Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Traditional Slow Airs of Ireland by Tomás Ó Canainn?

Personally, I'm drawn to the Slow Airs because they are played so slowly. I've found many on You Tube and they've taught me that not everything has to be played at breakneck speed.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Strap (or lack of one) issue

And there you have it, no strap needed!
  3. Replies
    Views

See of you can find any Homer and Jethro YT videos, Jethro never used a strap, he just tucked it in his right forearm , an went at the playing..

the Mariachi Strap , like Willy Nelson uses ...
  4. Replies
    Views

Do a Google for “ukulele strap no button” and you’ll see a ton of ideas. This link has one called a use leash just scroll to the bottom to see it.
  5. Replies
    Views

I have two mandos, a flattop and an A-style. Each has a strap. Both straps came with strings.

On both mandos, I just put the string through the hole in the strap and tied the string around the...
  6. Replies
    Views

If you bought a tone guard for it you could hitch a strap to that.
  7. Re: Saint Patrick's An Dro - Breton Tune played on an OM

The OP or someone else may be able to point you to some Tab, but I imagine there is very little out there compared to sheet music and recordings. If you don't read dots, then I'd suggest picking up...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Possible Newbie

I have it and think that it’s a great book. There’s a cd included and all tunes have tablature as well as standard notation, plus there’s some background on the music.

However I wouldn’t recommend...
  9. Re: 17th-Century Scottish Tunes arranged for Mandolin - Rob MacKi

Hi folks, Rob MacKillop here. Thanks for all the interest in the book, and also for the nice comments about my work in general. Much appreciated.

Mel Bay can't tell me when the book will be out,...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Wax on mandolin body?

This is what Breedlove says about their guitars and mandolins:

"Although we do not recommend a specific brand, many of our employees have been happy with Meguiar’s # 7 Show car glaze for polishing...
  11. Replies
    Views

Glue won't stick to any of those. Appreciate the look of fond usage.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mysterious object by tailpiece

Could it by any chance actually be a felt pick left there by a previous owner? They do make those.
  13. Replies
    Views

Don't feel small, John, language is a jungle made for getting lost in.

For an example, I have put the sentence

in Google Translate and translated it to German and back a few times until both...
  14. Replies
    Views

You are right, Phil. I somehow added a comma after the word "tailpiece" in my reading of it - and I was a teacher of English for 35 years, although I have been retired for the past 14 years! I was...
  15. Replies
    Views

On some mandolins the tailpiece can be too close to top or touching it and cause rattles so folks insert leather or felt to damen it. Look at your mandolin to see what you have there
  16. Replies
    Views

Felt was used often as a damping device, as Nat says above. Not sure what you mean by "strings on the top of the instrument where the strings go into the tailpiece".
  17. Replies
    Views

It's always been very much frowned upon to use any polish containing ''Silicones'' on instruments in case they ever require a re-finish or 'whatever'. Several years back,i owned a guitar on which i'd...
  18. Replies
    Views

I would advise against car wax. Especially on old instrument that can have some joints that are not tight (may be unnoticed for years). If the wax gets into the cracks or loose joints it can be...
  19. Replies
    Views

Since most of the wood instruments of that period were finished with some form of shellac, I would look for info about cleaning or recoating shellac. There are some experts here, you can find them by...
  20. Replies
    Views

Felt was probably to dampen the sympathetic vibration of the strings south of the bridge.
  21. Re: Beginner using Greg Horne's Complete Mandolin with questions!

I just had a look at the Horne book's online preview, and it looks really thorough! Should be a good way to get going.

First, ditch the ideas of "right" and "wrong." People learn differently, come...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Regal A-style questions

I don't think the bridge is original to this instrument. It might be but I doubt it.
  23. Replies
    Views

Referring to Bob Carlin's Regal Musical Instruments, 1895-1955, the inside label looks 1920's. On p.68 he has a catalog reprint page from Progressive Musical Instrument Co. in NYCity, showing three...
  24. Replies
    Views

I'd say late '20s to mid '30s based on the label and the headstock logo. The tailpiece probably says Bell Brand under the rust, and it's plated in nickel (not chrome). Bell tailpieces can be found on...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Mandolin Method Books

Don's Mandolin for Dummies. It's an excellent source especially if you can return enough cans and bottles to eventually get his "Exercises" as a followup. And there are a ton of Don Julin YouTubes...
Page 1 of 2 1 2