Search:

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: A new F-5

The mandolin arrived at its new home yesterday and the new owner recorded this last night. He plays mostly Irish music and knows where lots of notes are. The mandolin might well be seen around the...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: A new F-5

It is a satin rattle can lacquer from Germany, made by Wurth, who have branches out here. One can does a mandolin quite nicely. The top coat over the sunburst is three double coats, cut back very...
  3. Replies
    Views

A new F-5

Not quite a traditional F-5 but in the sprit of. European spruce and maple, ebony fretboard, Gotoh tuners and an Allen tailpiece. A K&K twin pickup installed with the socket mounted on an extra...
  4. Re: Orville H. Gibson research and biography

It has been a few years since Joyce posted anything here about her biography of Orville Gibson while she has been trying to find a publisher, but I recently came across a link to a GoFundMe page...
  5. Replies
    Views

A European style Octave Mandola

A new style of instrument, for me at least. A European style Octave Mandola with a 45cm/17.75" scale length made for mandolin orchestra playing. Strung with Thomastik 174 mandola strings. Soundboard...
  6. Re: Carbon fiber bar from neck to soundhole confusion

I wondered about the hole in the neck block :grin: For next time, it is best to drill that hole before gluing the neck back to the sides. Simple to do on a drill press with a drill bit the next size...
  7. Re: Carbon fiber bar from neck to soundhole confusion

Hello Matt,

Extending the CF bar into the neck block is entirely optional. It does have the advantage of both supporting the end of the fingerboard and helping to keep the neck centred and...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Quilted maple in Washington

We have been in contact through Facebook and he may well come to the convention. Alternatively, a trip to Orcas Is is entirely possible. 8-)
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: A couple of new mandolins

King Billy pine is similar to North American Western Red Cedar. I suppose both King Billy and Huon were called a 'pine' by the early European settlers as they are conifers rather than anything else....
  10. Replies
    Views

A couple of new mandolins

Off to the US next month for the Guild of American Luthiers convention in Tacoma WA. I will have a couple of new mandolins with me. The latest of the King Billy and Huon Pine oval hole mandolins, and...
  11. Re: The Australian Mandolin Quartet video demo

I had hoped that an ad in the Classified for the Quartet might have generated an offer or two, but to no avail. I did finally get some of the local mandolin orchestra folks to record a couple of...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Zero fret

I leave 3mm/1/8" of fretboard behind the zero fret and cut the nut slots just about down to the fretboard surface. One thing to be wary of is making the distance between the zero fret slot and the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Unusual Instrument at a Jam

We call them lagerphones in Australia. They appeared here in the 1950s, so the Wikipedia info is correct and they appeared in Newfoundland in the 80s, they might have even been inspired by our...
  14. Another mandolin quartet recording

My friend Tony Hunter, who recorded the instruments of my Australian Mandolin Quartet recently had a prototype mandocello and mandola for a while last year. Here is a Booker T tune he recorded with...
  15. Re: nut setting for octave pairs on an octave mandolin

I would suggest that each string be set up optimally at the nut. My approach has always been that if you push the string down between the 2nd and 3rd frets, the string should just clear the first...
  16. The Australian Mandolin Quartet video demo

A short video featuring the four instruments of my Australian Mandolin Quartet, each separately as yet. A recording of all four at the one time is being organised. Thanks to the wonderful Tony Hunter...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: The Australian Mandolin Quartet

The sunbursts are stains in very thinned satin lacquer out of a touch-up spray gun. Golden Teak, Brown Teak and then Walnut which are the available colours to suit from local manufacturers. I will be...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: The Australian Mandolin Quartet

After thinking about for a while, I decided the mandolin quartet should have sunburst finishes, rather than just clear lacquer.

205098 205099
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Parts

It might be useful to get in contact with Lawrence Smart, who has made several 10 string mandolins. The 42mm nut width in the Bouzouki Book would be rather wider than most mandolin players would be...
  20. Re: Tell me why not: Carbon fiber bracing.

There is a modern school of classical guitar builders who use a balsa/carbonfiber lattice for soundboard bracing. The CF is top and bottom of the balsa making it like an I beam, rather than...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Thats a suprise Regal Reverse Scroll

No one here buys Vegemite in tubes. Glass jars with a kilo at a time are the go.
  22. Replies
    Views

Mr Garber's geographical observations are indeed correct. Below is a pic of an Australian Vegemite and cheese scroll, clockwise! (Vegemite can be explained if required)

23. Replies
    Views

Here is a Regal branded mandola with a matching scroll on the head, which I think is very cute. Photographed in Fred Oster's shop in Philadelphia. I am currently building a carved top and back...
  24. Re: MAS attack - L Yosko labeled turn of the century mandolinetto

A few things slipped through the indexing process. You don't realise they are not there until you go and look for them....
  25. Re: MAS attack - L Yosko labeled turn of the century mandolinetto

Here is a Yosco bowl back from Fred Oster's shop in Philadelphia. It is serial no 601 and Fred dated it to 1920.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4