Search:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Video: John Reischman's solo from "Nesser"

Nice. What kind of mandolin is that? Sounds great.
  2. Video: John Reischman's solo from "Nesser"

Hey all, I learned John Reischman's ripping solo from "Nesser" off Up in the Woods and made a little video. Hope you enjoy.

UhHBUl8kLs0
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tunes that lend themselves to tremolo

Blues playersused a lot of tremolo too.

https://youtu.be/KBw_xKf4-3U?si=imvXXqKa88_LAPp6
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Which kind of Mandolin you play ?

I play my Ellis F5 Special almost exclusively. I have a nice Eastman 515, and a canoe paddle, but I really treasure the Ellis. I have Thomastik Infeld medium gauge strings on it and I play with a...
  5. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

You mention both Gilchrist and Monteleone as comparison, so I have to weigh in. I've had the distinct pleasure of owning all 3 at some point and overlapped most of them for direct comparison. I...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard quartet - phase 1

Hello again everyone. Just over 2 years since my first post the Girouard mando quartet is complete. The octave arrived last Friday. It was delayed about 6 months just waiting for a case. Here are...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Heiden A-5 Deluxe vs. Collings MF5-V

I've had both and although there are exceptional Collings, Heidens are superalive. I've never heard an ok one. Michael's mandolin will I believe always hold value or increase. They are real...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Heiden A-5 Deluxe vs. Collings MF5-V

Ive owned both and my Heiden won out. Had it for 16 years now. So much more depth and nuance to the tone. You can drive it hard or play it or play it soft and sweet and it does both perfectly. ...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Girouard Griffith Tribute A5

10. Replies
    Views

https://www.facebook.com/groups/monroemandolin/permalink/6784461091646375/?ref=share&mibextid=NSMWBT

Here is a video I submitted to the Monroe Mandolin Appreciation Society.
  11. Replies
    Views

I missed this thread when it was posted, but happily stumbled upon it recently. I bought the most recent Griffith Tribute, and couldn't be more delighted! It is really something, powerful yet...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Compton playing my Heiden A5

Thanks for all the nice comments--it's definitely a lifetime instrument. Great to see you guys--Andy and Bill--at Monroe Camp. Your Buckeye and Randy Wood mandos sound exceptionally fine too! The...
  13. Replies
    Views

Compton playing my Heiden A5

They had a mando tasting at Monroe Camp. Here's Compton playing my Heiden A5. Why doesn't it sound like this when I play it? :)

https://youtu.be/B-aQoOSy2VM

B-aQoOSy2VM
  14. Re: Why do some higher end mandos return to the market so quickly

It is much easier to get a good mandolin than it is to get good at the mandolin.
  15. Replies
    Views

A couple of new mandolins

Off to the US next month for the Guild of American Luthiers convention in Tacoma WA. I will have a couple of new mandolins with me. The latest of the King Billy and Huon Pine oval hole mandolins, and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Kelley redwood/koa F5

Just finished setting up this mandolin. It had a redwood top from brother Ken’s stash and koa back, sides and neck. I’m really happy with this sound. Nice trebles, strong mid-range and strong bass....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Joined again "virtually" by our own Tim Sweeney on his beautiful Weber Black Ice octive. And my new dog "Bandit" who makes a surprise cameo visit. Thanks for the Listen!~o)~o):mandosmiley: ...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Campanella Due’

Joe is very proud of his Italian heritage. Campanella means “little bell” in Italian and Due is “two”…rough translations.

He was Lawrence Smart’s apprentice for several years. Playing the two...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Campanella Due’

Hey, Darwin, glad to see this sale came through. In another thread last year it was just a gleam in your eye! -- Paul
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Chop chords help

Actually, gradually stretching *is* possible.

I suggest you play it 5 frets up, as a C chord. Put your fingers down and play it slowly (not chop) to be sure each string is fretted cleanly. Take...
  21. Replies
    Views

Hi Jim. Here is a photo of the backs you requested.

The back/side wood as noted in my first post is African Sapele. If you are not familiar with it, the sonic profile is commonly described...
  22. Replies
    Views

Hello again,

I am happy to report that this project of having Max Girouard construct a quartet reached a new milestone. The Mandola arrived last week. The octave mandolin is constructed but...
  23. Replies
    Views

Mandolin Street Art - Denton, Texas

Spotted on Oak Street at the square.
  24. Re: Carter Vintage Guitars is now Carter Vintage Exchange

I wish the Carters nothing but the best. I've spent time with both of them and they're just wonderful people!

However, I'm not a fan of the direction all of this is going. Venture capital rarely...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Modern Oval Holes

The Girouard is going to be a bit more than $5k and a fairly long wait. I think Max told me he’s out over 2 years.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4