Search:

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Case handle replacements?

Try a saddle and harness repair shop. You may find an acceptable replacement that could be dyed to match the case.
  2. Replies
    Views

Many years ago , I got one from my local instrument repair guy .. 2 kinds; buckle on .. inline or at right angles to the handle.
    dependant on your case fittings .. his supplier had a paper printed...
  3. Replies
    Views

Cody Shuler has been making exquisite hand built custom mandolin cases for a while now. You might inquire to see if he can help.
  4. Replies
    Views

My Vintage Cases website was hacked and is down temporarily. It's being rebuilt and should be back in the near future.
    The Facebook Group on Vintage Cases is alive and well....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Considerations for buying early F4?

Yeah, it was me.

Based on the recommendations here, I called Gruhn and ended up talking to George himself. I felt comfortable with what he had to say and he also sent me a video clip of the 1912,...
  6. Replies
    Views

Probably not what you’re after, but for the functional/funky effect I like, I enjoy carving pre-curved pieces of driftwood to fit my hand and the attachment points on the case, and attaching them...
  7. Replies
    Views

Give these folks a try. They have many styles so if you can't find exactly what you want they may have something that will work. R/

https://ohiotravelbag.com/pages/products
  8. Replies
    Views

Here’s the thread that mentions Mark Lynch. Maybe you can contact him. I believe he is no longer making them but I could be wrong....
  9. Re: 1911 2-point F4 with a Torch and Wire Inlay

Yes I know the cornerstone listing on reverb and evilbay was legit, it was gone then resurfaced from the Japanese seller hours later. "I smell a scam from Japan"!
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: D'Addario XS strings at 21 months.

I've had great experience as well with the XS on guitar and mando. I've got about 8 mos. (your 21 months is insane!) on my mandolin strings and play the tar out of it most evenings. I think...
  11. Re: Why not a domestic, hand built instrument instead?

Lots of mandolins made “overseas” go for a lot of money. Gilchrist. Duff. Forster. Sobell. Taran. Bula. Giacomel…..the list goes on….and on.

Talented people live in lots of geographical areas.
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Crusher turns 100!

Whoops! Forgot to attach this...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Fingerboard replacement due to CITES

I noticed Carter Vintage currently has a Gibson EM-200 for sale. NFI. They should be able to handle the paperwork involved.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: XT we barely new ya!

I just put a set of XS 11-40 strings (that D'Addario provided for Monroe Campers) on my Brentrup F5. Very lively. Enjoying them so far. Settled in quickly and great tone right away. Does anyone else...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Bravo D'Addario XS Strings!

I put on a set of XS on my Fern. I was worried they wouldn't be as good as the EXP-CM strings I used to use. To my surprise, I like them even better. Great strings. Wish they made them for mandola as...
  16. Replies
    Views

Just got a set of XS today for the F-5. Had a set put on at Grey Fox and loved them.
  17. Replies
    Views

I play anywhere from 2-4 hours every day, and generally I get a little over a month out of mine. Very impressed with them.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: GIBSON F2 selling advice- Greece

If this were an F-5 from '23 or thereabout, we'd send C.J. Lewandowski over for it :)
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the story behind the "scroll"

Of course the viol and violin families had scrolls on the peghead. Gibson, and Lloyd Loar, were borrowing classical design themes with f-holes and the scroll. The innovation of relocating a scroll to...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Fingerboard replacement due to CITES

Thank you all for your advice! So it is not that big of a problem as I thought . Elderly and vintagemandolin.com seem to have Gibson EM200s in stock; I'll ask them about international shipping....
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: High e-string keeps snapping, help?

Why hasn’t anyone mentioned excess friction at the nut? The tension is always larger above the nut, and friction can be quite large. The shape, depth, and friction is not easy to measure,...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: F4 design evolution/solutions

- you can see traces of toothed plane that planed surface before attaching fingerboard. the lines seem to go all along the surface which suggests the overlay was applied after that. This would allow...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: F4 design evolution/solutions

I posted many pictures in older threads that would cover some of the talk above. I'll post some of those and later Imay find some other pics relevant here.
  24. Re: Elixir Official Notice Mandolin strings discontinued

I based my post on a previous email to them.
  25. Re: Elixir Official Notice Mandolin strings discontinued

I think you're right Bazz. I don't think "coated" is the same as "cured." I've been using a set of Mapes 80/20's for the past month or so and I don't think there's another material coating the...
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4