Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Tuning mandola or octave mandolin with 2nd course an octave h

A few years ago, I played a used Fletcher Brock 10-stringer at Dusty Strings that also had octave pairs on those three courses. That instrument was absolutely stunning in looks, tone, and volume! I...
  2. Re: Browns Ferry Blues-posted today, loaded with living icons

Yup, Strings introduces the band by name in the last verse. Usually, Schatz wears a hat.

That was an excellent run through the song, as you'd expect from that roster. However, I usually...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mid tier Mando that will hold its value

More often than not, the mandolin: guitar equivalency price ratio is about 2:1. In other words, the relative quality of a $2K mando is about the same as a $1K guitar. So, given the guitars that you...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Beard "Celtic" Mandolin

I've never played one of Richard's mandolins. However, I have a cittern that he built in 2010, and it's tremendous! I bought it used in 2013 from someone who sold it in the Café Classifieds because...
  5. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

I played one of those at Gryphon a few months ago, and it was tremendous! It sounded more like the Artist F5, but was priced in between the standard F5 and the Big Mon.
  6. Re: My visit to Northfield Mandolins and Elderly Instruments

It definitely is. :)

I visited the showroom a month ago, on a side trip from Ann Arbor, where my daughter now lives. I made an appointment with Derek to play the Quickstep and the EleOcto. The...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: RIP Frank Ford

Agreed! If you subscribe to that podcast, it's Episode 47. If you don't, here's the link: https://www.fretboardjournal.com/podcasts/luthier-on-luthier-frank-ford/

I'll second all of the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Shane MacGowan has passed (NMC)

"Sinatra was swinging,
    All the drunks they were singing,
    We kissed on a corner,
    Then danced through the night.

The boys of the NYPD choir
    Were singing Galway Bay,
    And the bells were ringing...
  9. Re: Buy a vintage Gibson or more modern mandolin?

I totally agree! However, I've probably played a dozen pre-Loar A's over the years, and some had way more mojo than others. So, I always suggest that people play before they buy --- which may mean...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Alternate Tuning For Mandocello

Interesting question. I've seen people discuss various tunings for cittern --- which is basically a mandocello with an additional course on the high end --- but not for mandocello. If other writers...
  11. Re: map of acoustic instrument dealers worth a visit

Looks like a great reference project! We're going to be driving around Lake Erie next month, and there are a few pins that are close, but not close enough for a detour, unfortunately.

On the West...
  12. Re: Our trip to Weber Mandolins and interview Ryan Fish

Great interview! The Weber tradition is definitely in good hands and heart.

If they're only going to be building three mandos a month, what will the pricing be?
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Rest in Peace Bobby Osborne

That would be a great Acoustic Oasis release, if the lawyers would approve!!!
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard Mandolins

Sylvan Music in Santa Cruz currently has two A5 Ensembles (#267 and #270) in stock. My mandobuddy and I went down there yesterday to try them out, since the last Girouard A's that we played there...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Your advice for playing a concert

For me, this is a tricky approach. Years ago, I took a great eight-session bluegrass band performance workshop, and midway through that, our coach --- a local professional musician --- asked me why...
  16. Re: Moving from Mandocello to Octave Mandolin? (chord patterns)

Yup!

The main difference from your recorder experience will be that you're going from C to G instead of from C to F. Another difference comes from dealing with a stringed instrument, rather than...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield NS-F5S vs Big Mon

I think that Northfield has done a great job of giving more bang for the bucks with their three F models. I like the Big Mon way more than the NS-F5S, and I like the Artist way more than the Big...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: The new Nickel Creek Album

Thanks for the list of songs to check out. I have a couple of PB albums, but only listened to them once. This will give me a more targeted exploration of their music.

I agree about the new NC...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

From the preview tracks, I get the sense that the upcoming album will be traditional, but not old-fashioned in the straight-outta-Appalachia sense.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

You might like John Reischman and the Jaybirds. They write a lot of their own material, and they're in a really nice lane in between the traditionalists and the jamgrass bands. Also, check out some...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Took the plunge

Places to start:

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Octave-Mandolin-Bouzouki/dp/0786686790

https://www.homespun.com/shop/hs_bouzouki1

https://homespun.com/shop/hs_mandolin16

Joe Walsh offers an...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

"To be obsessed with the destination is to remove the focus from where you are." Philip Toshio Sudo, Zen Guitar

Yup. So where I am right now is a place where I continually improve and plateau and...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: David Lindley, RIP

From a 2000 article in the LA Times, marking forty years of the Topanga Canyon Banjo and Fiddle Contest:

"Over the last 40 years, contestants have ranged in age from 4 to 98 and in ability from...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

I feel like I've logged in to the Medicare Cafe. :grin:

At 66, I guess you can call me "The Kid."

The question is, do you want to be an Ernie or a Bert? Actually, it doesn't matter, because...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman or Northfield Opinions

The main difference you might notice in feel is that Eastman necks are 1 3/32", and Northfields are 1 1/8" (with wide nut models at 1 3/16").

Looking long-term, and I know that many Northfield...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4