Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Online Mandolin Lessons

I have done several series with Matt and have been enjoying Mike's program, as well. Both are excellent instructors and I have learned tons from each. Their programs are very different.

Matt's...
  2. Re: Queries :Ted Eschliman's Four-Finger Closed Position

Indie, The are exercises to increae your familiarity with the fretboard in closed positions. Home is a straight scale. Thirds and fourths are scales in Intervals. The chord names are arpeggios of the...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield mandolins

Chris,

Thanks for posting, and congratulations on the new mandolin! Looking forward to some clips. I just purchased the same amber model from the Mandolin Store, but won't be able to get my hands...
  4. Re: 3 Favorite Mandolin CDs (not by Bill, David, Ricky, Sam & Chr

Some interesting choices here. Thanks for updating.

Will Patton - String Theory, but they are all good.
    John Reischman - North of the Border or Travelers
    Emory Lester - At Dusk or any of the...
  5. Re: Some variations on the Sorensen Sprite Two-Point

And then there are those slightly untraditionals, like my Mermaid Sprite. You must answer when the siren calls. Thank you, Steve, for the joy this lady has provided.
    Destined for a life on...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Celtic - what should I listen to?

If you are looking for instructional materials, you couldn't do much better than Marla Fibish. http://www.marlafibish.com/ . She has an instructional DVD which covers the basics and teaches a few...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Standard Notation Exercises for Beginners

If you want a good training guide, try Standard Notation for the Tab-Addicted Mandolinist at http://www.stringthingm.com/Standard_Notation_Tab_Mando.html . It was written for students at the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD305

I have bought several instruments through The Mandolin Store and have always been very happy with their service. They are very caring folks and experienced and professional. You may find as good with...
  9. Re: Am I Too Old To Start Playing An Instrument Now?

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

You start the journey from...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: War Veterans and mandolins

Thank you all for your service. I have a new and much healthier appreciation for you since my son deployed to Afghanistan. He used to play sax, but has been playing bit of guitar. I have a bodhran...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Middle-of-the road pick for beginner

If you are saving a few coins for a new mandolin, three less expensive and very common picks that are cheaper include the Dawg, Golden Gate, and the ProPlec triangle. They are all pretty commonly...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice Needed on a First Mandolin Camp

I'll be at the Mandolin Symposium for my first immersion in June. The River of the West looks like it's in your neighborhood and sounds great. I'd love to catch that one year. Check out the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: free online improv class with Gary Burton

Michael,

Sorry to hear you are dropping the class, but I get it. I am paddling like mad to keep my head above water and it's taking me much more time than I anticipated. I considered dropping...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Sorensen Sprite Two-Point mashup

I'm a bit of a polyglot, I'm afraid. Not much straight up bluegrass, but I might wander from Autumn Leaves to Black
    Orpheus to Rickett's Reel to a bit of Bach. Steve sent it to me with a set of...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Sorensen Sprite Two-Point mashup

George,

I use a Neotech neoprene strap. It has a loop for the headstock. I did discuss adding a strap pin with Steve, but opted not to. Ted put his inside the top point, and it seemed to me...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Type of Mandolin for slower music

Welcome, and I also applaud your willingness to take on something new. I started mandolin at 58 and it has been a real pleasure and source of joy. Some folks have mentioned the mandola, and I just...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Wider Neck?

Plus one on the Breedlove. I have an American OO and the neck feels pretty roomy compared to most of my other mandolins. It's very comfortable and was a nice transition from guitar for my large and...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Whatdidya' get?

Sounds like folks had a good holiday! My 60th was just before Christmas, and I got a new Sorensen Sprite two pointer. Great mandolin, with a very sweet and clear tone. The kids got me a Travelite...
  19. Re: please recommend: mando as lead instrument

There was a link at Jazzmando.com that had some great references, but I can't seem to find it after their redesign.

From there and elsewhere, here is a list of some very talented mandolinists who...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for: Gibson F-9

Or try the Mandolin Store. They just listed one:

http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=9659

Great folks to deal with.
  21. Re: Buy one, get one free! D'Addario EXP coated strings from Stri

Strings and Beyond. http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/ . Free shipping also on orders over $35.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Buying a mandolin

What a great situation to be in! In that range, you have a wide choice among the well known makes, plus options for working with a luthier to get something specifically tailored to you. I can...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: blues scale

The blues scale the OP posted was what I learned many years ago on the guitar, and learned the corresponding positions up and down the neck. This is typically what "position" blues players use as a...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Breedlove VS. higher end Pac-Rim imports.

They are VERY different beasts tonally, so it's kind of like comparing a dreadnaught Martin with a Gibson Blues King, or elephants and lions. The Breedlove is louder and rounder in tone, the Weber...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Breedlove VS. higher end Pac-Rim imports.

I have a Breedlove OO and have been very happy with it. I came from guitar, so the transition was a little easier with the wider string spacing. It plays easily and has a tone that has grown with...