Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: A New Addition to my stable... a secondhand Fylde with a hist

I once had one of these, it's the only instrument I ever regreted selling, great sounding and easy playing.

Dave H
  2. Re: A New Addition to my stable... a secondhand Fylde with a hist

nice -- congrats!
  3. Re: A New Addition to my stable... a secondhand Fylde with a hist

That looks like it will be a lot of fun, and all that for a bargain basement price. Well done.
  4. Get your popcorn ready - sound checking different bridges

Four different bridges on a Blue Ocean F4, in order:

1) Brekke with Coombe style saddle.
    2) Regular stock Gibson-adjustable style.
    3) Red Henry style solid maple with 11 holes.
    4) Brekke with...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Found a local mandolin luthier

Here's the next video on tap tuning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7DSON0kS6U&feature=youtu.be
  6. Replies
    Views

Waldzither back from the dead...

Just finished this one off, Pluckthum waldzither in a sorry state:

After a "minimal" refinish with satin EnduroVar plus the usual fretboard and machine head work it's now...
  7. Re: Boom-chick strumming patterns for mandolin?

I got started on this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUCHfqMXGCo&list=PL118C93CC4E19F70A

Banjo Ben has a great lesson on his mandolin rhythm technique
  8. Re: Just Bought a Breedlove Crossover... not my original plan at

I played what I think was a Crossover OF NT in a shop in Scotland yesterday.
    Cost around £500.

I was quite impressed actually. A good instrument for the money, I would say.
  9. Re: Just Bought a Breedlove Crossover... not my original plan at

I hear ya OP. I went mando-hunting several years ago...stumbled upon a few Eastman's , a few Gold Tones and a few mid-level Kentuckys . Settled on a new kentucky 150 ....not because of its...
  10. Re: Just Bought a Breedlove Crossover... not my original plan at

I got a Breedlove prototype and it's by far my favorite mandolin to play. I'm with you. Let your fingers do the walking. It sounds great and plays great.
  11. Re: Just Bought a Breedlove Crossover... not my original plan at

Both the ears and the fingers have to be happy for the instrument to really fit for us. I used to want an F-style because of all the reasons posted elsewhere. The bottom line is that the F-style...
  12. Re: Just Bought a Breedlove Crossover... not my original plan at

Congratulations on the new mandolin. I too ended up buying something I hadn't planned on. It's an odd experience when our ears and our eyes don't agree. As musicians, the ears have to win or we will...
  13. Replies
    Views

Some fine old Shetland reels on mandolin

A new venture, gigging with melodeon player Leo McCann at the Edinburgh International Book Festival, in the wonderful Speigeltent.

https://vimeo.com/180028747
  14. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

Anodising creates an artificial layer of ''oxidisation'' on metal. This prevents further ''unwanted'' oxidisation. Chrome is a metal in itself & may the good Lord forbid that we have oven cleaners...
  15. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

I have never tried it on chrome but off oven cleaner removes anodizing really well
  16. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

Thanks for adding the 'add-on' warnings John. Reverse plating is the ONLY proper way of removing existing plating & that isn't going to happen in this case (i hope !). You're also correct re.sand...
  17. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

Metal bodies are soldered together before being polished and plated. The stripping process acts differently on the plating, the solder joints and the parent metal. It will be a holy mess by the...
  18. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

I made the assumption we were talking about the cover not the entire mandolin being chrome.

And I was wrong, it is a total metal body. I'd probably just leave that alone if that was me. Assuming...
  19. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

Since no one has mentioned it yet, maybe blasting it to remove the chrome and then having it powder coated would be nice.
  20. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

The mere thought of dunking a chrome plated dobro-mandolin into a stripping tank fills me with dread - don't even think of doing it.
    The plated parts were plated before assembly (obvious). You'd...
  21. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

A google search throws up at least 3 electroplaters in Stockport (there used to be a good one on Hillgate but I think they have gone). The last thing they did for me was a pair of motorbike forks...
  22. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

I've had a lot of success in painting chrome by using an etching primer first to key it, and over painting to the colour you like.
  23. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

A stealth resonator -they won't notice it until the twang is upon them ;)
  24. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

I realize everybody knows what you actually meant to say, but you might still want to edit it ...
  25. Re: How Best To Remove Chrome from and Resonator Mandolin

A plating shop can reverse the polarity in the tank and eat away the plating, leaving a matte texture. For replating you must remove 100% of the old plating. One reason this is seldom done is that...
Page 1 of 2 1 2