Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlbacks of Note

Thanks both! Wolle means wool btw, but I doubt they're made of wool. Perhaps a brand name or a reference to the softer sound (compared to other plectrums).
  2. Replies
    Views

Those picks are perfect for the mellow sounds the German school players prefer along with the Thomastik strings. Just the opposite of Italian styles of playing. Matter of choice and taste of course....
  3. Replies
    Views

Valbert: I wonder if stainless steel strings help with the corrosive sweat problem or if there is some sort of hand lotion that will counteract the effect. I am sure you have looked into it. Just...
  4. Replies
    Views

Valbert, where did you find such a beautiful instrument? I don’t see the crack, it must be a hairline.
  5. Thread: Bowlbacks of Note

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Nice!
  6. Replies
    Views

Valbert: I had one of those "hole-in-the-head" Calaces a few years ago. A very nice mandolin. Congratulations on your new one.
  7. Replies
    Views

1927 Tipo B student model. Price is reasonable and it looks like it is in decent shape though is almost looks a bit too shiny especially on the bowl. It could have been refinished or oversprayed....
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Info on this old bowlback?

Plastics- celluloid etc date back to the 19th century. I can remember back in 1983, taking my great-grandfather's banjo made in the 1890s to the highly regarded British archtop maker, Dick Knight to...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Info on this old bowlback?

The headstock and maybe neck profile look vaguely Roman; Emberghers have a similar headstock, as do some Central European mandolins. The bowl is reminiscent of a higher-end Calace I've seen, but it's...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Caterina Lichtenberg‘s On-line course

You mean the artist works one?

I am a subscriber.

While has some intro material, it pretty much assumes you can read music and have some facility with mandolin already.

It's strengths...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Calace mandolin, 1926 - value?

OK Jim, I've waited days for you to join this post...
  12. Replies
    Views

That is a Calace. I doubt it is worth it for anyone to copy a bowlback even for the European markets.

BTW what strings are you using? I love Dogal Calace strings RW92b Dolce on most of my vintage...
  13. Re: My bowlback collection - story and pictures...

Welcome, to the Loyal Order of the Bowl, Valbert. I have never seen any mandolin made in Hungary. That one looks simple but nice. BTW where are you located? I assume sine mentioned "bucks" that you...
  14. Re: My bowlback collection - story and pictures...

I love 'collection' pictures . . . thanks for sharing the pics and the stories.
  15. Re: My bowlback collection - story and pictures...

very nice!
  16. Replies
    Views

Calace firm seldom reply to emails for some reason (probably being too busy building instruments for their Japanese partners), so very little chance they take any interest in making a bridge or any...
  17. Replies
    Views

And finally some of the bowlback folks show up :)
  18. Replies
    Views

The eBay Calace I'm seeing, closest to the one we're discussing, is this one at 1600 Euros. I notice that's the middle of the range, which varies roughly from 20% to 200% of that price. That's a huge...
  19. Replies
    Views

I have an identical model listed in the classifieds and on ebay. It will gave you an idea of the market price at the moment. I've sold a few Calaces in the past.
  20. Replies
    Views

Anything with any value that can be faked will be faked someplace. I'm pretty familiar with Fake Gibson's. These not so much.
  21. Replies
    Views

I’m no expert, just a Calace owner, and it seems like a good price! Mine is a bit older, had been restored, and I paid a bit more. I understand the doubts about authenticity but Valbert’s seems...
  22. Replies
    Views

my opinion as well.
  23. Replies
    Views

It sounds good? plays easily? not too bad a deal if so.
  24. Replies
    Views

I have paid more for less. But you don't have a way to gauge my judgement. LOL
  25. Replies
    Views

That would be $382.77 in USD for anyone that wants to know.
Page 1 of 2 1 2