Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe Videos

Berkshire Mountain Bluegrass Festival: late 1980s before Tom Ewing took the guitar chair from Wayne Lewis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_6Tr7VcLh0
  2. Thread: Dave Harvey

by slk
    Replies
    Views

Dave Harvey

I had never given it any thought to the man behind the instrument until just recently. Little did I know how nice of a man Dave Harvey is. A great mandolin player as well. My hats off to...
  3. 'Invented' a brace to do the job of a tonegard

I have long toyed with making something that would do the job of a Tonegard (the wire lattice device that goes across the back of a mandolin to separate the back of the instrument from the player's...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull's Gibson

Agree with Bob A, this was actually a positive comment on quality out of Asia. Intent is important... political correctness can get out of control. His comment was actually about not being biased...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Sierra Hull's Gibson

I would disagree. Certainly no harm was meant, and the comment is in essence a positive recognition of quality across diverse populations.

There is such a thing as microaggressive Political...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Steve Gilchrist on Gibson and Varnish...........

For clarification, TN shellac is not Tennessee made shellac, it stands for "truly native":

"Most woodworkers think of shellac as a liquid bought at a paint store. What many do not realize is that...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins in progress

Building Tru-Oil coats...

8. Re: "Monroe style" doesnt quite tell the whole story..

Yes, it goes to show that an on-stage performer doesn't have to act like a sick monkey in order to move a tune along nicely and project a strong feeling of rhythm.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile on Jimmy Fallon

Personally, the OP's comments are just fine. A forum is for open discussion ........ up, down or sideways.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Ricky Skaggs on Bill Monroes playing style

Brother!

One guy is just happy that he's discovered Bill Monroe and the debate team has to suit up and start the endless haggling about who did what first!

If somebody wants to enjoy Bill...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: CMA awards.

I'm not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2OZl6d8KIk
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Big Mon photo

:grin:I reckon I'd be happy if they'd offer me one of the mandolins as a settlement.
  13. Re: Thunderstruck by Mike Compton's Words on Monroe and Tremelo

Mr. Monroe had a very long and varied career, so that anything you might say as being true in one era isn't necessarily true for every era (or ear!)

Simplistic? No. You will find a LOT of...
  14. Replies
    Views

my mandolin when i'm at work ...

my mandolin when i'm at work

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/wesb4217/coolmando.jpg