Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Beethoven mandolin pieces on Musescore

I've just noticed that some kind soul ("E.J. Tromp" -- are they a Cafe member?) has uploaded Musescore transcriptions of the four Beethoven pieces for mandolin and harpsichord on Musescore. Even...
  2. Re: Drop Box is now available for Italian 'ballo liscio' sheet mu

What better way to celebrate Curti's life than to play his music! I did not include him in the Index or this forum before because he really didn't bother using the Italian American publishers....
  3. Replies
    Views

The Kensington Etudes - Chris Acquavells

As many already know Chris Acquavella (via Trekel) published a suite of 30 etudes dedicated to his students. He also released his CD of 10 of them "Recording Of The Dawn" (Bandcamp & all the usual...
  4. Free irish Session Tunebook Out For Community Comment!

Hey All,

My music teacher and I developed an Irish trad tunebook that we're putting out here for all to use. I know there’s already a few out there, but this one’s ours! It contains tabs and...
  5. Re: "VBulletin" at top of page, instead of MandoCafe graphic

See screen shot.

On desktop computers there's a pull-down menu in the left bottom corner. Yours is set to vB4 Default Style which is why you're seeing this. Switch it to mandolin.

On a phone...
  6. Replies
    Views

Scarlatti, K 513 for your winter gift giving

That famous Italian pastorale of the late baroque era, the one that serves as the basis for the carol "Quanno nascette Ninno" and numerous Christmas concerti and chamber works—did you know that...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko: Heart of the Heartland

Danke Michael!
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Carlo de Filippis recording

Yes, Mendolin, good work! you are onto something. Alessios is not a first name, but Elias' last name. His association with Carlo De Filippis created a strong alliance. They collaborated on many...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Carlo de Filippis recording

Hmmmm I'm beginning to think that Alessios De Filippis was purposely chosen by Carlo De Filippis to honor his Greek friend, mandolinist Elias Alessios. It may show that they were not only...
  10. Re: Seeking music by S. Seth Weeks & other Black mandolinists

I have found one of the Weeks pieces and copied 3 more while I was at the Lbirary of Congress, last week. First, an easy ensemble piece, Passing Guard March, for 1st and 2nd mandolins, mandola, and...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Ninetta - Mazurka by C. A. Bracco

Wonderful playing, Michael! Thanks so much! I love mazurkas.
  12. Replies
    Views

Musical Scrapbook from the Golden Age

Many years ago, I bought this scrapbook on eBay of musical brochures and concert programs, most of which are for mandolin or other plucked instruments. A few months ago I scanned it (to try out my...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Caterina Lichtenberg's Artistwork's Course

I went back and looked!

She does indeed teach reading. (As an accomplished reader, I skipped over most of it.) The reading exercises are simple, naturally, likely designed for a person who is...
  14. Re: Tracks of San Francisco Italian Mandolin Masters

After almost 5 years inaction, I've started this project up again, this time on YouTube because it was so much easier to organize tracks into play lists and edit them. Plus there's more traffic on YT...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: El Noi de la Mare

You are the living example of what a complete musician is: great technique, exquisite taste and a vast knowledge of musical theory...chapeau! :mandosmiley:
  16. Replies
    Views

Orchestral arrangements

I was answering another thread about sources for folk tunes in Asturias which reminded me to share a link I found for orchestral arrangements which have made available the Archivos de Manolo...
  17. Re: Early mandolin recordings / Correcting Wikipedia

Two new recordings are up. by Raffaele Calace, and his student Mario de Pietro!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfT2m1vmgW0

First, I have to apologize for the opening being cut off in the...
  18. Re: European vs American approaches to the mandolin

Here’s a couple of general observations based on my personal experiences. In my early Mandolin days, I had the good fortune to take lessons from 2 masters of the instrument, Jethro Burns, an American...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for Classical Music Recommendations

https://www.mandoisland.de/eng_index.html

Then click on the left "Mandolin Methods"

"you will find many historical mandolin methods which are generally not available today."
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Matteo Casserino Tune. Name?

This is my arrangement for two mandolins and (accordion or guitar chords). It is true to the original vocal score (1927). Listening to someone like Claudio Villa is the BEST way to introduce yourself...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Jethro Burns transcription

Hi Jazz and Swing Mandolin lovers!

The old link doesn't work anymore.
    But this one will lead you:

http://jrpmandolin.com/Tabs%20&%20Notes.htm

Have a great day!
    -Jesper
  22. Re: Winter's Tale 5 - free sheet music for mandolin trios

You perform these arrangements fantastically, and it must be stressed that Evelyn's arrangements in her books are excellent! :mandosmiley:
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: adventures in Italian music

The song 'U Carrittieri comes from the singing of the Sicilian singer, Saverio Benigno, and was recorded in NYC in 1918. The title means "the cart driver," and there are many examples of folk themes...
  24. Replies
    Views

Emanuil Sheynkman

I had this recording on cassette tape when I was first getting into mandolin. I was very inspired by Sheynkman's style and performance as well as choice of music.

He reminds me a little of both...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: 10 Finnish folk songs

Very fine playing, Michael. You get so many textures into the tune here, and I especially like the double stops and chordal phrasing and the pizzicato/string-damping you use.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4