Search:

Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Roland White death?

This is sad news. Roland was a dear friend and was a joy to be around. He was always fun to jam with and made everyone in the jam feel like they were a star. I saw the character of Roland when he...
  2. Replies
    Views

Epiphone Electric Guitar Mandolin Combo

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154654445333?hash=item24021f8f15%3Ag%3AHdIAAOSwP2phanfH&LH_ItemCondition=4

For some reason it reminds me of this mid-air collision which had a happy outcome.

3. Replies
    Views

Good bye Chick

I heard that Chick Corea passed away today from cancer. As a lifelong jazz enthusiast and player he was one of my heroes. Simply in another universe of excellence and integrity. About 5 years ago...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Very nice job: yes, finish repair/touch-up/color matching is usually a challenge!!
  5. Replies
    Views

Nobody said it HAD to be Mandolin related right ? How 'bout a nice 1938 Trutone D-723 restoration !! Gotta get that 'Glow' . ;)

Jim

6. Replies
    Views

Re: Laquer over tru oil ?

I have been told the “fat over lean” trope by more than one woodworker, but I have been corrected on this by a very well respected maker and frequent contributor here. It turns out the term is...
  7. Replies
    Views

I wouldn't try it. Shellac might work in between but I wouldn't trust it for more than a few weeks. Different finishes attach to themselves and other finishes differently, let alone the bonding to...
  8. Replies
    Views

I don’t think it’s a good idea. There is an oft repeated truism in wood work “Fat over lean”. That is, you can put an oil finish on top of a non-oil finish (solvent or water based) but not visa...
  9. Replies
    Views

Rub some Tru-Oil into a piece of scrap, let it cure for a couple of days, then overspray it with nitro. In a week it will be dry enough for you to judge the results.

If the sanding marks are in...
  10. Replies
    Views

Lacquer will stick to a lot of things.
    Try it on a test board first, though.

If you're finishing from scratch, I would use either nitrocellulose sealer or thin shellac for sealing coats under...
  11. Re: This is not your mothers cutting board mandolin..

Its a Tahitian ukulele......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahitian_ukulele
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: R.I.P. Mac Wiseman

Really sad. He was one of the most respected and distinctive musicians ever.

I saw him perhaps 25-30 years ago at, of all things, a chili festival. He wasn't scheduled to play but someone...
  13. Replies
    Views

I loved his SOP at bluegrass festivals: he'd just grab the members of the band that had played the set before his, ask them to stay on stage and back him up. Luckily, the songs he did were generally...
  14. Replies
    Views

Sad news for sure, Mac was still going strong last I knew anyway. I met him once at the Station Inn with my Uncle Gene who's band the II Generation backed him up in the 70's whenever they could, he...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Tru oil over Howards restore a finish ?

To answer your question it is helpful to know what is in there. According to the Howard MSDS, Restor a Finish contains a wide variety of different chemicals used as solvents, including heavy...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Tru oil over Howards restore a finish ?

I use Howard's sometimes on furniture projects here. It's good for a lot of stuff. I've never used it on an instrument. If you want to put something over the top of it, do not use their Feed and Wax...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: OK, let's talk about glues . . .

As much as I like hot hide glue, despite the fact that I use it for most joints in building and many in repair, despite the fact that I believe it is the best glue to use for the majority of joints...
  18. Replies
    Views

OK, let's talk about glues . . .

The recent thread on headstock repair inspired me to bring this up. In one of the posts, one of our members mentioned a fish glue repair that failed twice. When one of my suppliers first started...
  19. Replies
    Views

170041 170042
    Honduran Rosewood 000 with Red spruce top. This one was my guinea pig for the arm bevel.
  20. Replies
    Views

How to ignore the classifieds

For a good while now I've looked at the classifieds every day. Yesterday I realized I had not looked at them for three whole days. My secret? If you have a new mandolin, you obcessed over it, and you...
  21. Re: The Elusive and perhaps mythical MandoBass pictured here.....

When you start talking about this kind of thing, there are some interesting topics and considerations that might come up. For instance, how and why was the original made, and under what...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson with factory modifications?

Did get there this morning. Had to wait a bit for enough staff to show up to let me try it out. It's behind glass.

This is what I see - my first impressions seem to be correct. It's an early body...
  23. Re: Early medieval lute based on Cappella Palatina / Palatine Cha

Sound sample: https://youtu.be/bw8eoyLI_nc
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Sorry, yours no longer qualifies for this board, it has a bid and will sell.:))
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 gibson a jr

... And now it's in the Classifieds, with no photos. Caveat emptor.

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/123212#123212
Page 1 of 39 1 2 3 4