Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Washburn bowlback bridge

I'm with Tavy on this one. I'd definitley use a bridge designed for the instrument. Grover makes a very respectable bowl back bridge for around 20.00. Here's an example off ebay: ...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Howe Orme Mandolinetto Bridge

When I got this, the neck had come loose, the heel had cracked and someone had attempted a "dump and roll" repair where they simply poured some kind of white glue into the loose neck joint and in...
  3. Replies
    Views

Well, it's been a busy summer and I knew I didn't need to get this completed until the Folk Alliance Midwest Conference where I will return it to it's rightful owner. That starts Thursday, so I...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: 1930-31 National Duolian with neck issues

I had a bit of down time this week and was able to get on to this project and complete it. I drilled the holes for the screws and position dots. I had to re-seat all the frets above the body joint...
  5. Replies
    Views

Pops1, Interestingly enough, I tried what you suggested, and added in a temp. 12th fret and strung up 2 strings to check intonation. Amazingly enough, I had to slide the board farther BACK UP the...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Remove gunk from 1924 Gibson neck

I restore vintage instruments as a side gig (got me through Covid!) and have had excellent luck cleaning up old instruments using Virtuoso Cleaner (https://virtuosopolish.com). It is specifically...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Cleaning up new old tuners

I've had excellent results using electrolysis on old tuners. Here's an old Stu Mac Trade Secrets video that explains the process: ...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Nyla-gut Banjo set up specs

Thanks very much for the responses! I'll reply in order.

Pops1: Yes, I think I do need to reach out to Baggs and see what they think. The feet on this banjo bridge appear to be thicker than the...
  9. Replies
    Views

I've been pulled away from this job recently by other obligations, but am back on this project again. Here's the latest:

I decided to attempt to match the bottom arch profile on a bridge blank...
  10. Replies
    Views

Thanks, Jeff! Yes, the headstock number is C 230.

Marc Schoenberger proved to be an excellent suggestion. I found Marc's website and gave him a call. He clearly knows his stuff and had some...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Washburn Bowl back neck re-set

I've been tied up lately, but finally got around to completing this project. I was able to glue the shimmed fingerboard with no problems. Everything fit back together well and the shim adjusted the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Washburn Bowl back neck re-set

Again, thanks for te excellent info, everyone! I've been infatuated with bowl backs for some time since excellent quality instruments are frequently available for very low prices since most folks...
  13. Replies
    Views

Washburn Bowl back neck re-set

I am currently working on an American Conservatory (by Washburn) bowl back mandolin that needs a neck re-set.

The instrument came apart easily with no issues or damage.This is a mandolin without...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin D-18 Bridge plate issue

I am delighted to say that the operation was a success and the patient has made a successful recovery! Using John Arnold's work as an example, I created a series of very thin spruce re-enforcement...
  15. Replies
    Views

I feel better knowing that! I've got 2 of the side support pieces in, I'll need 2 more before I deal with the bridge.
  16. Replies
    Views

Here's the latest in the saga. As mentioned previously, I glued the un-repaired cracks beneath the bridge and cut out as much damaged wood as necessary before inlaying in new spruce to create a...
  17. Re: Wrapping strings around tuners too many times restringing?

Years ago, I read an interview with Lester Flatt who spoke about this very thing. He said always had three or 4 turnings on the post and said essentially what Pops1 just said; more windings = less...
  18. Replies
    Views

Thanks very much for all the comments and advice! Very much appreciated. Here's where I am at now:

As discussed, I'm working through the sound hole (there are several cracks around the sound...
  19. Re: bridge recommendations for a Weymann mandolute

Hi Scot63, I've restored on Mandolute and have two more in line for eventual restoration. Here are pics of the bridges I've seen.

1) 201613 This is what I have seen on multiple Weymann...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson J45 top repair

OK, Here's my two cents worth... Everyone is right that this is not a valuable instrument due to the damage and probably not worthy of a full boogie restoration. That being said, it's an early Gibson...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: The problem is mostly sentimental

My mistake, I misread the post and assume the original post was from FL. I spent time in the Keys in the early 80s and the luthier in question was no spring chicken then so I'd be surprised if it...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Acme Bowlback repair

Hi David,

A very interesting piece! I've been playing with bowl backs a bit recently and can offer a few thoughts... Use abuse or ignore as you see fit.

First of all, what you have is an...
  23. Re: 1964 Guild 1964 F-30 Special Brazilian Rosewood

FINISHED SHOTS:

195734 Full frontal shot.

195735 Close up, top.

195736 Repaired headstock.

195737 Fingerboard.
  24. Re: 1964 Guild 1964 F-30 Special Brazilian Rosewood

IN PROGRESS CONTINUED:

195727 Neck being re-attached.

195728 Headstock veneer being re-glued.

195729 New bridge being re-glued.

195730 Leveling, crowning and polishing frets.
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Help please!!!! Messed up pretty bad

OK, first thing, take a deep breath. It's nasty (very!), but repairable. And, if you want to be a garage luthier, here's your chance. First of all, figure out how to disassemble what's left and...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3