Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Slotted Peghead?

Regarding sustain and body motions: Notes which are close in frequency to the peak frequencies of body modes have noticeably shorter characteristic times, while notes which are not close to body...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Slotted Peghead?

What I have observed is (a) good volume, (b) strong attack, i.e., what players sometimes describe as "pop", and (c) good balance (as in bass/treble balance). Note that I specifically referred to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Cheap repair on bendy neck?

Suggestion #1: To quote King Arthur and his knights from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, "Run away!!"

Suggestion #2: If you're not ready to run away, fill the channel with the stiffest piece of...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Current goings on:

https://i.imgur.com/j7TcPbC.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/mSEHLTc.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/b9gmlwc.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/j0WFPwZ.jpeg
  5. Replies
    Views

Flat top mandolin by Edward Maday

i'm a bass player, and my bass was made by ed in 2020.

I was so in love with my bass i ordered a flat top mandolin from him. i'm not claiming to be much of a mandolin player, but i love this...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: sinker cypress

Just to clear up some botanical confusion, Port Orford cedar (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana) and Bald cypress (Taxodium distichum) are not in the same genus, but are in the same conifer family...
  7. Re: Gibson side bulging - looking for repair suggestions

I like this "torture rack" design. I've been luck to get realignment on some examples with cauls and clamps but it can be challenging with round or oblong objects. I like John's idea of "splitting...
  8. Re: Gibson side bulging - looking for repair suggestions

If you see any signs of white glue, or heaven help us CA, "just say no."
  9. Replies
    Views

As is apparent from many of the builder posts on this string, we seem to be detail-obsessed personalities ... in the best way!

I guess that is why I am so tickled by the little V5 logo detail on...
  10. Replies
    Views

Just because I haven't posted anything here for a while, here's one of the things I'm working on.
    The mahogany that this neck blank is made from is not wide enough for a peghead. This guitar is to...
  11. Replies
    Views

A nice shot of a new inlay for the V5 that I am prepping for finishing --

Steve
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

Gibson's trademarks are not really the "issue" with lots of people, it is the companies' heavy handed tactics related to such.
    C F Martin has trademarks too. The "rectangular" peghead being one of...
  13. Re: The downside list of Upside Down tuning machines

:popcorn:
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Is this good for braces?

I am a young builder.......but a very respected building mentor told me once if you want the best pieces to use for tone bars, you cant just cut a couple out of one piece of wood or only order 2. To...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: First build with James Condino

The nice thing about hot hide glue is that you can control the strength of the bond depending on the amount of water you use when mixing it.
    Looking good James!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Nashville Visit Advice

Carter's used to be the greatest music store in the world. Probably still is, but it ain't quite what it used to be. The first time I went, the sales guy left me alone playing a Loar in a room full...
  17. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Usually the ones that ain't for sale!:))
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: recently discovered Loar K5 ?

Here is a Bayard 26 inch based on the 24 Loar K5, really nice tone on this
    I'll admit 26 inches scares me a little

bkuAmpKIQ9U
  19. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

I’ve only played 1 Loar, and it had a very lovely sound. Of affordable instruments, there’s a Duff and a Sullivan I lust for, although neither are for sale. I’ve played several very nice mandolins...
  20. Replies
    Views

All that may be true, but why not use the best stuff you can find now?
    Bill
  21. Replies
    Views

The grading stamp has 'SPF' (spruce-pine-fir), which groups western species of similar strength. The spruce is Engelmann, the pine is lodgepole or other similar western pines, and the fir is white...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowl back science

THe longitudinal (aka parallel) modulus does indeed follow density. However, the cross-grain (aka perpendicular) modulus can be all over the map, and for a variety of reasons. Per Graham...
  23. Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

Why not use an A/B switch and a line splitter?
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Best way to test preamp sounds at home?

My recommendation would be to go ahead and set up your mixer and one or more PA speaker and set up a GoPro or other recording method to actually hear what it sounds like out at audience position. I...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: The Dewey Murphy Loar Mandolin Project

Tony is a fantastic picker and everyone should look up Jerry’s mandolin album on YouTube. Jerry is a great picker.
    The Murphy brothers played a lot in NC where I’m from. I love this story.
    Harry...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4