Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Another varnish question...

Hey TJ, I shared some emails with Rolfe Gerhardt a couple years ago regarding the varnish he was using. He was using Target brand finish EM 2000 (http://www.targetcoatings.com) and he recommended the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: hints for bending sides

I've been using an electric blanket, mandolin rib size from LMI. I didn't want to spend the money because I figured I could bend the sides easy enough just with a 2" pipe and a torch. It worked OK....
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Watson's Blues- 3 takes

Nice picking, I wouldn't be able to pull that off. I liked #3 though all 3 sounded great.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson smokestack rebuild project

Try this this (link)
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Most unlikely friends :)

Warning: No mando content
    couldn't help it, new grand-daughter and new salmon
  6. Re: How do you justify a high end mandolin? Or do you?

I found this to be inspirational does this apply?
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/entry.php?214-Lance-Armstrong-can-beat-you-on-a-40-lb-Huffy
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Replica?

About 12 years ago I was attending a contra dance in Santa Rosa, CA. Playing was a local band and one fella sitting in I didn't recognize. He was playing fiddle and guitar almost the entire night...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Airbrush recommendations?

I agree with Marty about the Harbor Freight air brushes. I also have an Iwata. More precisely an Iwata Eclipse HP BCS Dual Action Bottle Feed Brush. I didn't want to spend the money on it but it was...
  9. Thread: neck angle

by GaryTimmons
    Replies
    Views

Re: neck angle

Hi Steve, I've used a 2 degree neck angle on my flat tops. By the time I was finished they could have been 3. I don't think 3 would be to much. As for the truss rod I just used 3/16" cold rolled...
  10. Re: Graduations for A-style oval hole mandolin

Take a look at Siminoff's website he has an F4 set of plans available that are very detailed. It wouldn't be to difficult to not make a scroll.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: bending blanket

Thought I'd share a couple of pictures of what I setup for bending. A few Home Depot items and a LMI blanket. The blanket is 26" in length 4 more inches would have been nice. Over all much easier,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Cut and fit neck dovetail by hand

Hi Richard,
    I've used several different methods for joining necks. I took on the challenge of a compound dovetail because it just looked so damn cool. I've done a lot of different joinery over the...
  13. Re: Luthiers Mercantile International -- Contact adhesive

I bought "FCA" for my latest build to try out and I'll be using it again. I prebend my binding using a heat gun set on low they're not exact, sorta close. In the scroll I was able to anchor the...