Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Nanci Griffith

I always tear up at the end when I hear her sing "Tecumseh Valley".

Me too. I saw her a number of times starting in '93. At one show in Seattle, I was just about front row, and when she introduced...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake Tunes

Here's an attempt at New Brick Road, I know this isn't quite right yet, but it's a start. Thanks to Mike Black for a transcription that helped a lot to get started on it.

bGepA57LpNU
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Bruce (bbcee on the cafe and SAW group) got in touch with me about doing a collaboration on this tune from the "Gallop to Georgia" CD by Compton and Blake. It's an old tune played by Narmour and...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

Peter could play anything on the mandolin(also fiddle and guitar)and play it at master level. He did an awful lot to showcase and popularize the mandolin, his versatility and virtuosity showing us...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: D'addario strings (Consistent breakage)

I’ve used D’addario strings almost exclusively since I started playing mandolin over ten years ago. I may have had one E string break. I can’t really remember. Certainly hasn’t been a problem for me.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Women with Mandolins

A good sibling duo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v-fJBqSkSs
  7. Re: and i'm interested in finding out about Givens mandolins

I have owned 3 Givens mandolins... Two were great and one was just okay. I sold the last one because the neck was warping and it had no adjustable tuss rod. It was an A6 that cost $1,000 new in 1991!...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Siminoff's Straight Up Strings

I finally got to install a set of SU heavies on my old war horse Newson f5 and I'm impressed. Impressed enough that I won't be putting it up for sale like I'd been planing. I'd been trying...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Master Models

On caveat: There is more than just hide glue that differentiates the D-18 Authentic from the D-18 GE. There are very critical differences in construction and bracing that exist between these two...