty thin sounding. It was whatever the most bare-bones entry-level F is. I bought it...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Eva Scow and Mike Marshall

I have not heard of Eva before now but thanks for pointing her out. She's a monster! I could totally see her playing with Mike Marshall.

P-Cu_C2aghs
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Not all is bad about Covid :-)

I had the virus. It wasn’t a big deal, and I’m 65, have asthma and am rehabbing a heart condition. If your health isn’t compromised with other serious issues your chances are very good you’ll be fine...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Heiden Heritage

Huba huba. Love the dark stain.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: An original tune on a Sobell mandola

Nice. Like the exotic intervals. That's a good sounding Sobell mandola.