Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Bought on Amazon, listening as I type! Great...

Bought on Amazon, listening as I type! Great stuff! "Earl Grey In The Morn" and "Coffee and A Good Book" are my favorites!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Instrument care: In Floor Radiant Heat

It also depends on the type of radiant heat - if you are talking about pex buried in concrete or a Warmboard or staple-up floor. If it's concrete, then generally the system has a set point, say 65 or...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: So few women

Lol, my PNW breast cancer support group included two men, one who had breast cancer and one who had lost his wife and wanted to give any support he could to women going through the same thing.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: John Sullivan F

Saw Caleb Klauder and Reeb Williams night before last - he has a Sullivan F. Couldn't figure out what it was while he was playing - no builder logo and it's got the Gibson flowerpot on a Gibson-style...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Alternate verses to Shady Grove

That MUST be a mistake, clearly it should be:

"Wish I had a mandolin string, made of golden twine"

kind of awkward with the syllables, but it can be made to work....
  6. Re: Article: John Reischman - Music From Up In The Woods

Picked this up at camp and it was very fun to watch John Reischman and the other instructors play "Nesser" and then go back to my camp and slowly pick it myself! Look forward to getting some good new...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: My new Pava F5!

Now you need a Pava oval to complete the sound samplings ...

there is a Pava oval at Elderly I have my eye on, priced just a tad bit high for me.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: prices then and now

My handy dandy US Bureau of Labor Statistics inflation calculator (which uses CPI, a measure many says underestimates inflation) says that $7,500 in 1995 is $11,750 in 2015, so keep that in mind. And...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: A Prairie Jewel

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?112273-quot-A-Prairie-Jewel-quot-by-John-Reischman-tab-anybody&highlight=reischman+prairie
  10. New (to me) mandolin player, Sterling Abernathy

I saw a guitar/fiddle and mandolin duo last night. The duo name is Wilhelmina, and it is Wilhelmina Frankzerda (Oregon state junior fiddle champion when she was 15) and Sterling Abernathy on...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Your Experiences with Online Learning!

Add:
    Good mandolin players who are mediocre instructors.

Playing and teaching are separate skills that don't always go hand-in-hand. Currently taking lessons with someone I'd say is a pretty good...
  12. Re: Gibson F-5G and Eastman MD-304 on an Irish tune

Isn't this a comparison of two instruments for which the cost is an order of magnitude apart? You can buy a new Eastman 304 for $450 from Mandolin Store. You can buy a used Gibson F5G for between...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Recommendations for a mandolin strap?

Just got a strap from Mandolin Straps of Montana, which I love - it fits under the strings at the bottom of the headstock, like so:

The leather is soft but sturdy (I had a Lakota Leathers...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage vs new vintage

I love the tone Marla Fibish gets (I know you have taken lessons from her), which is what I would call the "non-tubby" end of the Gibson sound, toward the more bell-like, sweet tones. Which is, I...
  15. Re: The Hard Fact That A New Mandolin Won't Make Me Sound Better.

I handed my brand new Eastman 605 to Joe K. Walsh the other day and it sounded fine. Of course, for some reason he prefers his Nugget....
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins Are For the Birds!

Along the same lines as the above video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs_-emj1qR4