Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How much for the best?

[QUOTE=Astro;1276149

]It sure would be interesting to take the labels off those 8k, 10k. 12k, 20k, 30k, 50k, 75k, 125k, 250k mandolins and pass them around with some good 5 k mandolins and see if...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile on Jimmy Fallon

Well put SC. The odd thing is I have great respect for CT is general, but I dislike the hype and the sell-out factor. I have posted twice on disappointing performances. For some reason, it seems to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile on Jimmy Fallon

There's been a lot of hype about this band's re-formation and his recent appearances. I tuned in to see and felt underwhelmed. Sorry if this observation is not as interesting as "should I buy the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Ricky Skaggs on Bill Monroes playing style

Interesting thread, evidentally touches a lot of nerves. Personally, I think of Bill Monroe more of a stylistic innovator. Sometimes he was sloppy, but he had soul and guts and he's the one that...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Realization...I am terrible.

My suggestion is to jam with someone who plays a musical instrument. As opposed to a banjo.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: My mandolin is WAY better than yours!

Personality comes out in all different ways. People are proud of their instrunments just like their kids. And often blind to their defects. But it doesn't stop them from showing pictures.
  7. Re: Performing with blondes, and tortoise binding

I'm a big fan of blondes, which you can see from the thumbnail of my Lawrence Smart 2 point.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatiron F5 chocolate

I generally concur here, with 1994 roughly being at the epicenter of quality. The quality after Gibson took over held up for a short time and then fell off in my opinion. Again, I kind of feel it was...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Criminal Mandolin Players

I play at a jam where many of the players should be arrested by the music police.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: [Loar Update] I'm a proper idiot.

This is not the first distress story that has been posted regarding this manufacturer. I would steer clear of these on that basis.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: F Style Penchant

At this price range their really won't be much of a difference. The debate over whether their's a difference at any price range continues...I personally think it's more a question of the maker, the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: F Style Penchant

Now I see you already have a Gibson A. I still think you should wait until you have more money, but if your determined I'd go with the Eastman or the Kentucky.
  13. Re: Upgrading from a Loar LM600VS to a.......Weber???

I make this suggestion a lot. However, if you watch the classifieds, you'll eventually find a used Flatiron (which was originally made by Weber) from the 80's - 90's which will be between 3 - 4...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: The Loar production issues?

That's not what I mean Allen. The price is the price and they are entitled to charge for their service. I happily buy from premium stores because they give more choices and services. I'm really...
  15. Thread: Greetings

by Wolfmanbob
    Replies
    Views

Re: Greetings

We welcome recent converts to our arcane sect of devotees known as mandolytes. We have many strange and mysterious practices that are passed on individually. If you study faithfully and prove your...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Vale Pete Seeger.

One of my early inspirations as well. Met him several times, took time to speak with me, a sweet guy. Really a very significant life!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Washburn vs Kentucky for a beginner?

I've checked in on this question quite a bit and I always get a lot of heat. I think you'd be better off buying something older and a teardrop shape. Like this http://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/72606...
  18. Re: The artistic (and touchy) side of private builders?!?!

On one hand I can imagine what it might be like to put a great deal of work into an instrument and then have someone nit-pick. On the other hand, you ARE spending a great deal of money. I had an...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: "Opening-up", Myth or Fact?

No question about it. If you play that mandolin 2 - 3 hours a day consistently for a period of several months, "it" will sound much better.
  20. Re: Why no "A" note in the 4 finger D chop chord?

Basically, what some of the others said is true. You don't necessarily need every note in the chord for it to maintain it's identity or purpose. Especially in bluegrass where this shape is generally...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: capturing that bluegrass sound

I remember in Miles Davis' autobiography, he stated that playing any particular style of music involved learning a collection of cliches. I guess that amounts to learning the vocabulary of the...
  22. Thread: Chris Thile

by Wolfmanbob
    Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile

Chris Thile is a marvelously gifted player and musician...and most of his music, at least to me, is not enjoyable. I marvel at his ability, but for the most part, I just don't dig what he does. I...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Chopping on the Off Beat

Play along with classic bluegrass bands on you-tube. You will internalize it eventually. Remember, you are the "chick" in the "boom-chick". However, the best rythm players will do much more than...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is Fast, Fast and Faster Better ?

Joni...everyone is a beginner at some point and reliant upon the patience and good will of others. If it feels like that where you are, you may be playing with the wrong people. BTW, there are...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is Fast, Fast and Faster Better ?

One of the marks of a really good musician is they play in time. Some of those speed demons are unable to play in time and it sounds even worse when they play slow. On the other hand, when you hear...
Page 1 of 2 1 2