Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bridge saddle repair advice needed

If I were you, I'd run the screw up into the bridge away from the bottom and put a small drop of CA glue in the hole and onto the end of the screw so it doesn't happen again. I would not be concerned...
  2. Re: Best way to learn to play Smooth and Clean (not sloppy)?

One thing that helped with clean sound almost more than any other for me was to make sure each note rings into the next note following it. Do not lift your finger till the next note is played. My...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: PICKS am i missing something

The problem with advice is not knowing enough about who is giving it. Some of the advisors on this issue will be very accomplished players for whom even the minor differences between two brands of...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: 12 frets to body vs 14

Not an easy question because generally speaking the guitar bodies will be different too.
    If you move the neck up or down then the bridge will be in a different place as well, unless the scale...
  5. Re: Need Clarification: Jethro Burn's three string chord style

Have you seen this in tenor banjo books? I thought naming the inversion after the bass tone was universal and Jethro was idiosyncratic.
  6. Re: Centering mandolin on body vs centering its weight

I play a F mando with one of the "silly curly strap hangers". It hangs pretty neutrally. Have you considered a strap button on the heel of the neck? My guitar felt way better when I switched from...
  7. Thread: Pinky question

by sblock
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pinky question

You seem to be under the incorrect impression that by altering the wrist/hand position -- or even the elbow position -- the issue of a "flying pinky" somehow will go magically away. It likely won't....
  8. Thread: Pinky question

by sblock
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pinky question

OK, everybody -- it's time for an anatomy lesson, and a reality check. :)

Try this: First, make a fist with your fretting hand, and then try to straighten each finger separately, one a at time....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Kentucky KM180B

Conflicted reports are the norm with this sort of thing. :)

It would not say where it was made on the label. It would have been a sticker on the headstock (that is almost always removed at some...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: F4 vs F5; or, how do you like your oval holes?

I like my A4, F4 minus several thousand dollars.
  11. Re: Why do mandolin players hunch over their instruments?

I, too, appreciate the observation. and also find the 2nd half of the post a bit off-putting...

I hunch - like them pickers on the homepage -, when seated and (to a lesser degree) when standing. I...
  12. Re: Slides, hammer ons, and pull-offs - when to use them?

For anyone that wants to go through the work of searching them out, I've written lengthy posts concerning hammer-ons, pick patterns, slurring etc. on the Cafe forum dating back fifteen years.
  13. Thread: Retirement

by 5bassman
    Replies
    Views

Re: Retirement

I retired in 2012 at 49 years old but with 31 years as a full time firefighter. It's the type job where you get out while your still healthy. Since I hired on at 18 years old I got my full...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Stradivarius, del Gesu and Loar

Exactly what the key innovations of the master Cremonese luthiers were is up to debate a bit. Arching is clearly part of it. While much is written on mathematics, other industries used nicely...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Breedlove Rogue on eBay

Looks like a good deal to me
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing cleanly above the 12th fret

I used to have a Sopranino sax year ago but that is tiny!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Octaves: Guitar Bodied or Not?

From a personal point of view, I want my mandolins to look like mandolins, not guitars, I think Andy Irvine started this off with having a guitar shaped bouzouki made.

Dave H
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick chioces.

Playing around with picks is one of the perks of the mandolin. Size, composition and weight are all fun to try out. If something doesn't work, just pick up something else. There is no "right" pick...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Overtone Analysis/comparison

I sure miss Dr Cohen during these topics to set the facts straight.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What is this notation exactly?

I'd go by what he plays rather than an interpretation of how it is notated.
    Make an mp3 of the track and click to open it in a Windows Media Player window. Right click, go to 'enhancements' and then...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: How long to acclimate?

Let the shipping box come to room temperature, then remove the instrument case and let it come to room temperature. Then you can take the mandolin out of the case.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatwound or regular strings for restring?

I have Thomastic flat wound mediums on my L&H. It gives me a very classical sound. The instrument, with those strings, almost sounds like a bowl back.

They also wear like iron.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Breedlove mandolins

I found the 2014 Premier OF I played a terrific mandolin for tone, chop, volume, sustain etc. Easily the best mandolin I've heard for under One thousand dollars.
  24. Thread: Pick Depth

by catmandu2
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Depth

You're going to want to strive to be able to use the pick in as many various and creative ways as you can (as the pick is an essential means of activating and speaking through your instrument, and...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the function of the body?

Bill, Dave has everyright to post. Further, I don't see that he's on a high horse, rather, I think he's frustrated that people aren't understanding the things he's said (repeatedly). Frankly, the...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3