Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: How hard/wise is it to replace a fingerboard?

Keep the present mando as-is and buy another with binding. Good excuse to get another. LOL

In any case, if the current mando is a really good one and you get deep into the music, it'll wind up...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Old Woodworking Machines

I saw a big bandsaw like that running once, and I was impressed with how slowly the wheel was turning. You don't need many rpms to move a lot of linear feet of blade when the wheels are that large.
  3. Re: Detailed plans for a dovetail neck joint jig

I don't see why it needs to be any more complicated than the setup James Condino describes. Simple is elegant.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge Pin Reamer

Back in the day when I was building I used a No. 3 tapered pin reamer with spiral flutes. Seemed to work just fine for "standard" bridge pins.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Don't despise me: Banjo question

The tuners with the knurled knobs are known a "Keith tuners" or "D tuners" and they are normally placed on the 2nd and 3rd strings of a 5 string banjo. They are used to quickly change the tuning of a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Incredible woodworking machine

I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of this machine actually is in a practical sense, but it's amazing to watch it at work. Good music too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plByNDFwlOk
  7. Replies
    Views

Wooden pants

I snagged this photo somewhere to post here because I had a feeling someone might appreciate it. The wooden pants are funny, but the wood in the fence is killer. The photo was taken in Eureka, CA...
  8. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

Since no one has mentioned it yet, maybe blasting it to remove the chrome and then having it powder coated would be nice.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Long distance sales

No one mentioned it, but US Postal Service money orders are safe as far as I can tell, and you can either cash them at the post office or deposit them directly at your bank. Maybe someone else has,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Full-size printable A style template

If you have an F-5 plan you like, just redraw it without the points and scroll. I did that and it worked fine. That's for an A-5 of course.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: First build...lacquer questions.

Jacob-

One thing I forgot to mention is that lacquer is sensitive to humidity and you shouldn't spray during times of high humidity. Then I noticed that you are Taos and realized that humidity...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: First build...lacquer questions.

Right- the sanding sealer goes down over the stain. Several coats and then sand it smooth with 220 or 320 non-loading sandpaper. Ten minutes or so between coats, about 3 coats max, and then sand...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Humidity

Now- with all of this having been said, the disclaimer:

30 years ago, roughly, I wanted to have a go at being a guitar maker. So I set up shop in a humid old basement, and taught myself to do it....
  14. Replies
    Views

All of the commercially built instruments you have ever owned were probably built at around 40% humidity, and the reason that they can survive being used in high humidity environments (think about a...
  15. Replies
    Views

An interesting thing happened to me once- I was building a guitar in my "humidity-uncontrolled" basement, and had just glued the transverse braces onto a mahogany back. These are the braces that pull...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Bargin prices for chisels and gouges?

Since my attempt to discuss philosophy earlier in this thread fell completely flat, I decided to post a photo of these Marples chisels that I've owned almost forever- I bought them new maybe 35 years...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Bargin prices for chisels and gouges?

"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" is a book I remember as being hard to read, and I don't think I took anything away from it except one very important idea that will be with me until the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Sanding tight corners

If you want to see something that will really expand your mind, go to a Sally Beauty supply and check out the flexible fingernail files that come in every grit you can think of, and are cheap.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Sanding tight corners

Depending on the situation, a sharp single edge razor blade used as a scraper can be of help.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: the demise of the pick guard

Most people are pretty reluctant to question the validity of their dearly held assumptions, or guiding fictions (as Albert Adler would have called it). In fact I don't think it ever occurs to people...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: the demise of the pick guard

Human nature is so very interesting. What fascinates me about this discussion is the unfounded assumption we almost automatically make that a large pick guard (or "finger rest") just has to have a...
  22. Re: Does the tailpiece make a difference in the tone of the mando

The tailpiece conjecture is a textbook example of "confirmation bias" at work. A friend of mine who was in the music store biz for a long time referred to it as "eyewash".
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: What's that smell?

No, no! Everyone has it wrong. It's mojo sauce. I mean obviously, people.

:disbelief:
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Figured Woods vs. Plain Woods

Everyone so far has spoken of cosmetic values, but another practical point is that highly figured wood can be very difficult to carve and bend. Something to think about for a first, or maybe even...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin volume

I'm going to recommend something I did with pretty good success. My first mando was like yours; I intuited that the back was too heavy, and I didn't like the sound. So, with not much to lose, I went...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4