Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Tuning mandola or octave mandolin with 2nd course an octave h

On the mandola I used a .018 for the higher octave G (plain). On the OM and mandocello I use a wound .023 or .024 for the high G.

A super simple way to do it is buy 2 sets of regular unison...
  2. Replies
    Views

Chord Shapes: Major 7th

Hey all - a little late today, but I posted up the next lesson in my Chord Shapes series. Here's the full lesson for the Major 7th:
  3. Thread: Sarah Jarosz

by Mandobart
    Replies
    Views

Re: Sarah Jarosz

She and Darol Anger both enjoyed my Cricket fiddle F4 OM. I think she had her Fletcher Brock GBOM, Darol also had a GBOM with a cutaway. Both were great, arch top guitar bodied instruments that...
  4. Replies
    Views

Arkansas Traveler (the clone army)

https://youtu.be/Nc35b2PSKj0

Here's a classic tune played by my self with a couple of tardy lookalikes...
    Hope y'all enjoy it!
  5. Replies
    Views

Note names on the instrument

In case anyone is interested, here is a chart you can print and use.

:mandosmiley::mandosmiley::whistling:
  6. Kate Wolf Accompanied By Two Mandolins – 1985

Kate Wolf was another talent that was taken from us all too soon. She’s a staple in my music library and “Like A River” (the studio version) came up this morning. Thought I’d share a live version...
  7. Replies
    Views

Peter Ostroushko's podcast

Peter Ostroushko recently put up on his website (scroll to bottom of home page) the first episode of a podcast about his work as a radio musician. The music is fantastic, but Peter's telling of his...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Octave pairings?

I didn't know that term for it but its also how I've strung my 10 string mandola, OM and 10 string mandocello. These instruments I have all use a zero fret so the nut slots can accomodate a variety...
  9. Thread: Octave pairings?

by Jacob
    Replies
    Views

Re: Octave pairings?

To my ear, "ascending pitch" mutes and negates the 12-string sound. Had my Rickenbackers modified to the "traditional" 12-string guitar pairing. IMO, the octave string should ring above the lower...
  10. Replies
    Views

Read Me First

The old Forum software has been reinstalled. But I wasn't done meddling just yet. I saw some things in the other version and decided they had their place here so changes have occurred in the...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: eBay sales tax

If everybody has to pay sales tax on Internet sales, it will also help level the playing field for local stores.
  12. Merry Christmas! (Gernandt 23.5 Octave mandolin)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5G7DSv30G8&feature=youtu.be
  13. Replies
    Views

Northfield Archtop Octave video

Hi all,

My wife and I just recorded one of our favorite songs using our Northfield Archtop Octave that I've had for about a year. So I wanted to share this with y'all since there can never be too...
  14. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Mecca

Proud of this article written by our local newspaper and published three years ago today.

Mandolin mecca: Tracing Lawrence’s decades-long love affair with an old-fashioned instrument

Maintain...
  15. Replies
    Views

Here's an update on Peter Ostroushko

...who spoke at a benefit concert held to help pay his medical bills:

http://www.startribune.com/ailing-minneapolis-musician-ostroushko-inspires-supporters-at-fundraiser/488858811/
  16. Two of the great living mandolinists today: Sam B. And Chris T.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt7HlI1RBAI

Done on Chris's show, by the looks being broadcast from Telluride festival. God I wish I could go one year...

Hope you enjoy

(and apologies if...
  17. Thread: Weber Models

by multidon
    Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Models

You have to make a distinction between Weber pre-takeover (Two Old Hippies) and post takeover. Bruce stayed a couple of years after the takeover before “retiring” but changes started soon after the...
  18. Thread: Laurel vs Yanny

by sblock
    Replies
    Views

Re: Laurel vs Yanny

No Mike, that did not happen in this case. But I hope you and my fellow MC musicians don't begrudge the funding spent on basic research, in general. Historically, basic research has paid out huge...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner screw pops out

Yes there are right angle screw drivers. But the ones I have had and used were too long from angle to tip to work. I would look at making one out of a correctly sized driver. But the fingernail...
  20. Replies
    Views

Your tuners were made by Grover, I was replying to Robert. I would assume yours were original to the mandolin.

Most of the off set screw drivers I've seen were heavier than what you would need. I...
  21. Replies
    Views

The word mandolin means "out of tune" in Italian. You might try dropping a line to the folks at Grover about this. I've got a pretty good memory and I don't recall seeing anything posted about this...
  22. Mandolins and Beer Brewery Sessions #2 Make it Grow (original)

Here's another installment of The Brewery Sessions featuring my band The Ol' 55s. This is a upbeat tune our bass player wrote! Cheers!
    https://youtu.be/c-uz-jGuYHY
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Underrated Players?

One who's well appreciated but not talked about a lot is my other (aside from Dave "Friend of the Devil" Grisman) favorite mando guy, Rich DelGrosso, blues mando's foremost living authority. Thanks...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Dobro versus National

A shout-out for the reference -- the main difference between National and Dobro instruments is the construction of the resonator, that aluminum disc that amplifies the string vibrations transmitted...
  25. How to Receive Notifications of Posts to Social Groups

Thanks to Russ Jordan for passing this on in another thread:

"When you are in the group page, go to Group Tools in upper right hand corner, then Subscribe To This Group, then you can choose daily...
Page 1 of 2 1 2