Search:

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Demonstrating a mandolin

Interesting discussion.

When I’ve sold instruments, I’ve often played strings up each fret, as well as playing some licks and snippets of tunes. Thanks to GMorgan’s post, should I sell one in the...
  2. Replies
    Views

The young lady who did the latest Klos CF review did a nice job with her demonstration, and I agree that her type of approach tells you more about an instrument than someone tearing it up who I’ll...
  3. Replies
    Views

Here's what I do when I make a video to sell a mando: open strings, open chords, a slow doublestop harmonized scale on each pair of strings, a tune that uses all the strings--not played too fast, a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Thanks Guys! Here's an old English folk tune. Thanks for the Listen!~o):mandosmiley::mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA2Oa9ao1u0
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Place to Shop For Mandolins

Eastman 604 might be a good choice, but I will agree with rcc56 that you won’t go wrong with an Eastman 505. A lot of people will pitch the Eastman 300 line but the 500 and up series are definitely...
  6. Re: anyone handled/played one of these Northfield Octave mandolin

Why wait?

https://www.elderly.com/products/northfield-workshop-mahogany-archtop-octave-mandolin-with-case
  7. Replies
    Views

I don't think I've heard a minor-key Hank tune before. It reminds a bit of Dylan's Man in the Long Black Coat.

D.H.
  8. Replies
    Views

Here's a favorite Hank Williams' tune of mine. Thanks for the Listen! :mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnusS5TkIVE
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Any suggestion for a gear back pack?

Hit your local Army Surplus store if you have one. It will be durable, large, and not very expensive.
  10. A Couple of Tunes Arranged for Solo Mandolin

I thought I'd share recordings of a couple of my arrangements of old tunes. Both of these tunes have sweet melodies which I think lend themselves to playing around with chord changes, etc. I'm no...
  11. Replies
    Views

Hey Folks! Happy Spring!~o):mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpnee45cRlE
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Opus 38 on Eastman Octave mandolin

following up 2 years and 118 days later with _G5_zF0Sg-E
  13. Replies
    Views

NMD - Hey Mick's back!!

Hey y'all! I've been absent from the forum for several years, but I traded my The Loar 310F yesterday for a more gig-worthy mandolin. I happened into my local Mom & Pop yesterday and they had just...
  14. Re: Does Gibson have a website for it's mandolins?

It's a shame that Gibson doesn't seem too interested in the mandolin department. The Fern I have is a seriously good instrument. I've played $20k+ mandolins that don't sound as good. I don't have the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Washburn mandolins

I bought a Washburn A style oval hole mandolin when I first got back into mandolin after years of not having one. I really wanted to love this mandolin, and although it looked cool it really wasn't...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: less heavy tuners

27.5 grams is slightly less than 1 ounce. While some players may detect this difference in weight, many won’t. Having a strap with sufficient friction across the back and shoulder and better...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Washburn mandolins

Mine is brilliant. Too many of you seem to spend too much money on high end mandolins and then need to justify it by disparaging budget ones. Or is tone not in the fingers after all?

Open your...
  18. Replies
    Views

Thank you Frank. That was so beautifully played it made me cry:grin::crying:

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  19. Replies
    Views

Thanks Folks! Here's a beauty I learned at a subcribers suggestion, that was just what the doctor ordered for my useless injured finger. It's getting better, slowly... Thanks for the...
  20. Re: Stephen Foster on Mandolin & Tabs at a Jam?

I quite enjoy singing. I know I'm not much good, but I go on the basis that EVERYBODY can sing. This song is Hard Times Come Again No More, by Stephen Foster. I heard Hannah Rarity sing it...
  21. Replies
    Views

~o)~o):mandosmiley::mandosmiley:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DinUBZbzCqU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wop-DQGuch4
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Dumb Calton Question

The inside of the top of my Calton does not touch the bridge of my Randy Wood F 5.
  23. Replies
    Views

Love this kinda stuff Frank. So much of what I find online is played at such breakneck pace that my brain can't even keep up listening to it. Your stuff is mellow and relaxing. You are exactly the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrade from Mid-mo

Some people do believe that a "decent" mando starts at about $3000. I have been playing mandos for about 35 years, and my opinion differs. You should easily find a "decent" mando in your price...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Gretsch New Yorker

Hi everyone, new to the café. Happy to be here.

I decided to share a video of my Gretsch New Yorker G9310. This is the sort of video I was looking for (and couldn’t find) before I bought it, so...
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4