Search:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Bowl back science

by Tavy
    Replies
    Views

Bowl back science

Interesting to see someone investigating the science of bowlbacks https://brill.com/view/journals/ijwc/2/1-3/article-p1_1.xml
  2. Re: Is there a treatment or cure for checking finishes

Finish cracks on lacquer instruments are virtually impossible to prevent in the long run. It's usually a relatively quick change in temperature that is the culprit, not so much humidity. There's...
  3. Replies
    Views

My engraving process

Hi everyone,

It looks like I joined back in 2016 but never posted.

I recently discovered the baroque mandolino and it’s fascinating music, so I have been lurking around here recently. I don’t...
  4. Replies
    Views

Folk songs from Boskovice

The Boskovice region, located in Moravia.

for Tenor Guitar

Songs: Kamaradko ma, copaks myslela? 00:00; Jora de na pivo 00:19; Ja touto steztickou 00:34; Dala sobe v Sebetove 00:53; Ho naseho...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Replacing a broken tailgate

Welcome to the cafe. If you have an exact fit replacement it should be easy. It is called a tailpiece however and not a tailgate. A tailgate is for a pickup truck. good luck
  6. Re: D'Addario Micro Headstock vs Micro Clip Free tuners

I use the little D'Addario microtuners, keep them flipped around backwards, and leave them on while I play. The little bit covering a part of the logo doesn't bother me all that much. But I can't...
  7. Beethoven mandolin pieces on Musescore

I've just noticed that some kind soul ("E.J. Tromp" -- are they a Cafe member?) has uploaded Musescore transcriptions of the four Beethoven pieces for mandolin and harpsichord on Musescore. Even...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Strad-O-Lin neck joint revealed

Here is a pic of the faux tortoise parts and the Strad replica bridge I am making. The tailpiece appears to be a Waverly cloud with the plastic attached by 2 rivets. Both plastic pieces are in good...
  9. Re: Do you know the name of this instrument from a shop i Paragua

Good luck finding instructional videos...

Kirk
  10. Re: Source/Size Rubber Silicone Washer to Keep Strap on End Pin J

This is the simplest solution I’ve found for keeping straps on endpin jacks.
  11. Re: Northfield's $200 Surcharge For Wide Nut?

Hi,

I presume that it’s not just the nut that’s wider, but also the neck. Then smaller production runs, hence higher costs. The increase in cost being down to overhead costs, rather than material....
  12. O Holy Night (solo mandolin instrumental)

Here's my latest instrumental mandolin holiday offering: O Holy Night. I thought it would be a fun challenge to try and come up with a solo version of this song that captures the beautiful melody and...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: early 1900s Wanamaker restoration

thanks, just ordered one of those bridges, looks highly do'able & correct, or as close to correct it can be, for this Wanamaker ....yes, if I decide to not utilize them, you can have the pieces...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Small Travel Size Mandolin

Try this: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/154400-Are-travel-mandolins-worth-it
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s in a Scroll?

Well ... I get that, but a cutaway does serve a purpose, making fretting higher notes easier, and it was designed for that. The scroll's most common use is as a strap-hanger, which it was not...
  16. Adding Veins to a Brescian Mandolin (Bowl back)

Here is a step-by-step process for adding veins between the ribs of a bowl back mandolin.

Strips of a light-colored wood such as maple are thinned and bent the same as the ribs that form the bowl....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Back shirkage on Gibson snakehead

Sometimes, a back joint will loosen up on one of these old Gibsons. If the open seam is not attended to immediately, it can be tough to get the parts back in perfect alignment when the joint is...
  18. Solo mandola: Le Petit Chien (schottische) by Andy Cutting

I recorded a version of this tune several months ago with overdubbed guitar and bass. I've received some requests since then for a solo version of the tune featuring just mandola. Long story short, I...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: El Dorado Hopi strap

Sorry y'all, had a hell of a time uploading pics from my phone. Hopefully this works :grin:

20. Replies
    Views

Re: What’s in a Scroll?

21. Replies
    Views

Re: Does this program exist?

I think this is still largely an open research problem.

I do remember coming across a product that was developed by a person who did their PhD on the topic. It was actually pretty good, but I...
  22. Replies
    Views

Slide Mandolin

Here's some playing around with slide mandolin. This is some of what is being explored in this week's mandolin blues lick of the day series.

https://youtu.be/wqYpXV2q6wo
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: I would like to buy a EMBERGHER

I highly recommend that you don't just jump into this without adequate information. When I first was interested in Emberghers there was the book "The Embergher Mandolin" by Ralf Leenen and Barry...
  24. Replies
    Views

My ABC Transcription Tools

Since the demise of the mandolintab.net ABC converter at the end of 2022, I've developed a very feature-rich open-source ABC editor and PDF tunebook builder.

It is available at:
  25. Re: Jigs on a Greek bouzouki - Kevin Macleod 2015

I only recently came across this video. I have no recollection of doing it! Glad you took time to look at it! Cheers, Kevin Macleod 👍
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4