Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: sinker cypress

Being underwater for a long period of time -- in the right conditions --- does not harm potential tonewood. Companies are currently dredging up virgin timber from the bottom
    of the Great Lakes...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

Wow, a lot of opinions here, and for good reason. Many of us are emotionally invested with Gibson, with the instruments we own and play, and consequently the respect for a company that has...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Robin Williamson mandolin

I vaguely remember ISB from the sixties, but encountered some of their music in college.

However, I did encounter Robin Williamson at a sold out solo show in Winston-Salem on the recommendation...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello as an octave?

Mandocellos can be restrung as octaves with great success. The string tension is less, so there is less stress on the top. Be aware that vintage models like Gibsons vary in how
    robust the top...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the "Allure" of The Gibson Snakehead?

I think that is the accepted wisdom, and knowing the Gibson Company, it makes perfect sense. Loar left Gibson because the big prject to restimulate the market -- the F5 -- didn't go over with...
  6. Re: What are the chances that a moderately-priced mandolin sounds

There are a couple of ways to look at this. Off shore instruments are probably not put through a rigorous, individual buiiding process, but are designed for maximum quantity, they are going to vary...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Is anyone else scared of Bill Monroe?

Mr. Bill was forging ahead with a sound he heard and he wouldn't rest until he put it into action. This applies to well known musicians who have a singular impact on their genre.

However, I am...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Transitioning to a Bowlback

I think in the modern era, many of us who are mandolin enthusiasts have an idea of "what a mandolin should sound like." Much of this is due to the Gibson Company, who defined the sound and turned...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage Instruments music shop, Philly

I will back up those compliments to Fred and his business. I have bought several instruments over the years, although I have never visited the store itself. The instruments are exactly as ...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Ronnie McCoury on Eastman?

I just emceed a bluegrass festival here in NC, and Ronnie turned to me and said "this here Eastman puts my Gilchrist to shame!" His band mates agreed.

Now that I have your...
  11. Re: Jigs on a Greek bouzouki - Kevin Macleod 2015

Holy Smoke! That is some rockin' zouk playing........
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Willie Nelson’s Bluegrass Album

Every couple of years some name artist in Nashville will come out with one of these albums by booking a bunch of A list players and going through the motions. I think the majority of them are...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s Happening At Gibsin?

For those of us who appreciate the history and impact of Gibson on American musical manufacturing, this is sad news. However, remember that the industry is driven by musical fads and also player...
  14. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: How often do you tune your Mandolin?

As Tim O'Brien likes to say, mandolin is Italian for "out of tune". I normally fine tune at the beginning of a session, and tweak after the first tune or two.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Heavy-duty gigbag for Bouzouki

The Access Stage 3 case is a real gem (multiple pockets and back pack straps) and my customers absolutely love them. Quite substantial padding for a soft case. The interior neck rest is a big plus.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A-4, Teens vs 20s

I think we lose sight of who was working at the factory during what era. Those weren't CNC machines building the mandolins, but people --- quite a few -- and the skill of the indivicuals...
  17. Re: bowl back mandolin attic find, help identify?

I'm a little late to this party, but let me share my opinion.

I am fairly certain it is a Lyon and Healy product, especially from the headstock profile, purfling, and pickguard. However, it...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Lyon & Healy mandolin scales

This is ONLY my personal opinion. I own a longer scale '21 Professional A, but I have have also played a number of B and C models with the shorter scale length. The shorter scale reminds me of the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Your first great mandolin

I had inherited an old Rex bowlback from my great uncle, and became infatuated with the sound of the mandolin. Very quickly, I realized I needed something better, but I was broke. What to do?...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandocello Wikipedia

It's nice that the mandocello community is receiving some recognition. I am always surprised that most people have no idea what it is (or maybe as equally surprised more people dont play it). ...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Early Gibson A4 - Different Inlays?

This mandolin looks like other As that went back to the factory for a rehab. Sunburst is certainly 1930s, and the inlays could have been done at that time, or perhaps by an independent repairman to...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Christmas Song to play

"Beautiful Star of Bethlehem". Always think of the Emmy Lou album.
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Modern case options for teens Gibson A models

The TKL works great. An excellent case all around.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Metronome

Good question. The ebb and flow of the music means the tempo is not strict. Of course, you've got to keep the time.......no matter what. But, imagine being able to create space between the phrases...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Octave mandolin, sitka spruce soundboard and ovangol back and sides. 22 3/4" scale length. 184613184614
Page 1 of 2 1 2