Search:

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Wintergrass 2024 Vintage Instrument Workshop

Another terrific Wintergrass and the Fretboard Journal Vintage Instrument workshop/tasting. It is always such great fun and this year Tim O'Brien, Eli West, Nina Gerber and Chris Eldridge did a...
  2. Re: Tuning mandola or octave mandolin with 2nd course an octave h

My OM, mandola and mandocello are all built by Tom Jessen. One of the many benefits of his instruments is the use of a zero fret, so the nut is just to guide the strings to the tuning machines.
  3. Re: Tuning mandola or octave mandolin with 2nd course an octave h

yes and I am 50 /50 on it, I know Reischman and Flinner talk about doing that on the 2 bottom strings of a mandola.

this is my weber gallatin octave tuned in octave courses ( G, D , A, E is...
  4. Browns Ferry Blues-posted today, loaded with living icons

goodness, everybody on this are top shelf. Sam Bush playing mandolin and bass, quick glimpse of him holding a blonde mando(does he have a new axe?), Bela, Tony T, Michael on fiddle and as always is a...
  5. My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

Instead of going to the upcoming NAMM Show in 2024 decided to pay a visit to Northfield and Elderly Instruments. Northfield was yesterday and was a mind blowing experience getting to play all of...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Frank Ford

One of my favorite Frank quotes.... He often said when he sold a brand new instrument to someone "It'll never look better and it'll never sound worse.". I've used that one several times.
    If you've...
  7. Thread: RIP Frank Ford

by tuhker
    Replies
    Views

Loved this guy; so intelligent, friendly, and funny. I had the pleasure of working with him to oversee some work on my A4 and he shared the history of the old Gibson's as only he could do. It was...
  8. Replies
    Views

Frank did a wonderful service to the lutherie world thru frets.com, as well as his teaching and willingness to share his knowledge. Whether you were looking for information on guitar neck sets,...
  9. Replies
    Views

One of the great gentlemen of the stringed instrument world. Rest in peace, Frank.
  10. Replies
    Views

One of the kindest, wittiest, talented and finest humans to walk the planet, and a legend in the music community. You left people and their musical instruments better for knowing you. Rest easy Frank.
  11. Replies
    Views

RIP Frank Ford

Gryphon Stringed Instruments has announced that Frank Ford passed away this afternoon.

https://www.facebook.com/gryphonstrings
  12. Re: Northfield's $200 Surcharge For Wide Nut?

I just heard from Adrian at Northfield and he essentially confirmed the above post regarding production technique and demand. He also mentioned they might be offering the wide-nut version as a...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Shane MacGowan has passed (NMC)

RIP Shane. You became part of the holiday season around here.

j9jbdgZidu8
  14. Re: New 19” scale Northfield Wavelength Octave/Reichman Demo

an highly technical discussion on the extremely cool eleOcto

Mdp_-JzibXk
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Do instruments appreciate in value over time?

If Kurt Cobain had played a cheap Silvertone mandolin on "Unplugged," the market price for that model would have skyrocketed.
    But they still would have sounded exactly like cheap Silvertone...
  16. Re: New 19” scale Northfield Wavelength Octave/Reichman Demo

Hi everyone. Our new Wavelength octave is in production now. Our first batch is finishing up and is in the setup process. We got a little behind with all the summer festivals and the general pace and...
  17. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

Here's a new recording that even the old time Frank Wakefield fans may not have seen yet. Just shared in the last few days after a visit from Michael Daves and Tony Trischka.

18. Replies
    Views

Re: Where has this member been?

Heard from Allen. Without divulging any personal/private info, I'll just say he's pretty busy but doing fine. Also that he appreciates the interest in his wellbeing!
  19. Replies
    Views

I shot him an email (different address than the one above). After 17,000+ posts, I wouldn't classify Allen as a transient.
    We'll have to wait and see I guess.
  20. Replies
    Views

I've noticed the absence of allenhopkins who was a frequent poster. He hasn't posted since Dec 2022.
  21. one statement that stuck with me about Tony...

one statement that stuck with me about Tony Rice's guitar playing

"It wasn't metronomic. It was buoyant and floating"

That hit the nail on the head, and absolutely is the difference.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Tony Bennett

So many, including myself, loved his music and his style. I loved his duets with younger artists and I'm certain they learned a lot from him; He always said that he learned from them, also. He seemed...
  23. Replies
    Views

Singer nonpareil, painter, humanitarian. His march with MLK to Selma is just one landmark in a life well lived.
  24. Replies
    Views

Yes, with the passing of Tony Bennett we’ve lost another great one. A master interpreter of the American songbook, always sung with finesse & emotional impact. An Italian pop singer with a Jazz...
  25. Article: New Music - Darol Anger, Mike Marshall, Tony Rice, Todd

You can view the page at https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/content/968-New-Music-Darol-Anger-Mike-Marshall-Tony-Rice-Todd-Phillips-Live-November-30-2001
Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 4