Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Houston/Pearland Texas Bluegrass Jam - Sat. April 13th, 5- 9 pm

Pearland Bluegrass Jam
    April 13th, 5-9 pm
    St. Thomas of Canterbury
    14007 South Freeway,
    Houston, TX 77047
  2. Re: What are some of the best Mandolins that you all have played?

Dave Peters' Nugget A5 Mandolin - which he let me try sometimes during lessons. Hands down the best I have personally heard in person / played. His Gibson F5 was just for media photos.
  3. Pearland/Houston (Tex) area bluegrass jam - March 9th - 5-9 pm

I'm the Rector (= pastor) of St. Thomas of Canterbury Anglican Church, which is located right by the boundary between Houston, TX and Pearland, TX.

We are hosting a free bluegrass jam...
  4. Replies
    Views

How to make the perfect round-corned pick

After many years of trying to find the perfect pick, I did an analysis of the optimal dimensions for a round-cornered pick and came up with a very cheap process for making them. I am sharing my...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Where to start with Jazz Mandolin?

I agree with all the points about listening, etc.

As far as instructional resources go, my personal (take it FWIW) opinion is that the four best foundational books that will lead you into jazz on...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: French Folk / Fiddle Tunes

For Cajun French lyrics with a translation, this website is an excellent source:

https://earlycajunmusic.blogspot.com/

Try the search bar on the link to pull up individual songs. Lots of...
  7. Replies
    Views

Here is a link to the complete early recordings of Denus McGee:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_krTgQO35Gqa8yg23REilzg52imZ-6WMMI

It’s an amazing album - the twin fiddle pieces...
  8. Replies
    Views

As a North American option, if you search for examples of the older, pre-accordian style of Cajun & Creole musicians in Louisiana, a lot of the songs and fiddle tunes came from France in their origin...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Why Mandolin?

Sorry man, chicks dig the banjo. Or at keast, that's what I told my kids when I went through a phase of playing my dad's songs on the banjo (had to be banjo because he wrote them on the banjo). And...
  10. Re: Emando settings for ancient Digitech RP 200

Thanks - I wasn't sure which effects to focus on tweaking first. This is very helpful.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Funk Mandolin - "Kiss" by Prince

That was just awesome! Could you post your chord fingerings? I want to learn this.
  12. How I upgraded a cheapo mandolin with minimal modifications.

This is an update (if I recall correctly) to a post I once made about buying a cheapo manolin.

I made a random impulse purchase of a cheap ($299) "The Loar" F-5 at some point (over a year ago),...
  13. Re: Sierra Hull's Turkey In The Straw Theme and others...

Thanks for sharing your transcriptions - that was a nice thing to do. We are all all looking for constructive ways to redeem the time under social distancing restrictions, and learning new breaks...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Luthiers in Texas (Houston/Austin)

I had Neil Sargent do a setup on my mandolin recently that made it much more enjoyable to play (and better sounding). Recommend him highly.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Loar forgery / fake Serial # 80263

What a great thread and an object lesson in caveat emptor!

Hmmm, this fake Gibson is acquiring quite a colorful history. If someone ever buys the instrument for a modest price (i.e., does not...