Search:

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: CGDA how is one supposed to play G#7 and A7 chords?

There's an easy G7 chord form that surprisingly, I don't see on this chart.
    4th string, 5th fret
    3rd string, 4th fret
    2nd string 5th fret
    1st string, 5th fret

The chord notes, from low to...
  2. Replies
    Views

Duets on TikTok

I remember back in the ‘70’s when friends would come over to our house with a single or LP that they’d just managed somehow to get hold of, and we were all excited because it was an ‘import’, meaning...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin misunderstanding by young folk

I don't understand what people are arguing about. The OP has made clear that he's right, and no one else's experience and knowledge matters. All he wants is a discussion in which everyone defers to...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: First build with James Condino

Video update: FF holes are now 98% complete. I won't take out significantly more material, just refine the edges for the visual aspect. This process with James' test rig has been such an eye opener,...
  5. Unicorn sighting (Halsey F-5 on youtube)?

I was made aware of this band that I have never heard about. They are the Alum Ridge Boys & Ashlee. They obviously play traditional bluegrass in a very good way. I have only been able to dip into the...
  6. Replies
    Views

And another...

https://www.nkforsterguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/irish-bouzouki-1024x632.jpeg

Another bouzouki heading off to the USA in a couple of days. Video to follow...
  7. Replies
    Views

Was away quite a while...

Clearly pretty out-of-touch now! Need to put some new strings on and start practicing again. Build up the callouses....still, the Ellis is great motivation.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: First build with James Condino

Here is a video of my top on the test rig to show how much it sounds like a mandolin even without FF holes cut. It's kind of shocking to play. The volume and sustain really stand out to me. One of...
  9. Replies
    Views

Trailer for Ger Mandolin Orchestra 2024

Just came across this impressive video, with Mike Marshall playing and directing the orchestra. I assume that they're on tour elsewhere. Other videos have women, including, I believe, Caterina...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: OK, What Are The Odds ?

Welcome to the Cafe.

In future, when changing strings, please video yourself! ;)
  11. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

I'm reminded of some observations made by Mike about Monroe’s playing that I found very insightful .. and by extension relate toMike’s playing as well…

(from interviews w/ Mike )

“The Monroe...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

_Ve6L69cyaY
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

When you practice do you stop and “correct” any clams you play? DON’T DO THAT! If you stop when you practice you’ll train yourself to stop when you play. Play through your errors, keeping the feel of...
  14. Thread: Hallelujah

by Colin Botts
    Replies
    Views

Hallelujah

Yes, I know, this song has been done, redone, used, and abused, and I should have left it alone. However, I decided maybe there was a little room left in the world for a solo mandolin instrumental....
  15. Replies
    Views

A brace of BRW's

I recently acquired this three-point oval hole BRW to complement my two-point f-hole mandolin that I have had and adored for over 5 years now. The oval is one of only two that I know about, and was...
  16. Thread: DolinmanX

by diptanshu
    Replies
    Views

Re: DolinmanX

https://youtu.be/o9_1gq9gyeg?si=UN1RfDpiS9tiACAK
  17. Replies
    Views

Sierra Ferrell: lots of mandolin content

She's amazing and so is her band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spHoixofvso

spHoixofvso
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake is 86

From the same period, here's some fine mandolin playing by Nancy Blake at 33:20. The tunes are: Within A Mile/Durham Rangers/Far from Home/Primrose Lass.

If the links don't work, search for...
  19. Current state of the art flat top mandolin

This is my latest 4th generation flat top mandolin. This is the culmination of 12 years of work improving the sound of the flat top mandolin. It all started from the fact that it is possible to...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Norman Blake is 86

Let's have some of Norman in his prime!

https://youtu.be/IA2CtM1B1Ak
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike M on different m’cello

Thanks, Tim. The forum looks quite different on my iPad compared with my laptop, with a lot of the features such as advanced settings no longer there, as far as I can see anyway.

Pretty cool...
  22. Re: Stroboclip Tuner TL;DR Tale told by an idiot*, Part 765:

I the event of an EMP, and/or "the big one," I too have a 440 tuning fork. And a log log duplex slide rule. Unless & until then, I like the convenience of electronic tuners. 😹
  23. Replies
    Views

The Dawg's loose again!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/1019-New-Music-from-Acoustic-Disc-Dawgnilo-Danilo-Brito-and-David-Grisman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WElqaeMP09o
  24. Thread: Aged-tone?

by Ranald
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aged-tone?

The tone when you tune your mandolin to A-G-E-D?
  25. Replies
    Views

Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

It took a good long while and more wheeling and dealing (and spousal apologizing) than I've ever done, but I've managed to put together a full Lyon & Healy Quartet.

All are player grade - the...
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 4