Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Flatwounds on octave?

I have an archtop Northfield OM, a wonderful instrument with a 23” scale. If you have one, you are probably aware that if you want the tone Mike Marshall gets when he plays that Bach cello piece on...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Why keys of B and B flat?

Here is one answer to the original question. A few days ago At a bluegrass jam I sang both “Can’t You Hear Me Calling” and “That Was Before I Met You” in C because D was a little too high for me to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What strings for 10 string Bandolim?

I’ve just tried a couple Savarez Argentine loop end silvered guitar E strings from Just Strings on my ten string Bandolim. The gauge is only .0046, but they don’t feel at all floppy, and they ring...
  4. 1923 Movie Showing Tap Tuning, Sand Vibration, etc. with violin

While Lloyd Loar was tap tuning his mandolins in 1923, James Reynold Carlisle of Kentucky was doing the same with his violins. Some consider him one of the best American violin makers ever. This is a...
  5. Re: Two New Michael Dubova 10 String Mandolas

He's a young builder and player. His wife's a lawyer and guitar player. He takes care of the kid and builds mandolins. Yes, he sells some things on Etsy, but mostly word of mouth in Virginia. These...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Side sound hole

I agree with Sevelos that a sound port doesn't seem to change what the audience hears, but it can make an immense difference to what the player hears. When I tuned up my new ten string Mandola, I...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: 5-string solid body electric--advice?

Wanting a five string electric mandolin and being on a budget, I bought a cool-looking little Chinese 8 string electric mandolin that looked a bit like a Rickenbacker. I found a five string...
  8. Replies
    Views

I often make use of mandolin descriptions and...

I often make use of mandolin descriptions and photos on MandolinCafe for documentary purposes, so I'm glad this is available. Shown here is Vern Bryant's #31. Dated April 10, 1993. He lives in...
  9. Replies
    Views

Yes, Santiago, exactly right. I forbade my wife...

Yes, Santiago, exactly right. I forbade my wife to have my kids study violin because I wasn't willing to put up with three years of screeching. (Instead, they play piano, guitar, recorder, etc.--my...