Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Rootless chords

I think the key to playing a chord in which you omit one voice is to always include the 3rd and 7th (guide tones)--these are the essential bones of the chord skeleton. In your example you added a...
  2. Replies
    Views

Jerry Garcia On Mandolin

That's right - A new box set of early recordings by Jerry Garcia includes a live version of "Deep Elem Blues." which features hs instrumental wizardry on the mandolin. :mandosmiley: This song later...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggios vs. Pentatonic scale

You know its a cool forum when you get a comment from a player with the talent and stature of Don Julin. Thank you sir.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: no name two-points

and http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?10057-Don-R-Miller-mandolin
  5. Replies
    Views

Don Miller has a few music stores in my area called Don's Music City. These are the same Asian made instruments that bear the names mentioned a few posts back. He has his name put on them in China or...
  6. Replies
    Views

Also labeled under Ibanez and other names. Those Bella Voce style fretboard inlays make me think there's a Saga connection, though those inlays could have been made by a third part pearl supplier and...
  7. Replies
    Views

It looks exactly like the Washburn 2-points, just in a sunburst rather than the "distressed" brown look.
    --Tom
  8. Replies
    Views

That mandolin sure has all the hallmarks of an Asian import. The fingerboard shape and inlay, rosette, and sunburst look similar to many that came out of Asia a decade or more ago (I can't date it...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Jethro's Mel Bay mandolin book.

Yep, some other gems:

Flickin' My Pick
    Jethro's Tune
    Butterfingers
    Exercise a la Ellington
    Londonderry Air
    For He's A Jolly Good Fellow

What's great about these works is the inclusion of...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the '4' chord in key of F

For easy, 1st position two or three finger chords, you can play:
    F - 5301
    Bb - 3011
    C - 0230
    C7 - 0210
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Help for decreasing RH tension!

Yep

Death grip = bad. Relax, shake your RH out (like you're flinging water off of it). Relax.
  12. Replies
    Views

The best looseness tricks I've gotten have been from a hotshot violin instructor. (As with mandolin, looseness in the right hand is vital to getting a good violin sound.) The first one is to practice...
  13. Replies
    Views

Armrests are fine, they keep your forearm off the top. A Tone Gard does the same for keeping your body off the back. But I doubt either have much effect on RH tension.

The loose grip on the pick...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: My Soldier's Joy video and Tab

Good video Jake, very helpfull for someone who wants to learn this tune. If you are into bluegrass you should definitely learn Soldiers Joy. A fun one to play for sure.
  15. Re: Discontinued/rare mandolins, heres my Washburn M12

1. I don't drink coffee.
    2. I didn't think I sent anyone to the woodshed.
    3. How will anybody learn anything if they aren't told?
    4. I've made most of the mistakes that anyone can make in my...
  16. Re: Mandolin Trends according to Google

Another interesting graph:

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=mandolin%2C%20guitar%2C%20iphone&cmpt=q
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: 2 point mandolins-a few questions

Rb_6Y2W_5CcTransylvanian spruce and quilted maple Old Wave 2 point, one of many I made since stealing, er, tracing the shape of Steve Batts 1991 stealth nugget onto a grocery sack at midnight by the...
  18. Replies
    Views

My fourth build

Some pics of my just finished GBOM.115104115105115106
    Took me almost 6 mos. First time spraying lacquer, much thanks to John Hamlett for his advice on that aspect. Carved spruce top,carved maple...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Reliance on scales

A wise man once told me "What you practice is what you'll play."
    Scales are useful to practice , but never straight
    up and down the scale for me. Scalar patterns are more like music and you
    can...
  20. Replies
    Views

Wes Montgomery - Four on Six

Here is a transcription for 5 string mandolin of Wes Montgomery's solo form the record The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery. Click on the music to download the PDF.

21. Replies
    Views

A flattened 7th, so you'd spell it C Eb G Bb. This is a good exercise for some genres, but I think aiming for 7ths in bluegrass is going to sound fussy and too 'jazzy', so I'd practice aiming for...
  22. Replies
    Views

Very nice, thought-out explanation, Jake. Thanks. Just checked out your site,too. Some nice, helpful info! Good work.
  23. Replies
    Views

Dear Drum58,
    You needn't worry about overplaying scales in your improv because you spend a bit of time learning, and learning them is definitely the thing to do.The fact that you pose the...
  24. Re: Need Tips to Prepare for a Solo Mandolin Recital

Congratulations on your recital! There's some ambitious music there.

One thing I've found helpful is to differentiate between practicing repertoire with all its inflections and interpretive...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: melody / hot licks

And what exactly does "show off" mean. To play something that is not just a stream of eighth notes (a lot of them repeated)? I think you too eager to dictate the intents of others, and infer a lot of...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4