Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: May Jazz tune of the month: Body and Soul

Another (terrific resource by the way) is to explore Pete Martin's offerings at http://www.petimarpress.com/books.html . Pete is often on the Jazz Forum here in the cafe and there are a load of his...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Technique question

I try to what sounds right and what feels right. I have several different scale length instruments and for both melody and or chordal playing, each one requires listening to what I'm trying to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: A Kiss To Build A Dream On

The song is a true masterpiece - and your interpretation of Pops rendition is spot on Dave! Thanks for posting this on the unamplified guitar. That seems to make the tune even more timeless and...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Kala, Blueridge, GDAE, and other questions...

Gianna, for a fiddler, the CGDa tuning is a Viola tuning. There are a lot of things which you can do with it which just sound - um - richer on a C tuned instrument. One other point, if you capo a C...
  5. Thread: From Toots

by Dolamon
    Replies
    Views

Re: From Toots

Dave, re tremolo ... many, if not most of this thread have arrived at TG's from a mandolin background. Tremolo or a variation of it is something we have to work at from the start. Now for a banjo,...
  6. Thread: From Toots

by Dolamon
    Replies
    Views

Re: From Toots

Thanks Dave, great interpretation on Thielmann's classic. A playing question now that you've resurfaced. Can you describe the different right hand technique between T Banjo and T guitar? I realize...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar Gallery & Sightings

Christopher Fonda on Tenor, doing a Cab Calloway tune with some Slim Galliard and Scatman Crothers thrown in ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tPv0w2XjDM

There's a few of his Videos on You...
  8. Thread: cgda tuning

by Dolamon
    Replies
    Views

Re: cgda tuning

We play tenor guitars. We love a challenge, your chord are all there, and in the right order ... we can deal with it. And, thanks for the delightful piece of music.
  9. Thread: Tres Ciubano

by Dolamon
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tres Ciubano

Zed - In eastern Cuba: Guantanamo, Santiago, Holguin etc., most of the instruments I saw, seemed to be 3/4 size Classical guitars which were 'converted' to Tres Cubano by changing the nut and saddle...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: So who is finger picking thier tenor?

On those odd, quiet playing times, I normally use my thumb and index finger only. For rhythm playing, I cluster my index and thumb and pull up an almost descant rhythm where I strum the low strings...
  11. Thread: Vega Tenor

by Dolamon
    Replies
    Views

Re: Vega Tenor

Nice little guitar and great playing - as usual. Next time you have it on a video, show the back of the head stock. There are a lot of us who have literally drawers full of old obsolete tuners stored...
  12. Thread: Four strings

by Dolamon
    Replies
    Views

Re: Four strings

Good on ya Fox! But you might have created a monster. If he's got the bug for four strings and is obviously aware of your very nice collection, keep a close inventory, unless of course he offers to...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Freddie Green on Tenor Guitar(CGDa)

This is his take on a twelve bar blues ...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rlaw2_MMM7E

Not bad for a guy who just started on tenor ...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Modern vs Traditional Tone

And now, for something entirely different ... http://www.anonews.co/music-to-432-hz/ This is a tantalizing sideways look at tone, from a physics perspective. All it takes is a little bitty 8 herz...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Mandola Case

You might want to explore http://www.cedarcreekcases.com/ . I have had two of them made for odd sized mandola instruments and while not inexpensive, they are well done. Many of their cases are custom...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Archtop Tenor Build Complete

I got a big kick out of the Violin / cello style tailpiece. Brilliant application! Have you tried a deep compensated bridge on it to both straighten out the bridge and increase sound level? I had to...
  17. Thread: Ragtime Banjo

by Dolamon
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ragtime Banjo

Thanks for posting this listing. I haven't seen or heard of this book before and, it seems to be out print. I found used copy for sale and have it ordered. As for the unusual chord shapes, you might...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Vintage tenors with truss rods?

Many, if not most of the early Tenor guitars were made for standard tenor banjo strings. These are extremely low tension strings to give brightness to the banjo. The convenience for trade off...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Sawchin bouzouki?

I own three Sawchyn instruments, a Beavertail Mandola, an A2 Mandolin and a long scale AO2 Octave / Bouzouki. These are all remarkable instruments both in sound, quality of build and finish and...
  20. Replies
    Views

Different Tenor Solution

Eddie Davis has posted a new series of tenor guitar demonstrations ... this time on a Short Scale Breedlove guitar, in Viola tuning CGDA. What's different is he has strung the guitar on the interior...
  21. Thread: Gold Tone MBT+

by Dolamon
    Replies
    Views

Re: Gold Tone MBT+

Verne - I own a few resonator instruments and if they are set up properly, should have terrific sustain and a strong primary tone. These were built initially in the 1920's to stand up to brass bands...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Not a tenor but look at this thing!!

Hmmmh I wonder what the case looks like and if the instrument (?) possibly came from one of the Siren's of the Odyssey? Looking at it again, it looks like a stage prop from a Pirandello play from the...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: What do you play on your tenor guitar?

I work on my Jazz pieces as rhythm exercises and sometimes it is a real struggle. Occasionally I get inspired to play and explore various parts of Bach's cello preludes as either pick or finger...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Tenor Guitar Gallery & Sightings

I haven't seen (noticed) this one posted here before
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQMRskHg-BYTo my knowledge, this is the first time I've seen Jerry Thomasson in a video and he is solid. But then, so is...
  25. Re: Where can I find a nice, but cheap, tenor guitar?

This type of guitar has become fairly desirable lately and while there are a lot of them floating around, you have to keep on looking. Besides eBay there are often one or two listed here in the Cafe'...
Page 1 of 2 1 2