Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Elixir Mediums vs. D'Addario Mediums?

Has anyone used the Elixir mediums on a Kentucky KM-1000? That is what I am looking to use them on.
  2. Re: man I need a good tuner foot pedal model. not clip on

The TC Polytune is a VERY good foot pedal tuner anyway you strike it. A good second to this would be the Korg Pitchblack Custom. Also very good.
  3. Re: Disappointed with the Nashville music scene

You can find it, but maybe not on the strip. Many of the best players are playing elsewhere or touring. However, it is not uncommon to hear some great musicians sit in with groups in Nashville, even...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Volume boost pedal question

Not saying it is a bad pre. I used it with a K&K in my mandolin, and it worked ok. But had to EQ the heck out of it to get it to sound good. The Red Eye is much better, IMHO. And a better format for...
  5. Replies
    Views

I had the K&K Pure preamp, and it wasn't bad, but it had some wonky EQ controls better suited to guitar. In addition, it isn't a DI unless you get the XLR version. Personally, I think the Red Eye...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: TC Electronic Polytune Clip-on Tuner

The TC polytune works much better for higher tuned instruments like violin and mandolin than any other tuner I have. I have a TC polytune 2 on my fiddle/mandolin pedal board and it works great. Only...
  7. Replies
    Views

The Fire Eye Red Eye is a great piece of gear and dead simple to use. It actually does have a very simple tone control on it that is very effective, especially for dialing out any harshness without...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Man I need a good tuner...

If you are willing to use a hand held tuner instead of a headstock one, I would try the Korg Custom GA. Best tuner hands down for accuracy and low price, plus a great visual display. Otherwise, for a...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin sound changing over time

There is some evidence to bear this out. Instruments that are played get played in certain modes, in certain keys, that cause the wood to vibrate in ways that are more pleasing. The more the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: LR Baggs radius?

You should not have to EQ the heck out of a pickup to get a good sound. In addition, in a situation with drums and other loud instruments, a contact pickup, be it the Radius or even the K&K, are...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Not all Collings hold their value

If you bought new from a dealer, you can almost never get full value as selling used there are no guarantees, returns, warranty, etc. that a dealer may offer. I usually use the 50% rule. If you...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin to Violin

Yes, you can get some serviceable bows in that range that could last you a while. In live gigs I play a modern German pernambuco bow that is about $300 and it works fine for country, rock and...
  13. Replies
    Views

I can agree with that. Don't mean to nitpick with you, but I often find people, including myself, taking the bow for granted and not investing much into it. It is clearly 50% of the sound of the...
  14. Replies
    Views

I would have to disagree that the high range of student bows is $100-150. I have a couple decent bows that are in the $300 range and I would still consider them student bows, same with some costing...
  15. Replies
    Views

I come to mandolin from fiddle/violin, and that was relatively easy. Now violin is not particularly easy, as others have mentioned, especially when you consider the bow. The are tons or ergonomic...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Favourite overdrive?

Favorite overdrive that I have used to date is the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick ups ?

Not used the tonedexter, but I am using the M300 and it is by far my favorite pickup for mandolin. Very natural sound, hot output, and strong signal to feedback. It's a pricey option, but was worth...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick ups ?

The Fishman Nashville M300 bridge pickup sounds every bit as good as the K&K twin, but with a heck of a lot more output and a lot less phasing. I like the K&K, but in loud environments, had nothing...
  19. Thread: Skaggs

by illinoisfiddler
    Replies
    Views

Re: Skaggs

I think there is a classic Loar tone. It has a characteristic mid-range focus that really cuts through in bluegrass, and a slight sparkle at the top end. Many modern mandolins sport more full lows...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolins are Cool

I have a friend and band mate that does this, too. Ask them if there is a body of work like bluegrass music for ukulele, because, no offense to ukulele, it isn't the same!
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: SNARK ST-2 Super Tight Clip On Tuner

The Snark "super tight" is ok, and I have used it on mandolin and fiddle. But I also use a Polytune 2 on my pedalboard, and in a small, hand held tuner the Korg GA Custom is inexpensive and VERY...
  22. Re: 2012 Kentucky KM1000 Varnish Question from a Newbe...

I agree with Andy's reply. This is a really nice mando. I have a beloved KM-1000 that I gig with, and I am not parting with it. It has shown over and over again that it is a capable instrument. Of...
  23. Re: Pain in left wrist after playing mandolin

The critical thing for me is that the wrist is not bent at too sharp an angle, so there is as little tension as possible. If necessary, adjust the mandolin up or down to find the best position.
  24. Re: Pain in left wrist after playing mandolin

You may have tendinitis which can develop from playing a lot. You may need to get a doctor's advice, but usually the only cure is rest and refraining from the play for a little while. The other thing...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Acoustic preamp for mandolin

I have used both Baggs Gigpro and Para Di, and while they are high quality units, I found the frequency response was less than flat. The Baggs added kind of a bloated mid-bass, and a tinny high end I...
Page 1 of 2 1 2