Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Frank Ford

Frank did a wonderful service to the lutherie world thru frets.com, as well as his teaching and willingness to share his knowledge. Whether you were looking for information on guitar neck sets,...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Frank Ford

One of the great gentlemen of the stringed instrument world. Rest in peace, Frank.
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Hester tribute loar a5 pair

I’m bumping my all-time favorite thread in honor of Gail’s special day. Happy Birthday, Gail, and thanks!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: A request of builders

For any instrument that comes in, if it is a living builder who did substandard work, I ALWAYS refuse to work on it and tell the owner to send it back to the builder. By correcting it, all you do is...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Cliff Sargent mandolin

I had the great pleasure of meeting Cliff when he moved from CA to Missoula MT where I was living, somewhere about 1980 - 81. Funny, I had gotten a phone call from him, I didn't know who he was but...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Richlite bridges

As a mandolin builder, I see no reason to ever not use a 2" wide wooden fingerboard. They are cheap and readily available, regardless of your wood choice. When mandolin fingerboards are no longer...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Luthier Paul Hostetter has passed away

Rest in peace. Always sad to see a long-time member move on. On behalf of the Mandolin Cafe, condolences to his family and friends.
  8. Re: Anyone interested in a system to measure depth and chart it?

http://www.magicprobe.net/
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: F style with broken scroll -- couple of ?s

Here's how I usually do it:

REINFORCING A BROKEN HEADSTOCK SCROLL
  10. Replies
    Views

Did a good deed today

A good friend has been helping a family that has recently relocated to Minnesota. There are two sons that like music, but have never played. Someone had donated an acoustic guitar for one of them....
  11. Replies
    Views

Craigslist cocobolo....

Once in a while it pays off for all of that looking; I'll have a few new instruments coming out of this in a while. Out behind the barn past the kudzu from my granddady's uncle's third cousin twice...
  12. Replies
    Views

Happy Birthday Jerry

Today is Jerry Garcia's 75th birthday. A great musical presence in my life
    and a wonderful human being whose memory I'll always cherish.

Cheers Spud-Boy!! — Dawg
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Flaked top of 1917 Gibson A

Time to get it in the hands of a competent French polisher who can do a nice job on the top. All this discussion about maintaining originality gets a bit tedious, particularly when you have a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: My new Hester A5z mandolin

Unless he bought the ad word. :cool:
  15. Replies
    Views

David Grisman and Tony Rice

A recent video popped up on YouTube of these two American Treasures in concert together from 1997. It's a full show, just over 2 hours of greatness. Wanted to share so you don't miss it.

16. Replies
    Views

New Hamlett A

Just picked up my new Hamlett A custom built with my specs
    Red Spruce,satin finish,block inlays,fleur de lis Evo frets ,black buttons
    I really like it
    It's lightweight already sounds great has a...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: To Do or Not To Do, that is the question

Good chance it will not sound like it does now once you start reshaping, reducing wood mass, adding new parts, etc. I know musicians that have done this and seriously regretted it. Problem is, you...
  18. Replies
    Views

41 Years Ago Today

Unfathomable, incredible and wonderful!
  19. Re: Who Likes Non-Traditional COLORS on their Mandos?

Made a few, mostly blue, except for fish, melons, and custom whiskey.....
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 A Jr. Snakehead Pickguard Identification

This looks like the original pickguard. Even tho you don't like to use them, it would be nice to keep it with the mandolin it belongs to. A future owner would appreciate having it I am sure. I know I...
  21. Replies
    Views

Mother of Pearl buttons for Gotoh tuners

NFI. The price is a little cheaper than I've seen.These are for the newer models with the elongated hole as opposed to the older tuners with the square hole.
  22. Re: Adjustable VS Non-Adjustable truss rods...

Early on in my building career I was an advocate for cf non adjustable rods, but time and wisdom has caught up with me.

Every repair person who works on your instruments in the future will thank...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Building Oval Holes

I am reminded of the scene from The Quiet Man in which Michaleen Flynn says, "Madame, when I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water." There are times when two wonderful...
  24. Replies
    Views

Vintage Back and side wood

Just for interest sake, I thought I would post some photos of a 1925 F5. As a general rule, Loar signed F5's and those immediately following have elegantly understated flame or figure in the wood. It...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: crack in mandolin top suggestion on fix

A couple of caveats:]
    1) A professional luthier would probably use hide glue on this repair as it wicks in very well and is easy to "unglue" should that be needed. Stronger, too. Unfortunately, for...
Page 1 of 2 1 2