Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Update on "The Irish Mandolin" - and other stories

I just stumbled across this thread and your site for the first time today. Thanks for the terrific resource!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Houston park meetup

I'd be interested. I'm mostly a fiddle tunes guy, and more likely to play guitar than mandolin.

I don't know many swing tunes either Mark. Wish I did! Working on Little Rock Getaway on guitar...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Dylan on bluegrass in the New York Times

That's a great statement of why I never feel right calling what I play "bluegrass" even if that's the closest I can come to describing it to people who aren't steeped in it. Fiddle tunes, acoustic...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: One Mandolin - forever...

This question is irrelevant to me unless y'all want to send me your extra mandolins. I'll even pay shipping. Maybe.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do people only sell the great ones?

I sold a Collings MT I'd love to have back to fund a custom that didn't sound nearly as good to my ears. I don't know that it was the best I've ever played, but it was mighty good.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Quite ill with a trach and a feeding tube

Yikes man. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
  7. Thread: Who?

by Joe Dodson
    Replies
    Views

Re: Who?

I wasn't there, but I heard that Frank Wakefield paid a couple of very backhanded compliments to a much loved mandolin player from around these parts, telling him: "I like what you're trying to do...
  8. Thread: Who?

by Joe Dodson
    Replies
    Views

Re: Who?

I have sort of a Norman Blake, anachronistic vibe going on. Except I'm hella slow. So, imagine Norman Blake on horse tranquilizers. Maybe something like that.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Pre NAMM discussion

All of my mandolins are hit or miss on whether they have a C in them on any given day.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Pre NAMM discussion

i'm going to be first in line to buy Gibson's new Ricky Skaggs signature edition Master Model bowlback.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Love Bluegrass but....

Billy Strings and Bryan Sutton were both into metal too.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Love Bluegrass but....

Years ago Norman Blake taught at Steve Kaufman's Kamp and told his classes (klasses?) that he was there to give them permission to play slow.

If it's good enough for Norman, it's good enough for...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Is there a mandolin equivelent out there?

Those are some straight up Stanley Kubrick noises right there.
  14. Re: Of your favorite instruments that qualify for this site...

Standing ovaton. That was worthy of posting on Mandolin Monday.

I need to play my octave more.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Jams near Beaumont TX

Beaumont is really more like Louisiana culturally than it is Texas. I'm not surprised to hear that the picking scene is pretty thin. There are a number of regular jams in Houston, about 90 minutes...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Just wanted to say thanks...

Nobody can afford that Ellis. We are Icarus, and it is the sun. You want that MFO gloss top at Down Home Guitars.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Natural talent vs practice

Wow. I should blow up my damned television. I waste so much time.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Natural talent vs practice

I don't know if I have any natural talent. What I do have is an abiding love for the sounds of acoustic guitars and mandolins that's been with me for as long as I can remember. That's allowed me to...
  19. Re: Mandolin players who bought or have played a Waterloo Mandoli

I've been looking to upgrade my own mandolin situation, and even the regular Collings tailpiece leaves something to be desired.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Visit to Carter Vintage Guitars

I traded a couple of emails with one of the well-known shops about them, and the owner spoke really highly about them. Then I mentioned I own a Pono octave, and he said that to his ears the Pono (at...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Torch and Wire in todays classified.

That's a work of art.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Waterloo Mandolin Released

First and only so far.
  23. Re: Live From Here - Is There a Better Music Show ANYWHERE?

NERD FIGHT!

I kid, y'all. I went to high school in the 80's in a place where I had zero access to accoutic music, Marty Stuart's hair would have seemed sort of tame, and I was subjected to Van...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: "Dark" Fiddle Tunes?

Has anyone mentioned Elzic's Farewell yet?

https://youtu.be/3oa5CEffw4Y
  25. Thread: New Strap!

by Joe Dodson
    Replies
    Views

Re: New Strap!

I pulled out a bunch of paracord this morning to try this out. I've got an old Gibson A1 with a heel button that currently has an exceptionally ugly and uncomfortable strap on it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2