Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Tradition vs. Gibson Master Model

I'm in Dallas if you ever want to check out what a Derrington DMM is all about. Nokona was my glove of choice!
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Tradition vs. Gibson Master Model

Gryphon has a Derrington signed DMM now. I have not seen one for sale in over 10 years. Precious few of those in existence. Those are wonderful instruments. I have owned mine for over 20 years....
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Red Diamond vs. Gibson F5L or MM

For a few years i owned A DMM and a Red Diamond Crusher voiced mandolin. The Red Diamond was truly an exceptional mandolin but i sold it to buy a vintage Martin. I still own the DMM. I play it...
  4. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

Doc Watson couldn’t read music. SRV couldn’t read. I play with many fabulous musicians who don’t know how to read. Just learn to play. It will keep you interested in learning. Developing an ear is...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Holding on to your personal Holy Grail mandolin

My Gibson 2003 Gibson DMM. I will never own another mandolin. Hard to believe we have been mates for nearly 20 years.
  6. Thread: Ellis Waitlist

by goose 2
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Waitlist

Gorgeous! And I’ll bet it sounds as good as it looks!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Nanci Griffith

Sad news. I will never forget hearing her at the Cactus Cafe during a rare Austin snowstorm in about ‘84 or ‘85. Great intimate show. Went with a gal who eventually became and still is my wife. An...
  8. Thank you Mandolin Cafe for putting this out....

Thank you Mandolin Cafe for putting this out. Makes me proud to be part of this community! Thanks a lot CJ! I love your picking!
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile's personal luthier

Tom Crandall is a super nice man. I was in his shop Thursday and played a bunch of the guitars and mandolins he has set up and restored. It’s a fabulous acoustic instrument shop. One of the best I...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD Ellis A4 Deluxe with Hummingbird inlay.

Gorgeous mandolin. I have not had MAS for so long I thought I was cured...until now.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Dallas / Ft. Worth, TX spots?

Garland square still going, weather permitting. Sons of Herman Hall on Thursday night in Deep Ellum is closed for now but hopeful that it will open back up soon when the bars open.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Jerry Jeff Walker

Being a Texas boy I always thought of Jerry Jeff was thought as a deity. I heard him so many times. The most memorable was in a bar in Amarillo during a blizzard with John Inman on guitar. The Mount...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Should Bryan Kimsey scallop my guitar?

I have known Bryan for many years. We used to pick a lot together and camp together at Winfield when he comes. Through our network of mutual friends/pickers I have played untold number of guitars he...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Live from Here is no more

That is a total downer. The show was exceptional and I loved the fact that a show like that existed in our current culture. I thought Thile was always captivating and the content wonderful.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: One Mandolin - forever...

My Gibson Distressed Master Model that I have had since about 2003. As they say...”til death do us part...”
  16. Thread: Gibson A9

by goose 2
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A9

My main instrument is an '03 DMM but I also have an '02 A-9. I always love playing that thing. I have played several and liked every one that I have played. I have never played an instrument that...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: The virus, the economy, mandolins and you

If John Hartford was a mandolin picker he might have said...

Mando can get you through times of no money but money can’t get you through times of no mando
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Waiting for UPS

It does. This was proven by Einstein in his theory of relativity. Waiting on delivery of his new violin gave him the idea from his observation of common phenomena. His wife worked out all the math...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Happy 75th Birthday Today, David Grisman!

Happy Birthday Dawg! You are my musical hero. Your music inspired me to pick up the instrument 20 years ago and i have played everyday since. The mandolin has brought my life joy and blessings...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Hoffee vs new Calton vs Pegasus vs ?

I have had Pegasus and Canada made Caltons. I like the Pegasus much better. It’s incredibly sturdy and protective. I especially like how the contour of the Pegasus conforms to the body and makes...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Nice story about Mike Marshall's Loar

I love stories like Mike. I have a nice sounding mandolin and enjoy hearing others play it in jams.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Women with Mandolins

the Wilders are one my favorite bands ever. Betse is a Winfield legend!
  23. Re: Gibson Ricky Skaggs Distressed Master Model - My New Mandolin

It looks amazing. The last time I saw Ricky I asked him which Loar he was playing and he told me is was his distressed master model which he couldn’t be happier with it.
  24. Thread: Thick Picks?

by goose 2
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thick Picks?

I like the gypsy mando shape and the material is the nouveau tortoise material. That gives a dark warmth but a ton of punch and projection. The Trias is slightly larger shape which I like on guitar....
  25. Thread: Thick Picks?

by goose 2
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thick Picks?

i use a 2.0 mm pick, rounded, for both guitar and mandolin. I love the fat tone and presence thicker picks can give. Here is where I get mine. Best picks in existence in my opinion: ...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3