Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 305 string preference?

I have a 504 (oval hole instead of F hole) and I like D'Addario Monel, D'Addario NBs, and Curt Mangan Monels. I switch between light and medium because I'm indecisive.
  2. Wohlfahrt: Studies for the Violin, Op. 45

Hey classical mandolin fans! I've been practicing Wohlfahrt's violin etudes on mandolin for a while now, and I've just posted a video of a couple of these short pieces on YouTube. This is my first...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

My first YouTube upload! Playing Wohlfahrt violin etudes on my Eastman.

py0tRiYlpBY
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Jazzy tunes with good melodies

All of Me
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Just tuning. Will it make things better?

I wanted to chime in here since I'm also a pianist, and I recently dove into the world of unequal temperaments. This video helped a lot in terms of understanding the subtle differences between...
  6. Re: Where can a classical/Italian player find a non-bowlback mand

I'm also mainly a classical player. I got an Eastman MD504 last September, and it works great for that repertoire. It has plenty of sustain and oval hole gives it a nice, deep sound. Also, it's well...
  7. Re: Mandolin sheet music in standard notation only: where is it?

Totally agree w Louise on the instrument-agnostic approach of Baroque composition. I've been working on Telemann violin and flute fantasias, as well as the second movement of the Bach Italian...
  8. Re: Finding a teacher when you have very specific musical interes

I pulled the trigger on this one and I've watched/played along with the first few videos. It's really great so far, and definitely worth the money.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin armrests - Yes, No, Type?

I picked up one of the basic Cumberland armrests recently, having never used an armrest before. I play seated and use my forearm to steady the instrument. Going in, I thought the armrest would...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical mandolin album library list

Not a mandolin album, but I think MCers will appreciate this one:

I revisited it this morning, and I was just blown away. It's a really good time :)
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: On Line Lessons

Are there local teachers in your area offering private lessons over Zoom? For instance, I'm based in the Bay Area, and I'm taking online lessons through the San Francisco Community Music Center. I...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Classical mandolin album library list

After a cursory Google search, it seems the only surefire way to get more Calvo CDs is direct from the label: https://www.lafollia.com/commande.html
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Editions of Classical Pieces

Mel Bay and Hal Leonard have a pretty substantial selection of mandolin arrangements/tab of various classical works, but it seems they're mostly in the realm of anthology/sampler. I'm sort of a...
  14. Replies
    Views

String comparison forthcoming...

L to R: D'Addario Nickel Bronze, La Bella Silver, Martin Monel, GHS Pure Nickel, D'Addario Monel

Got a bunch of new strings in the mail yesterday! I'm excited to try these out over the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Adapting violin music for mandolin

Thanks for sharing the Manze recording!

My understanding is that the flatter bridge facilitates polyphony. And because mandolins also have flat bridges, I'm inclined to think that Baroque...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Adapting violin music for mandolin

All very good points, and I'll keep those in mind. I'll probably end up posting examples of specific issues as they come up. By "standard plectrum patterns," are you referring to pick direction?