1. Replies
    Views

Trip to Skye

Here's my solo mandola take on John Whelan's tune "Trip to Skye."

https://youtu.be/G1rBPDKWi8k
  2. Replies
    Views

Kelley redwood/koa F5

Just finished setting up this mandolin. It had a redwood top from brother Ken’s stash and koa back, sides and neck. I’m really happy with this sound. Nice trebles, strong mid-range and strong bass....
  3. Re: Andrew and Emily of Watchhouse Band hit by car in crosswalk

Update on Andrew’s Instagram page: 15 stitches removed. Now i just have to avoid screen time, reading, watching movies, bright lights, closing my eyes while standing up… that said i can still play...
  4. Andrew and Emily of Watchhouse Band hit by car in crosswalk

Pictures says it all, luckily he says he'll recover. Saw just now on Instagram and thought worth sharing. In our thoughts, for sure!

Dear friends, last night in Iowa City the two of us were...
  5. Shackleton's ship found (and yes, a mandolin!)

I saw this story this morning, that Shackleton's ship, the Endurance, was found in the Weddell Sea in the Antarctic pretty nearly undamaged if you don't count the areas crushed by ice when it went...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko

He was also proud of his Ukrainian heritage, especially poignant this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xewxt-BKarc
  7. Replies
    Views

Peter Ostroushko

Hi everyone!

Yesterday was the anniversary of Peter Ostroushko's passing and I just wanted to post today in memory of him and his music. If you are looking for beautiful music to inspire you...
  8. Replies
    Views

Ruhland Eye Candy

I thought folks might enjoy a photo of Mr. Ruhland's current work. I know I enjoy it.
  9. Replies
    Views

Campanella Due

Well folks, I've finally got one coming. I think it'll make a wonderful companion to the Halsey's...

Here are some specs.
    2020 Campanella Due
    European Spruce top
    Either European or Red Maple...
  10. Re: What Irish/Scottish music do Irish/Scottish people listen to?

If you want to go down a rabbit hole of great Irish trad music, the YouTube channel for Hup (a great trad programme that was on TG4, our Irish language station) is a good starting point:
  11. Replies
    Views

R.I.P. Paddy Maloney

Sorry to pass along this sad news.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-58881862
  12. Replies
    Views

RIP Arthur Stern

I haven't seen it mentioned here, but Arthur was a friend to everyone in the mandolin world and a brilliant artist. He was a long time forum contributor and a fountain of knowledge and experience...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: My MAS is cured.

I am like MandoMan. I have had some incredible mandolins. But, life happens, and after 30 surgeries I found my doctors wanted to get paid more than I wanted to have a mandolin. Ok, that’s not...
  14. Re: Carbon Fiber Builder wants our input on a Carbon Fiber Mandol

This just appeared on the Synergy Guitars Instagram:

p/CTGWrznsHTL
  15. Free Fall - Forrest O'Connor & Dennis Benjamin

Recently, I had the pleasure of recording an original piece of music with Forrest O'Connor. As talented and gracious a person as I have ever met. The result is the tune Free Fall. I hope you enjoy...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Archive - We need your help!

I have #20. Just got it back from Tom. He updated the tail piece, refretted and did a general set up. A great early example of Tom’s brilliance.
  17. Replies
    Views

Andy Statman Bought A Loar F5!

A couple of weeks ago Andy Statman made the move and purchased a Lloyd Loar F5 from Larry Wexer (wexerguitars.com) in New York City. His father purchased a Loar for him when he was a teenager, but...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Peace by Sarah Jarosz

Quick follow-up ... I noticed today while watching Sarah's performance that in measures 19 and 51 she doesn't keep the 2nd fret barre and use the 2nd string, 7th fret to get the E. She actually lifts...
  19. Re: Get Well Soon Dennis! (Owner of The Mandolin Store)

Hey guys....I’ve been running fevers for about 10 days and the Drs are trying to figure it out. It’s not Covid....they tested that twice now which probably makes like 12 of those I’ve had in the...
  20. Get Well Soon Dennis! (Owner of The Mandolin Store)

I saw this on Facebook yesterday. I sent some prayers!

21. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Orange is now Watchhouse

I've liked everything they've done so far. And Andrew is a phenomenal mandolin player. But that video? A big meh from me.....
  22. John Monteleone "The Chisels Are Calling" movie trailer

Some of our mando greats are featured:

http://streetsingerproductions.com/the-chisels-are-calling/
  23. Aaron Weinstein's New Apitius yorkville mandolin

Hi all,

I'm so excited by the new mandolin I just received from genius luthier, Oliver Apitius. In my opinion, there is no mandolin that is better suited to Jazz. And it plays like a dream. I...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis Waitlist

Here's a few pics of #500 since the above link is gone193137
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

I did this one today. Hand rubbed burst, scraped binding, and sealed. It was a good day.
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4