Search:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy Hanukkah!

Doing my third Chanukah program with long-time partner Bonnie Abrams today.

52MNVEUtxVk

I'm on mandolin (3-point Gibson F-2, if I remember correctly).
  2. Replies
    Views

Happy Hanukkah!

I'm just sticking my nose in to wish our friends who are celebrating Hanukkah a happy one!

Also, I haven't ghosted all y'all.
  3. Replies
    Views

Espresso Swing - Jordan Ramsey mandolin

Hey Friends, hope you all are well. New vids and a brand new youtube page for my local swing band here in Boulder. We currently have three subscribers:), so any yt love you could throw our way...
  4. Replies
    Views

Adrian Gross - Maiden's Prayer

Hey Folks!

Here's Maiden’s Prayer, with John David Williams on button accordion.

This is a favourite jam tune of mine, especially since slow numbers that aren't waltzes are a bit of a bluegrass...
  5. Re: Sparse mando and guitar examples aka taste lessons

Dave: Please check out the David Grisman/Jerry Garcia albums “Not For Kids Only.” They are exactly what you are looking for! In fact you should have a listen just to make sure you don’t...
  6. Re: Sparse mando and guitar examples aka taste lessons

For "sparse" guitar and mandolin accompaniment. I can't find anyone better than Bill & Earl Bolick, the Blue Sky Boys. Here's a YouTube channel with 38 of their songs, and here's an example:
  7. Re: Sparse mando and guitar examples aka taste lessons

I've always liked Peter Ostroushko's sublime riffing on Greg Brown's rendition of William Blake's "Songs of Innocence and of Experience" set to folk music

d8FozMGibG4
  8. Re: Sparse mando and guitar examples aka taste lessons

Here’s another Foghorn-related recording: Reeb Willms and Caleb Klauder, Oh Do You Remember; very tasteful guitar and mandolin accompaniment to lots of great songs. It has the old time feel.
  9. Re: Sparse mando and guitar examples aka taste lessons

Mandolin Orange, although they switch up instruments.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqWBth_rLgw&t=1714s
  10. Re: Sparse mando and guitar examples aka taste lessons

Well... not always mando & guitar, but one of my alltime favourites is "Lonesome Song" by the Foghorn Duo, Sammy Lind & Caleb Klauder. A great CD project
  11. Re: Sparse mando and guitar examples aka taste lessons

Perhaps you are thinking of this sound? The Blue Sky Boys were minimalists with the vocals out front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lvuQc8Dges
  12. Re: Sparse mando and guitar examples aka taste lessons

Worth checking out some of Simon Mayor & Hilary James arrangements, very tasteful...

hc1I-lklxOs
  13. Re: Sparse mando and guitar examples aka taste lessons

While somewhat in the bluegrass realm, Skaggs and Rice, has some beautiful arrangements. Bury Me Beneath the Willow is to me sublime.
  14. Replies
    Views

Online Lessons With Andy Statman?

I had a great talk with mandolin maestro Andy Statman last week and I suggested that he might think about offering online mandolin lessons during these challenging times.

His first response was...
  15. "TAPS" chord melody...for Jethro Burns by Aaron Weinstein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR45qxR197o
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: RM-998 Resonator Setup

I once owned a 30's National steel mandolin with single spun cone and biscuit bridge. It would be necessary to remove the resonator cover to access the bridge. In my case, I made a duplicate biscuit...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: What strings are you currently playing?

D'a exp74cm
  18. New Forum Software Being Installed: all members must read

Starting this Friday afternoon at approximately 3:00 p.m. Central Time we will begin installing the next generation version of our Forum software. As a result, the Forum will be off-line for between...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Music Tours -- suggestions

box player John Whelan was talking about a music-based ireland tour via bus, i think. Cherish the Ladies does a cruise, but i vaguely remember something about a land tour in Ireland at some point. If...
  20. Replies
    Views

sorry forgot link

https://webanjo3.com/fan-tour/
  21. Replies
    Views

Irish group We Banjo 3 do a tour each year. See link attached, although I see 2020 is waiting list only for cancellation. We Banjo 3 may suit you as it's Irish with a mix of bluegrass, Americana etc...
  22. Replies
    Views

Mick Moloney does tours. Legendary Irish mandolin player himself.
    http://mickmoloney.com/
  23. Replies
    Views

Ye might check out Wild Atlantic Music Tours - aside from the fact that the Wild Atlantic Way winds through a beautiful part of the country, their roster of musicians who lead the tours is pretty...
  24. Replies
    Views

Dave,

I went on a southwest Ireland music tour with Inishfree last year and had a fabulous time. We toured quaint villages and countryside by day and caught intimate ITM in the pubs every evening....
  25. Replies
    Views

1. Nothing wrong with Little Beggarman (Red-Haired Boy, Soldier With a Wooden Leg), whatever you call it.

2. Where are you located –– anywhere within shouting distance of Rochester NY? The Dady...
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4