Search:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

Interesting discussion going on here. I've often tried to determine just what it is about Thile's work that won't allow me to warm up to it .
    My conclusion is that for me , its clinical and...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Education (trip to Carter's)

''My main takeaway from the whole trip, surprisingly, was that I really like my Kentucky KM 150, And don't really need an upgrade. And that it would take a few thousand dollars to get something...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Another "Which One To Buy" Question

Sounds like you've been bit bad , torpedo . Reading this site for many years now its clear that once bit never shy.
    Got no advice to offer in terms of the considerations you're deliberating over...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The Myth of Perfection

I'll preface this by saying that I'm totally respectful of, grateful for and endlessly impressed by the dedication of artisans whatever their art my be. I think most want to achieve 'perfection' in...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Thank you, Eastman

That's the only kind of grass I have around the house
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Thank you, Eastman

Three months ago I e-mailed Black and Decker Lawn Mowers about a faulty fuel tank cap on my new B and D mower . I e-mailed them several more times since. The cap loosens and falls off with the...
  7. Re: What are your favorite albums featuring mandolin?

The Eichers
    ANYTHING by Emory Lester
    Johnny Staats and the Delivery Boys
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: New Kentucky KM-606 mandolins are in the wild!

Interesting to hear you mention a lack of volume in so many respected mandolins as I have found the same . I played a half dozen or so used 'high end' mandolins at a retail festival booth last year ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: New Kentucky KM-606 mandolins are in the wild!

thanks so much for this post and video. I have loved the look of the 606 since day 1 but was dissuaded by the comments when it came to the tone and playability . your video is beautifully recorded ,...
  10. Thread: No motivation

by roysboy
    Replies
    Views

Re: No motivation

''No more jams due to the pandemic.''

??????????. Not sure why . We've jammed outside a few times ...kept our distance .....just wear a mask-or not as long as you are distancing .
    Most summer...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: jams with friends during covid

Like the song says .....you can live to be 100 if you give up everything worth living to 100 for. Seriously, it seems to be about distancing. So distance and enjoy picking.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD-315 vs Gibson Doyle Lawson

i too started out playing Eastman....and found it very playable . But as you did , I needed to squeeze more oomph from it so I went to the heavier strings and raised the action . Better ...but more...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Micing mandolins for recording purposes...

I have the Bags radius and LOVE it ....clean , even sound pre-amped into my board .I find using a mic live is just a PAIN .
    In the studio I use the same Rode Nt1a you're using . close mic-ed at the...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Parting with a beloved mandolin

I have an entry level Canadian made acoustic guitar - a factory second -which I paid around 400 bucks for new about 25 years ago . Loved the neck ...very playable with no bells and whistles . It has...
  15. Thread: Roanoke

by roysboy
    Replies
    Views

Re: Roanoke

good job ..clean and fluid picking .....your collings sounds better than I ws expecting ...actually more even and warmer and louder than many i've heard
  16. Thread: Eastman MD-305

by roysboy
    Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD-305

..... I have yet to play one but the Kentucky km 250 ( 252, 256 ) series would seem to me to be the best of all entry level worlds . To my ear , the Eastman just lacks a warmth and a fullness that...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: My mandolin got eaten by a Stratocaster.

The coolest thing about a 'mid-life meltdown 'is that the description of it is in the term.
    its like an accepted insanity ....like when 12 year old boys' hormones put them off the rails for about 8...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: We're not so weird...

At least with being a weird musician you get invited to parties and can get paid. My girlfriend is mainly a rock climber and plays a lot of volleyball for her hobbies - she always complains that I...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando-free zone

All true , of course , Ranald . I guess I'm at least as surprised that , as you rightly point out , there does seem to be an interest in the instrument by players ....no matter the genre , while this...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Would appreciate some opinions please.

buy 2 or 3 ....who wants to eat chocolate ice cream every day ?
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Was Neil Diamond Right?

Like Neil Diamond , I have made my living as a musician for over 50 years . I 've never stopped practicing , being interested in it learning , performing , writing , recording and have generated...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: And now ... The Loons!

''.........but produces an airy, dreamy quality that can be haunting and, we hope, enjoyable and memorable.''

indeed it is airy and dreamy, ...a VERY interesting sound ...just lovely ..some...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD, Silverangel Econo A

OMG ! I can hardly find a decent mandolin ANYWHERE in my neck of the woods ....the usual Epiphones , Denvers , Eastmans .......then you post THIS video and I'm almost in tears listening to the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Swimming in Mandolin Recordings

thanks for the heads-up. I listen to MANDOZINE RADIO online out of Toronto . I'm certain I've heard some of this stuff but have no idea reallly as its just on in the background . GREAT station BTW...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Kentucky mandolin price ???

hear ya ....you only need to look at U-tube to see what a glut of musicans there are out there now , though . Its not a novelty or a 'draw' particularly, to have live music in the first place ....not...
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4