Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: How do you like your armrests (aesthetically)

I have the McClung style armrests on my mandolins primarily for function. I've tried to attach a photo of the one on my Flatiron F5 so you have something to compare with others that might be posted....
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Looking forward to more! I'm really enjoying your playing style and the variety of tunes!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Great job and thanks for sharing!! Looking forward to future postings!
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of your band!!

From several years ago the "Hard Tack and Honey Band".200149200148
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Seattle Jams and Meetups

The Goldendale Pickers Festival is a good one if you're mostly interested in playing music with others. It doesn't book special guest bands but there is lot's of good music made in the park. Due to...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing chords alongside traditional tunes

I first entered the "world of mandolin" when my good friend that played banjo was part of a group formed to play for weekly contra dances. He asked me to join and help provide rhythm for the dancers...
  7. Re: Shove that Pigs Foot a Little Farther into the Fire

Nicely done and thanks so much for sharing!!
  8. Re: What Sensation Should You Feel for "The One?"

I second the idea that a good setup can make the difference between an instrument being "OK" and one that is a "joy" to play. That is certainly the case with my 2009 Weber A Fern. It was a decent...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Brekke vs Traditional Bridge

Here's my experience:

I tried an original style Brekke bridge on my 1992 Flatiron F5 Master model and was very disappointed with the sound. To my ears it really muted the volume and reduced the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: How to remember tunes?

My suggestion would be to ease up on the self pressure to have tunes committed to memory within 4 months of taking up a new instrument and also having no previous musical background. To me it sounds...
  11. Re: Midnight on the Water-10.Anniversary of my Pomeroy A2 Mandol

Nicely done! Thanks for sharing.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Stewmac Tuner sale

Agree that Collings and StewMac were great about providing replacements for my Collings MT mandola. However, after receiving and installing the second replacement set from StewMac and still having...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: .017" A strings?

In reply to Chris B.

Just the heavy A strings. I replaced the 0.017 with a 0.016 and liked the set just fine. I also liked their medium set on my Flatiron F5.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: .017" A strings?

Siminoff "Straight Up Strings" Heavy has 0.017 A strings. I tried them on my Weber Fern A Model and they were just too "stiff" for my taste.
  15. Re: Any Mandolin Players on the Southern Oregon Coast?

Helen - you're going to be very greatly missed here in Sequim! We've so much enjoyed our jam times with you and watching your rapid progress. Keep that great-grandpa's mandolin busy once you're all...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking at BlueChip picks.

When I purchased my first BC I was surprised by how much I liked the speed bevel. I am currently using CT 55 with the speed bevel and find it a very versatile pick. However, I read that some folks...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Overtone Grommets

I can't find the previous post, but three or four years ago a post was on the Cafe that gave the following information about the source of the small grommets at a more reasonable cost.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: revamping a already good mandolin

I'm not an expert by any means, but on my Flatiron F5 Master the one thing that has made the biggest improvement in the tone, volume and sustain was the installation of a properly fitting bridge. ...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: These tuners are...

I too had problems with very stiff tuners on my Collings MT mandola. I contacted Collings and was told they had some issues with some of the tuners they'd purchased from StewMac and they have an...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Cumberland bridges

For what it's worth, my two cents worth is that the Cumberland gives a more satisfying tone on my Weber A model Fern. The overall tone is less "bright" and the A and E seem to have more of a bell...