Search:

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Why do some higher end mandos return to the market so quickly

I'd say the majority of it is due to MAS. There's no known cure for it. And getting a Loar won't cure it either. I've bought dozens since buying my first Loar. It's a disease that can't be helped...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe's guitar

No confusion here after decades of photographic studies of Bill's two prewar D28 guitars. The first one bought used around 1940 was a mid 30's D28 Martin. It was used by all the Boys up until late...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Loarfest for January 2023

To answer a few questions about LoarFest East. It was added to Banjothon back about 2016 I think. Covid hit and 2 years were not held. It is a private event. Your best way to get invited is bring...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Randy Wood Two-Point at Carter's

It is a most interesting "collectible/playable" custom Randy Wood mandolin. Very few, if any of Clarence White's instruments come up for sale because he really didn't own that many. Most all if his...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: 1950’s Gibson F5

Ah, the controversial 50's F5s. You would think with Bill Monroe going strong by the 50's Gibson would have been overrun with orders. Many forget the F5 and the F12 were custom ordered instruments....
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar awareness...beginning when??

From what I have found it was Lester Flatt who played the first F5 in bluegrass in the Kentucky Pardners. If you are of the belief that the Monroe Bros. sound was the foundation for the sound of the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Cafe Milestones

Milestones indeed JB. 14K posts in 15 years sure has me beat. I go back to 1995 at the start, but somewhere along 2002 something happened and MC lost my past and I had to start over. It says I've...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin pick guards

well, Bill Monroe did keep the PG on his old F7 and when he got is old Loar it had the PG on it. He tells of the story it kept getting loose and kept falling off so he just left it off. Then later...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Derrington signed A5l MasterModel?

With the explanation from Charlie D. above, it makes sense the A5L which was re-introduced from the original Master Model A-5 from 1923. The fact it has the MM label and a signed label proves the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky-brand info

I've got a few finer Gibson F5s but I also have a few Eastman 815s and also one each of the KM 900, 1000, 1500 and 5000. To me the high end Kentucky models are far superior to the high end Eastman. ...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Levon Helm’s Gibson F-4 what year is it ?

The photo is from the RRHF. Levon donated it to them and then they ruin the display by showing him playing another mandolin (his EM200 electric Gibson). Seriously, these professional museum...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Best prices Gibson F5

I understand the OP only wanted to know the best price for the year Gibson made the F5 in. NOT an F9, F12 or Flatiron (they mentioned they know Gibson made other brand name mandolins, but they are...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: The newest hot mandolin accessory!

If only Bill Monroe had one way back ....................
  14. Re: Do you take your best or most valuable mandolin to gigs?

not a pro, but know quite a few and can say most that have the good ones do go out with them. But then their 2nd or 3rd ringers are not shabby either. You do your gigs with the one you love the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: I have MAS and check the classified hourly…

That's like saying you got a headache and you take 2 Advils. Your headache will come back. Seriously looking at them through a bright light screen is not the same as touching them, smelling them,...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: The cure for MAS

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my mandolins for what I told her I paid for them. I've even tired that "there is empty case coming in next week" and she fell for it as mandolins...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: The cure for MAS

As long as you understand there is no known cure for M.A.S. then you are better able to live with it day to day. Using going out and playing other mandolins is like taking an Advil for the cure. It...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Can anyone give me info on this one? Gibson?

These models with the little pearl diamond the Gibson logo in thin style script are all dated to 1944 and are the A50 model. Most do have a FON somewhere stamped on the inside of the back as viewed...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile using an SM57 mic

Chris arrives at venue and asks "what type mics do you use in the house?" The sound man "we've been 57/58 shures for decades now". Chris "cool man, that will work". Bottom line, they could have...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: 61 F5 at Carters

yes, the 50's and 60's F5 and F12 were custom order only instruments, or made to order. A dealer would normally get a downpayment (it varied) and the order was placed. It could take 6 months to 2...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Lloyd Loars in the classifieds

I remember playing this one in the mid 80's when Joyce Adams owned it. She got it from original owner. It had the refinish and block inlay on it then. I remember it being a fine sounding F5. I...
  22. Thread: MAS Control

by f5loar
    Replies
    Views

Re: MAS Control

I suffer from MAS. I've had it over 40 years now. My biggest fear in life is when I die my wife will sell my mandolins for the price I told her I paid for them.
  23. Thread: Blonde Loars ?

by f5loar
    Replies
    Views

Re: Blonde Loars ?

You could consider a Loar era Tenor Lute TL as a blonde Loar because it does have the Master Model label.
  24. Re: Gibson F-5L from '78-'82 Serial numbers and information.

Gibson F5L Serial no. 71568197 proto type signed by Arron Cowles on June 20, 1978. Given to Bill Monroe in 1980
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: 1951 F-12 Versus F-5 Construction?

Same materials used except in neck. The '51 F12 would be a mahgony neck. The F12 is lighter in weight, and generally sounds better than same year F5.
Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 4