Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: David Grisman's Dawg pick

What makes you take a stand such as this? Does a fiddler say such things about their bow? How about a metal guitarist? Do they say similar things about their pedals? How about a saxophonist? Do they...
  2. Re: Does anyone get depressed or even semi-suicidal when they hea

I am finding some healing and maybe even some callous-building by recording myself often and listening with headphones so there is no escaping the reality of my own voice. I will get desensitized to...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Good news, bad news.

When paring down my instrument collection I always set aside one or two instruments to GIVE to another musician or aspiring musician. I had no such benefactor when I was without an instrument to play...
  4. Re: how many of you venture up to-or beyond the 18th fret ?

Oh yeah, quite often. I like my oldest A-style mando with it's very small fret wires for the best tone, but I play my Loar all the time up to the 21st fret. Which is where I ended my frets on my...
  5. Re: Does anyone get depressed or even semi-suicidal when they hea

Wow, for a while there I was very very appreciative of the considerate nature of your responses. Next thing I know I guess I'm packing my bags for a guilt trip. I love Ivan and pray for him. His...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: One month with new Eastman MD315

I find playing certain songs that really lend themselves to banging out 3 or 4 strings at a time works the wood in a way that seems to help break the ice of a new mandolin. Personally, I like the...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Goals for 2019

To love more considerately. To join no parties, political or otherwise. To keep my thoughts to myself unless asked. To choose kindness over correctness. To drive more slowly and try harder to be in...
  8. Re: Nominations for... Favorite Mandolin Duets of 2018

Here's a fun one I found from last year. What I really like besides the humor and musicianship is the fact that I get to hear an F-style mandolin coupled with a violin while playing classical music....
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: I had to share this with you!!

Yay! Take no prisoners my mandolin pickin' brother. Make it count son. Blessings and congratulations.
  10. Thread: Chords

by RustyMadd
    Replies
    Views

Re: Chords

I had trouble at first and for quite a while it felt stressed so I didn't do it often. Occasionally I would revisit the "chop" chords and slowly they just became easier until I can now say that...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Best Time of Day to Practice ?

My best time is actually starting around 9pm until around midnight. I find that practicing at that time establishes a cycle that is very conducive to playing in professional venues. But I'm always...
  12. Replies
    Views

John Denver playing mandolin

Hey guy and gals,

I stumbled across this video this week and thought I would share. I hope you enjoy.
    https://youtu.be/rCVpI4eXfcY

...trouble embedding again...sorry...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: In Praise of Mediocrity (?)

Ok, so here is why I am such a pathetic and cheap bassard.... Like Br1ck hinted at, playing professionally taints things and decreases the enjoyment of the pursuit altogether. I started out hell-bent...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Bad sounding notes

resonant
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: E string tuning down when tightened?

That is the "Martin Method". Thanks for the mandolin related video. Blessings
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: The Ballad of Buster Scruggs on Netflix

Well I thought it sucked and was a complete waste of time. If I wish to be fatalistic all I have to do is watch the news. They went from making a wonderful masterpiece of O' Brother to complete...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson vs Gibson Epiphone

Unless you are rich and can simply buy the best, never buy an instrument as a surprise gift. Question: What body style is his current mandolin? Also, I have heard some very nice Harmony Montereys. I...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Post MAS syndrome

I really kind of blew my tongue-in-cheek remark and just suffice it to say that I won't be attempting gentle harassment as sarcasm in the future. The last thing on Earth I want is to come off to all...
  19. Re: In praise of taller frets, or: why to refret your Eastman

I still have a homebuild strat body with partial scalloped Warmouth neck (14th and up), and it is my favored shredder. Tall frets or scalloping can improve tone, speed, and ease of playing.
    Blessings
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Chevy Hub Cap Mandolin

What do you think the maker was driving at? ;-)
  21. Replies
    Views

Pete Seeger Ripping on Mandolin

Just stumbled across this video and thought I would share it in case any of you are interested. Pete really plays mandolin surprisingly well on this version of Woody's Rag. Enjoy and blessings.

22. Replies
    Views

Re: Sam Bush Documentary

Watched it twice with the wife. Loved it, especially the part about "Diamond Joe" and Doc. Love that song..(C to Em back to C) such a nice modulation. Anyway, I am a bit sappy so, if any of y'all are...
  23. Replies
    Views

Halloween Costume

Hey just saw a girl wearing a BlueChip CT-55 Halloween costume. Thought I would share.172265

Now here's the question: would she sound darker if she was wearing a Wegen TF120 costume instead? I...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: tonguards ..do they really work?

Yeah, just try to work a single mic sitting down. Blessings
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: No to cookie cutter mandolins

Radical instrument designs are most often merely expressions of particular egos. If mandolin was the "ax" of Rock and Rollers, then alternative and radical designs would be more commonly sought....
Page 1 of 2 1 2